Road to the Gold Cup 2012

Hold your position - you are on the winner at a maasive price now!

Absolutely! keep the bet Euro and stake the dangers to recover stake only (in case he doesn't stay well enough)... I have. A free bet on the likeliest winner can't be bad.

Last edited:
My advice would be to lay off if you can at 11/4 or less then go in again on Saturday morning at best odds guaranteed and double result.
Saturdays betting will be ultra competetive.

I haven't, covered on TFR instead. He's actually good value at 4/1 on Betfair even without my previous on the race. Midnight Chase and Tidal Bay are both brutally short.

Every credit EC. The second season chasers are just muck and I'm disappointed it took me this long to realise this.

My Gold Cup strategy now revolves around getting my CC and TFR stake back via a place lay of Synchronised.

Somebody said to me today that they reckoned Pipe didn't run Grands Crus because he would have expected him to win, and that would have forced his hand to go for the Gold Cup. I've said all along that the Gold Cup idea seems to be down to the owners rather than Pipe. It would make sense and explain the otherwise perplexing decision not to run.

The race was very poor but no idea what was up with Captain Chris. I don't think I have ever seen such a strange performance before. I still have faint hope that he might fulfil the potential I believe him to have but I would need to see a much improved performance on the track before I backed him. He seemed to have completely lost the plot.

At this stage the GC looks a match between Long Run and Kauto Star, with Grands Crus the potential fly in the ointment if he were to run. Can't see anything else that might come out the woodwork.

Every credit EC. The second season chasers are just muck and I'm disappointed it took me this long to realise this.

My Gold Cup strategy now revolves around getting my CC and TFR stake back via a place lay of Synchronised.

Syncronised is the last one I'd be thinking of opposing, given how poor the vast majority of the second-season chasers look, relative to where they should be.

Syncronised tends to be snootily-dimissed as 'only a Welsh National winner', but it's not so long ago that the race was a legitimate target for a Gold Cup horse. He won a fair enough renewal very easily and showed he had no problems dropping back to 3m, when beating the best of the Irish in the Lexus; proving he's more than the one-paced dour stayer that Welsh Nash winners are routinely defined as.

I haven't backed him yet, but I am looking at him as one of the very few viable candidates that might give Long Run and Kauto Star something to think about. I think his place chances are pretty good myself.

PS. Nice shooting, EC1. Even a blind squirrel can find an acorn in winter. :D

Last edited:
He's around 4.1 on the machine now. If he takes his chance and the ground is good place or no he'll drift to double that at least during the race. I won't be risking much.

The race was very poor but no idea what was up with Captain Chris.

While I expected Captain Chris to be able to win this assuming he got the trip (which we still have no real way of knowing), it was not a "very poor race". The front two have run very convincingly and will have surely booked their places in the main event.

Thanks. I'm not really a layer anyway but it's tough to choose between TFR and Diamond Harry as cover.

Just seen this. I covered with Tidal Bay (win) and Knockara Beau (place) and nearly recovered stake. So I lost too. sometimes you do it all (nearly) right and still lose. Goes to show the race must have been quite decent when "the danger" was difficult to find... well done EC.;)

Last edited:
While I expected Captain Chris to be able to win this assuming he got the trip (which we still have no real way of knowing), it was not a "very poor race". The front two have run very convincingly and will have surely booked their places in the main event.

My comment in regard to it being a "very poor race" is in the context of the Argento being a supposed Gold Cup Trial. I think most would agree that whilst Midnight Chase might be worthy of his place in the line-up, it would be disappointing if a horse of his calibre were able to make the frame. I doubt connections of Long Run and Kauto Star were watching too anxiously anyway. Nicholls/Walsh even suggested that Tidal Bay would miss the Gold Cup to go straight to Aintree because he wasn't good enough for the race which says it all really.

It was quite obviously a very good race, but a very poor one in the context of throwing up a genuine contender to win the Gold Cup.

Any conditions chase in which Knockara Beau gets within an asses roar of winning is a very poor race.

Any conditions chase in which Knockara Beau gets within an asses roar of winning is a very poor race.

He's a very underrated horse and really good at Cheltenham, where he's capable of running to a respectable rating. Good run in the RSA for example where he finished upside Long Run.

My comment in regard to it being a "very poor race" is in the context of the Argento being a supposed Gold Cup Trial. I think most would agree that whilst Midnight Chase might be worthy of his place in the line-up, it would be disappointing if a horse of his calibre were able to make the frame. I doubt connections of Long Run and Kauto Star were watching too anxiously anyway. Nicholls/Walsh even suggested that Tidal Bay would miss the Gold Cup to go straight to Aintree because he wasn't good enough for the race which says it all really.

It was quite obviously a very good race, but a very poor one in the context of throwing up a genuine contender to win the Gold Cup.

Okay Zen, but when you say it was a "very poor race" and a "very good race" in the same posting it's a little difficult to second guess how good you thought the race was.

For my part I thought it was a fine trial for the Gold Cup, with the front two holding solid place chances.

Useful Jessie's Dream returns. Anyone heard anything on Quel Esprit running?

(3:45) 28F Hennessy Gold Cup (Grade 1) €92,000.00
( 3m - 5yo+ )[MAX 28]
NHFrm
11u3- 1 Bostons Angel(152)
(MrsJHarrington) - . ..... 11,10
-4p-4 2 China Rock(154) (MFMorris) - . .......... 11,10
316-2 3 Follow The Plan(152) (OMcKiernan)
- . .................................. 11,10
1-22- 4 Jessies Dream(151) (GElliott) - . ........ 11,10
1248- 5 Magnanimity(150) (DTHughes) - . ...... 11,10
ff1-1 6 Quel Esprit (FR)(150) (WPMullins) - . 11,10
1113- 7 Quito De La Roque (FR)(163)
(CAMurphy) - . ............. 11,10
394-3 8 Roberto Goldback(152) (DTHughes)
- . .................................. 11,10
p731- 9 Synchronised (JO'Neill (in GB)) - . .... 11,10
5142- 10 Treacle(132) (TJTaaffe) - . .................. 11,10

Last edited:
Quel Esprit is an intended runner Granger.

Paddy Power reported on Twitter that there had been a lot of 'shrewd' money for the horse over the weekend.

Back