Royal Ascot

That's got to be flawed.

15lbs per second is much closer to 6f.

On what evidence is their calculation based?

If they'd used that kind of calculation in Brigadier Gerard's races he'd be off the scale.

they my calcs DO..1lb = 0.0666 sec per mile..most figure makers use that as far as i know

at 6f its about 18/19lb..ie 3lb = 1 length

Last edited:
Rory

i'm listening to you on the radio..you keep saying it was Good to Soft today..the times clearly show it was Good ground on the straight course...they ran 41mph early on in SJP the round course ..so it couldn't really have been good/soft there either

but i thought the rating was based on actual performance then add + if they think improvemnet

Nothing was added on. Convert the official lengths from 5.5 lengths per second to 6 lengths per second and apply a poundage of 2.625 lbs/length and it all adds up the the letter (with the odd rounding error).

Nothing was added on. Convert the official lengths from 5.5 lengths per second to 6 lengths per second and apply a poundage of 2.625 lbs/length and it all adds up the the letter (with the odd rounding error).

are you saying the official 11 lengths is not what Timeform have worked from?

i'm getting confused...11 x 2.625 = 29lbs + 115 = 144..not 147

Last edited:
I'm guessing that they convert official beaten lengths (which can be calculated at 5, 5.5 or 6 lengths per second depending on the official going) to the same basis before figuring out the rest.

I'm guessing that they convert official beaten lengths (which can be calculated at 5, 5.5 or 6 lengths per second depending on the official going) to the same basis before figuring out the rest.

i see

problem is..Rory is saying on radio that TF state ground was Good / soft when it weren't..don't know how that would affect their calcs though

in fact..i'm gonna watch the foorball

it were one hell of a performance..that'll do

I knew this ridiculous idea by the BHA of changing the lengths per second depending on the ground would do nothing but confuse the issue :lol:

Put it this way: lengths are a unit of time. Either converting them to a value in seconds, or converting them to a fixed lengths-per-second value (e.g. the 6 lengths per second used on Good or faster ground) seems like a sensible thing to do to have your ratings remain consistent, rather than having them massively influenced by whatever the clerk of the course has decided to call the ground that day.

I knew this ridiculous idea by the BHA of changing the lengths per second depending on the ground would do nothing but confuse the issue :lol:

Put it this way: lengths are a unit of time. Either converting them to a value in seconds, or converting them to a fixed lengths-per-second value (e.g. the 6 lengths per second used on Good or faster ground) seems like a sensible thing to do to have your ratings remain consistent, rather than having them massively influenced by whatever the clerk of the course has decided to call the ground that day.

i can see where they are coming from..you go slower in the finish if its softer ground

i would imagine they were finishing at 6 lengths a second today though with the race being run in 97 and change..we could calculate it:-

if the length = 9ft then 97/586 = 0.165 sec per length x 11 = 1.81 seconds divided by 0.0666 = 27lbs + 115 = 142

if the length = 9.5 ft then 97/556 = 0.174 sec per length x 11 = 1.91/0.0666 = 29lbs + 115 = 144

Far better off to decide on it yourself rather than leave it up to whatever blunt rule the BHA have unilaterally decided to go with.

they my calcs DO..1lb = 0.0666 sec per mile..most figure makers use that as far as i know

at 6f its about 18/19lb..ie 3lb = 1 length

I obviously calculate things differently. I have 3.6lbs per length at 5f, 3lbs per length at 6f, 2.6lbs/L @ 7f and 2.25lbs/L at a mile. I'm not sure how you'd calculate it as spm since weight carried at the standard time would have to be factored in. That's based on Raceform's formula.

Ah, so Timeform's horses are shorter than everybody else's...

This is all hugely interesting but cannot we all wait till the end of the week for ratings.....what wins tomorrow????

Duntle ran a blinder at Leopardtown after chasing a suicidal pace. Of ridden with slightly more restraint is a bet at 6's in the Sandringham...

Back