Road to the Gold Cup 2012

I think QE is in with a place shout in March. I had a very good day today. Obviously miles to find on form; but there are grounds for thinking either the big two might not gully fire, and no other horse frightens me. Synchronised...pfffft

As I heard it Ruby had no enthusiasm in his post race interview regarding Cheltenham.
I had no financial interest in him but I think Bostons Angel was ridden all wrong today.He didn't have the speed to dictate the pace today but I could see him running into a place at Cheltenham.I would be looking for about 16/1 in the Betfair place market.

Last edited:
I think he is quoted as suggesting that QE is a 160 horse and has at least a stone to find with Kauto and Long Run.

they're talking down Grands Crus now.....seems to be RSA

Unless they're taking the pressure off themselves and will make a decision close to the time.......I remember them saying after his Arkle Well Chief was jumping over 1000 fences at home or some silly number prior to his win and no one knew

Last edited:
2013 Gold Cup could be very interesting indeed.
Long Run
Grands Crus
Last Instalment
First Liutenant
Bog Warrior
Flemenstar
Peddlers Cross
Bobs Worth
Al Ferof

etc etc

Writing off Kauto again so early.... Until they retire him i'm never discounting him again!!!

I think most did this in November, but it appears that connections too, now have ruled Quito De La Roque out of the Gold Cup.

The Denman today will be fascinating in that regard.

It seems to be forgotten nowadays how hard it is to win two consecutive Gold Cups .

Think people are forgetting but for arguably the best chaser of all time Long Run would have won both races this year comfortably adding another King George and he would never be the price he is now. IF they have ironed out the jumping kinks with these extra sessions then surely he is a moral even conceding the weight.

Kauto is the greatest staying chaser of the last 40 years. Moscow would have kicked his ass over 2miles.

A pointless argument - but at Kauto's Tingle Creek strolling best - far from sure that would be the case . Azertyuiop got close to Moscow . Kauto was a better two miler at his peak than that horse.

The problem Kauto for Long Run is he suffering from running his heart out trying to get so close to Kauto Star ?

A pointless argument - but at Kauto's Tingle Creek strolling best - far from sure that would be the case . Azertyuiop got close to Moscow . Kauto was a better two miler at his peak than that horse.

The problem Kauto for Long Run is he suffering from running his heart out trying to get so close to Kauto Star ?

Its possible but you'd think Newbury will suit him and I've got to be honest thought he was the horse to take out of the King George and thought his price should have shortened for the Gold Cup after that. His win last year at Chelt reeked of him being an out and out stayer he was first off the bridle of the big three yet still won comfortably enough in the end through stamina.

Burton Port would have won that if geraghty hadn't taken a pull at the last

My thoughts exactly. He must have lost around 3 lengths at that fence and was beaten what, a half-length? Is he still in the GC or just the National?

LR definitely jumped better when he was on his own between TGB and the pack (apart from a sketchy one at the water) but I'd still be slightly concerned at his tendency to make mistakes when other horses are around him.

Come on Kauto...

Burton Port would have won that if geraghty hadn't taken a pull at the last

I tend to agree - Burton Port looked rusty but I thought he was going to win approaching the last and the horse had not run for 447 days . He also had Long Run behind him in the RSA .

Long Run was spectacular at the last which won it for him but there were a few too many brushing through the tops for me . It was an efficient performance and he was giving 10lb away but Kauto Star will not be having sleepless nights after that .

What A Friend ran well but blew up rather.

LR's jumping was OK but this was not CGC pace . I am not sure that I agree that Long Run is below his form of last year . I think more likely that last year's GC was overrated and Denman was on the decline ( as the Hennessy suggested ) and Kauto Star was way below form last year .

The race seems now to turn on whether Kauto Star will get up the hill this year . If he does he is still the best and will win and off will come the roof.

Last edited:
Burton Port is primed to bounce on his next run I fear. Think he's a great horse though...Aintree might be his Grade 1 this year.

Burton Port (who I backed for today's race) is in the Gold Cup and was very nearly backed by your correspondent at the juicy price of 40/1, only I didn't fancy the walk to Boylesports (I was in Ladbrokes).

He is now into 14/1, which I did take with Boylesports on the way home. I think he deserves to be third favourite, and I expect to see him at 7/1 or less next month.

Last edited:
Back