Royal Ascot

All credit to The Fugue, cracking mare.
Will have to wait and see if anything comes to light regards Treve as connections seem to think she wasn't right.

Frankel - I know that but no doubt the decision had been made before the race by Toormore's connections that he would not be sent on .

That is the point I'm making. The race was run as planned for both horses in terms of tactics. One i happen to think would not have suited either in trying to beat Kingman.

Will have to wait and see if anything comes to light regards Treve as connections seem to think she wasn't right.

Not buying that. Yes she had half a stone on the other two based on ratings but that rating was achieved on her 3yo form and Arc winners almost never improve enough from 3 to 4 to offset the reduction in WFA (Montjeu excepted in the King George). So in reality she probably only had maybe 3 or 4lbs over them and the ground clearly suited The Fugue and Magician much much more.

Not buying that. Yes she had half a stone on the other two based on ratings but that rating was achieved on her 3yo form and Arc winners almost never improve enough from 3 to 4 to offset the reduction in WFA (Montjeu excepted in the King George). So in reality she probably only had maybe 3 or 4lbs over them and the ground clearly suited The Fugue and Magician much much more.

Spot on.

I have explained it many times,
Treve is overrated when orfevre run a stinker, i think she run today very close to her best.

I actually tend to agree. Doubt much will come to light. The ground was the key. She used most of her energy keeping up which blunted her electric kick.
Over 10f she for sure needs some cut. Will probably get away with less give over 12f.

Anyone think they can quantify the foreign form of ribblesdale and gold cup runners, final score & altano?

Even on the form with CDA, Treve was was entitled to be alongside The Fugue today.

Orfevre may have been below his best in the Arc but was everything else?

As for Altano, I've backed him. I don't believe he is as ground dependent as generally perceived. He was as unlucky as Simenon last year and his stamina is fully proven. Leading Light will need to be everything SteveM believes him to be to beat him.

Altano is slow but if they had 3 mie flat races he would be a triple world champion. He will definitely stay but I think the ground will hinder his chances. Can't see him winning.

Well done the other Barry, 2 good 2yo tips the past 2 days.

Nice touch on her today. It seems there were quite a few likemimded folk on here today so well done all. I knew Murtagh thinks a lot of Puck Fair and was gutted she was beaten by 6 lenghts in Tipp. It doesn't look so bad now.

Cannock Chase is a big bet for me tomorrow.

Was at Newbury last time and he is a gorgeous horse to look at. Won what looked a strong 3yo handicap in pretty convincing fashion after having to wait for a gap; he looked value for more than the winning distance. Has to improve but I think this is the right race for him and he looked all over a group horse in the making.

Rest of the field look like listed/ top handicappers of the future.

I like Obliterator in that despite Frank riding him. Forget it's last run as the wheels were spinning.

Don't think Colin Keane will claim the full 3 lbs from Third Dimension but still could be very feasibly handicapped in the Britannia. Should I be concerned about box 31?

Cannock Chase is a barge pole job for me. He's tomorrow's Abseil.

I was very impressed last time. This is a big step up and he has it all to do on ratings but the way he quickened up suggested he has plenty of class. Hadn't looked at it until today but I'd been planning on backing this horse next time out, particularly if he showed up in this rather than the 1m4f King Edward.

Outstanding Ascot so far with seven consecutive winners over the first two days. Having said that they haven’t been too difficult to find. Going as predicted is Good/Firm virtually all over now (blue on chart) http://maps.turftrax.co.uk/courseservices/ASCOT/maps/18-06-2014/332.jpg
All on Leading Light tomorrow with Brown Panther and last year’s winner (although a better race this year) to give him most to do in terms of stamina.

"steadied start, held up well in rear, last and still plenty to do when switched right over 2f out, stayed on inside final furlong, went 3rd final 100 yards and kept on, no chance of reaching leading duo"

If Jamie had a really big headstone, we have his epitah ready.

Though she's had her problems, Estimate has been trained all season with this race in mind. Slightly better field than last year, but SMS indicated then there may be improvement in her, and that she's been kept in training suggests it's not unexpected.

In the gold cup brown panther for me is the bet. Bit fan of missunited but surely this is too much of an ask...??? People might be overlooking Simenon who is probably overpriced but has had a strange prep for the race globetrotting.

These 8:30am early prices from Hills are proving quite excellent this week.
This morning's ones e.g.:
The Great War -- 5/4 (Betfair 1.98)
Cannock Chase -- 11/4 (3.5)
Leading Light -- 6/4 ( 2.18)
Bright Approach -- 8/1 (7.4)
etc
etc.

Can't have Leading Light at the price. I've backed Altano with & without the fav and a bit of sickness insurance on Simenon (35/1).

Back