Road to the Gold Cup 2012

The Times say that Captain Chris is a runner and if so the 6/1 looks a steal.

Looks a straight match between him and Grands Crus as far as I'm concerned and I would be happy to dutch them at 6/1 and 5/2.

It should be 2/1 Grands Crus, 3/1 Captain Chris, 8/1 bar. IMO of course.

5/2 looks good, 6/1 looks too good to be true!

Quote is "Captain Chris will go to Cheltenham if the ground does not get too..." I'm assuming soft.

Course is currently genuinely good all over, with rain forecast tomorrow and a bit on Wednesday, then dry Thursday and Friday. Can't be worse than G/S so I think 6/1 just has to be taken.

You are new to the forum, Zenyatta, so I will go easy on you.

You don’t just say the 6/1 should be “taken”.

You grab Victor Chandler by the lapels of his expensively tailored suit. You turn him round, and you smash the 6/1 right up his jacksy. And then you smash the whole package out of the ball park with a baseball bat.

You grab Victor Chandler by the lapels of his expensively tailored suit. You turn him round, and you smash the 6/1 right up his jacksy. And then you smash the whole package out of the ball park with a baseball bat.

:lol:

Class.

Whilst I remain hopeful he will eventually come good, the most obvious bet I can find is for me to oppose Time For Rupert with everything I've got.

:lol:

I'll try harder next time.

Pleased to see you going easy... but you don't want people saying you've gone soft.:)

I would have to go with Grands Crus at those prices. Captain Chris would be ahead of DH and TFR for me too.

As much as I love the novice (and he may well win), the stand out value has to be Captain Chris. He'll take a hell of a lot of beating imo.

Though he's top on rating's, I can't see why there's all this euphoria about Captain Chris, over this c/d.
His mark is derived from races short of 3m and he didn't appear to last home - even around Kempton's sharp track - the only time he tried it, whereas Grands Cru, although still a novice, is positively proven at the distance, and looks certain to improve again for this even stiffer test.

I don't like Captain Chris at all.

Don't worry about it he's not too keen on you either:lol:

As far as I'm concerned you can take Captain Chris's finishing position at Kemton and throw it right out the window for starters.

He had a far from perfect preration for the race and even before Ruby upped the tempo he was struggling to keep up. For a horse that's fast enough to have won an Arkle that's a sure fire indication he wasn't quite himself on Boxing Day.

Despite that he's got himself back into a challenging position turning for home goes past Somerbsy but just as he's actually getting to Long Run, the stride shortens like a horse who has just blown up. The way he wandered going into the next 2 and jumped them like a tired horse I'd say it was another sign he was not 100% fit.

No denying Grand Crus is a cracking horse but you couldn't say he was a brilliant winner of the Feltham that would have every punter in the land queing upto back him in the Gold Cup.

The second and third certainly aren't in the same league as Captain Chris or Diamond Harry so he'll have to step up a notch if he's going to win this.

If he can beat them convincinly he'd just have to go for the Gold Cup. If Capatin Chris did blow up at Kempton there simply can't be all that much between him and Long Run so this could be a real proper acid test for Grand Crus.

Grand Cru's biggest assett is his extraordinary high cruisng speed, that's what win him his races. He does not have an extra gear he can depend on at the end of his races. He was fully exposed in the World Hurdle in that department by Big Bucks when the tank emtied.

He had the Feltham won 3 out because Tom Scu used thst high cruising speed to settle the issue a long way from home but after the last the earlier efforts took their toll and you could see he was well at the end of his tether but job done.

He's also got Diamond Harry to worry about because he too cruisies through his races when he's right. They'd want to stay as far away from him as possible and not get involved and early door exchanges or he could end up in cruise racing mode instead of just cruising mode and use up way too much energy way too early.

The Minack also steps up un class but he was mightily impressive last time out, some of his jumping was impecable and he is no forlorn hope here. I saw massive improvement in him and could have a better chance than his price indiacates.

Diamon Harry seems to be continously on the sick list but he's at his best when fresh. Take a brave man to back him and a braveman to ignore him. He's the joker of the pack and I have no idea what to expect. At his very best he'd give anything arce and beat most.

All thing considered I have to go with Captiain Chris as I don't think he's had a fair crack at the whip so far this season.

I belive if he'd have been right he may well have won the King George or gone very very close.

If I am correct beating this young upstart who is Grand Crus should be a walk in the park for him and as many have said 6/1 looks huge. But then there are a lot of ifs so the price is right in my book

Interesting theory, Tanlic; the alternative being that Captain Chris quickened like a good 2.5m horse, then clambered over the last 3 when running out of stamina.
Also that the horse beaten by Grands Crus (Silvianaco Conti) wouldn't be in the same league as CC, yet managed to beat him pointless over hurdles.:lol:

Was not Grands Cru's time in the Feltham well superior to Kauto's and thus Caprian Chris's in the KG?

For me winning times have next to no relevance when assessing NH races, Silviniaco Conti also ran a faster time that day than either Kauto or Long Run and that tells you all you need to know:rolleyes::D.

In my opinion if Captain Chris stays (and I think he will) then I believe he is good enough to win. There are a few horses in here that have at one time or another looked very promising but ultimately they look to be just short of first class; like Diamond Harry and Time For Rupert I expect Grands Crus to fall into this category.

If CC doesn't stay or ultimately proves not good enough then I think it is a very evenly matched race with little to pick between the trio listed above.

It will be interesting to see how Tidal Bay manages on his chasing debut for Nicholls (and who rides, personally I think Daryl Jacob would suit him well), whilst I fear he's had his day there may be one last big one left in him, a little weight from his main rivals won't hurt either.

Likewise, whilst I will be suprised if he's ultimately good enough, it will be interesting to see how the Minack performs in this company and I wouldn't rule the seemingly improved Carruthers out of having an each way chance.

I'm down in Cheltenham for the weekend and really looking forward to it :D

Last edited:
Was not Grands Cru's time in the Feltham well superior to Kauto's and thus Caprian Chris's in the KG?

They were run so differently though that I wouldn't pay too much attention to that, other than to recognise that Grands Crus is a very talented novice. Captain Chris ran a sound race in the KG and will come on a bundle for that.

Back