Road to the Gold Cup 2012

6/5 now Quel Esprit.

The 4/1 earlier this week was a gift from the gods.

It is a seriously poor race. Any race in which China Rock is quoted as 4/1 is seriously shite. I have topped up my QE bet with a 10 e/w fun bet on Roberto Goldback, who didn't run badly at all in the Lexus. 20/1 is still available in a place.

Oh, phuket:

Synchronised will miss Sunday's Hennessy Gold Cup at Leopardstown after failing to satisfy connections in the run-up to the Grade One.

The nine-year-old, trained by Jonjo O'Neill, joins the list of high-profile horses to miss the Irish showpiece, but the Lexus Chase winner remains on course for the Betfred Cheltenham Gold Cup.

"Jonjo's not happy with him today and he's not going to send him over for the race," said Frank Berry, racing manager to owner JP McManus.

"He won't run again before Cheltenham and hopefully Jonjo will get him right for the Gold Cup."

Last edited:
Thanks Reet

What a **** poor renewal. Amazed one of the British trainers doesn't send over something for this. A very winnable Grade 1 with lots of prize money

What price would Midnight Chase be? In the context of the Argento?

It's the reality of the staying chasing division beyond Long Run/Kauto and without Denman/Imperial Commander etc...

Can throw a blanket over a lot of the rest.

very true... in Gold Cup terms the four you mention are/were all capable of performing far in advance of anything else around at the moment.

What price would Midnight Chase be? In the context of the Argento?

It's the reality of the staying chasing division beyond Long Run/Kauto and without Denman/Imperial Commander etc...

Can throw a blanket over a lot of the rest.

That is not really the point though, is it? Well my point, anyway.

This race could have had Synchronised, Rubi Light, Quito de la Roque, Jessie's Dream...even some English horses, Joncol, Kempes and a few others.

That would have given a good indication as to the strength of Quel Esprit, or whoever won it.

Now we just have 6 or 7 horses, of whom 1 (or maybe 2 if you count Jessie's yolk) have pretensions of being 170 horses.

It is gash.

Kempes died in December.

Good points though Barry - though they can only beat what is put in front of them and short of adding one of Kauto Star or Long Run I can't see the race being any better/worse than a UK equivalent.

I actually think Magnanimity could be a decent horse, although, admittedly, I was thinking more in terms of Irish National than Gold Cup........he could run well on Sunday....was only out for a run the last day. 6/1 is attractive.

I strongly disagree with Steve's view on Hurricane Fly/Binocular....but I do take his point on Long Run's price for Gold Cup when you look at the opposition. He'll go off very short on the day I would imagine...

I actually think Magnanimity could be a decent horse, although, admittedly, I was thinking more in terms of Irish National than Gold Cup........he could run well on Sunday....was only out for a run the last day. 6/1 is attractive.

I strongly disagree with Steve's view on Hurricane Fly/Binocular....but I do take his point on Long Run's price for Gold Cup when you look at the opposition. He'll go off very short on the day I would imagine...

I doubt it -I suspect the money for Kauto will keep LR's price longer than one might think - how well he goes in the Denman will be key.

Back