Royal Ascot 2022

Sibila Spain Wednesdays unlucky horse will go for the Falmouth next month at Newmarket over the 1 mile again.

We will see if it comes up good to firm eh. A group one that race is.

Last edited:
The Gosden second string Grande Dame to out run the odds in the next I reckon.

A real pressure moment for Frankie. He had a great draw on Trawlerman but still managed to come out the stalls 3 lengths behind everything else.

Last edited:
My notes for the day, written on Wednesday (with updates in red):

4.20 - I’ll decide on this race nearer the off. The fillies don’t look great so Inspiral might be good enough. (10/3 Inspiral taken.)

I feared the worst when she had to be scrubbed along in the first half-furlong and was still worried when she was so far back at the turn but that must have been some final three furlongs she clocked.

Pleased for Dettori and especially for Gosden.

Same.

I had a decent bet last night, but was put off adding by the early drift. Doesn’t matter - what a performance.

Last edited:
Inspiral Coronation Stakes 9/4 - was the tops last year and should see these off if she’s made normal progress. Market should show if it’s a big IF too far.

Zanbaq Sandringham 10/1 - retained by Shadwell, re-appeared in Class1 Listed at Goodwood and ran ok, but not good enough to take up Coronation Stakes entry and gone for a handicap debut in this instead.

Almost a perfect day. I’d like to say Zanbaq was barged out of it, but I don’t think it made much difference.

Last edited:
Almost a perfect day. I’d like to say Zanbaq was barged out of it, but I don’t think it made much difference.

Indeed. All the winners were getable.

Well done Shady with that last one. My own mother had that haha.

Last edited:
Sun King in the penultimate race tomorrow. There's enough to suggest the horse is improving this season. 10/1 will do for me.

I won't bore everyone with my earlier picks!

Last edited:
Are Hurricane Lane backers confident he will handle the good to firm ground tomorrow?

With the dead eight runners I am considering Living Legend each way.

When you take out the Hurricane just on ratings then Living Legend doesn't actually have that much to find with the rest of the field.

I have put a line through the last day at Epsom. I think he can do much better than that. He strikes me as still open to more progress as a lightly raced six year old than some of these.

He's definately each way material with these eight runners.

Last edited:
You can never be confident until they've proved it but given that the Pattern has dictated his light career to date he's had to race on whatever ground he's met. What's to say he won't be a lot better on faster ground? He was reportedly impressing on the gallops last week and I presume the ground would have been fast enough then.

He could be a horse that acts on all goings.

He has won on very soft and his third in the Arc was on heavy ground.

One time he did get fast enough ground was when he just got up to win the Irish Derby.

Would it be fair to say his best performances have been on very soft or heavy ground?

I am not saying he can't win and there is every chance his class will be enough for him to win.

I am just saying it'll be interesting to see how he handles by far and away the fastest ground conditions he has encountered to date, (bar a shower at Ascot tonight or tomorrow).

He has plenty of stamina and if I was William Buick I'd utilise this by being close to where the pace is tomorrow, if not making it himself.

Last edited:
He could be a horse that acts on all goings.

He has won on very soft and his third in the Arc was on heavy ground.

One time he did get fast enough ground was when he just got up to win the Irish Derby.

Would it be fair to say his best performances have been on very soft or heavy ground?

I am not saying he can't win and there is every chance his class will be enough for him to win.

I am just saying it'll be interesting to see how he handles by far and away the fastest ground conditions he has encountered to date, (bar a shower at Ascot tonight or tomorrow).

He has plenty of stamina and if I was William Buick I'd utilise this by being close to where the pace is tomorrow, if not making it himself.

Yes, his best performances have been in those conditions because they were the conditions that prevailed in the biggest races he contested.

If he doesn't act on it, so be it. At evens or fractionally odds on, it's pretty much that price he does. Plenty of Frankels have been running well this week so far.

Back