Royal Ascot

Carlton House was not the 4th best horse! He was definitely in the top 3. He looked all class but was beaten by a better horse.

Reliable Man ran right up to his best I would think but he's just not good enough.

Farhh fell out of the stalls as well.

Looks to me like most of Farhh's problems go back to his rearing up in the stalls rather than anything Dettori did.

Carlton House was not the 4th best horse! He was definitely in the top 3. He looked all class but was beaten by a better horse.

Reliable Man ran right up to his best I would think but he's just not good enough.

He got the run of the race and had the best rider. Reliable Man was at the back on the outside. Yer typical hard luck story on tracks like Ascot and Longchamp. On form there is very little between the pair, they'be both 122-124 horses. But Reliable Man was three times the price. I'm starting to think form study and prices are irrelevant to showing a profit.

Farhh not helped by his start, but plenty of time for Dettori to put him in the right place, which he palpably failed to do. He'd have won given the same circumstances a few years ago, but the mojo is gone.

He made the best of the bad break by saving ground on the inside and once that happens he's at the mercy of the gaps (and the weakening pacemaker).

He made the best of the bad break by saving ground on the inside and once that happens he's at the mercy of the gaps (and the weakening pacemaker).
It's a myth of geometry that you save that much ground round the inner. If you circumnavigated the entire globe going 4 horses wide, you'd only travel 40 feet further. :ninja:

It's a myth of geometry that you save that much ground round the inner.

The dolling out of the rail, which looks less than 4 horse widths and doesn't go all the way around, added 9yds to the distance. That's only an extra 0.4% of the whole distance, which doesn't look much, but 0.4% of the final race time is half a second - 3 lengths.

If you circumnavigated the entire globe going 4 horses wide, you'd only travel 40 feet further. :ninja:

How many 90 degree turns would you do?

The dolling out of the rail, which looks less than 4 horse widths and doesn't go all the way around, added 9yds to the distance. That's only an extra 0.4% of the whole distance, which doesn't look much, but 0.4% of the final race time is half a second - 3 lengths.

How many 90 degree turns would you do?

Joking aside, it's important to realise that momentum is much more important than actual distance travelled - if you can get an unchecked passage up the inner, you're in clover, but how likely is that to happen in a competitive race at Royal Ascot?

Back