Sprinting Division

Starspangledbanner: 72.57s carrying 9st 4lb
Laddies Poker Two: 72.27 carrying 8st 11lb

So the difference is 0.30s, carrying 7lbs less.

0.30s = 1.8 lengths, which is around 5lbs.

So she didn't quite bridge the gap... but of course, she would have had the 3lb fillies allowance in the Golden Jubilee.

Carson says there's nothing for her at Deauville....

I mean FFS, why do they employ him?!

There are two Summer sprint targets, The July Cup and the Maurice Gheest.

Watch out for Amico Fitz in that Deauville race Stan - finishing really well and looks like he'll appreciate the step up in trip.

There's a Group 3 fillies race at York too around July Cup time too for her I think.

Last edited:
The pace of the Golden Jubilee might have been that little bit slower; particularly given how the winner made all.

Almost certainly.

Wouldn't read too much into a direct comparison of times although LPT was incredibly impressive. As with Invisible Man and Treadwell, it may have been the case that the leaders were stopping but that's just conjecture on my part at this stage.

Treadwell's jockey (Sweeney?) said he couldn't believe how quickly they were coming back to him. I find that kind of feedback very helpful.

She won't go for the July Cup if Starspangledbanner goes there....if they want him back in Australia for covering will he make Newmarket?

O'Brien seemed to think he would. With a name like that, they'd love to take him to the Breeders Cup!

I would think Mr Curtis has an interesting job!

By Martin Kelly, Press Association Sport

http://gallery.sportinglife.com/Gallery_Detail/0,17732,13262_6214280,00.html Starspangledbanner followed in his father's footsteps as the son of Australian champion Choisir blazed to victory in the Golden Jubilee Stakes at Royal Ascot.
Aidan O'Brien warned jockey Johnny Murtagh before his British debut at York last month that he would need a parachute to slow the four-year-old such was his blistering speed.
And while he may have been beaten that day, the colt showed his true colours on the final day of the Royal meeting as he made all on the stands rail to take the six-furlong dash.
The powerful individual joined O'Brien in Ireland from Australia at the end of March and has been burning up the Ballydoyle gallops in sensational times.
Murtagh reported him to have come on 20 lengths for his Duke Of York fifth and he had little bother in providing O'Brien with his 31st Royal win and his third of the week.
Murtagh stole an advantage breaking from his inside berth and was never headed as the 13-2 joint favourite blitzed his way to a length-and-three-quarter success.
James Fanshawe's 50-1 chance Society Rock took the minor honours ahead of American runner Kinsale King, with Fleeting Spirit leading home the far side group in fourth.
O'Brien said: "If he hit the gates the way we thought he could, then we knew it would be straightforward as there is no horse who can lead him.
"I have not seen the time of the race but can believe it is quick as he sets serious fractions at home.
"He worked coming here and did the second-last furlong in just over 9.5 seconds. We have never had that before and I have never seen a horse do less than 10 seconds.
"Tom Curtis takes the times and he had to go and check the GPS system to make sure it is working as we couldn't believe it. He is one of those very unusual beasts.
"It is incredible that he was able to win over a mile in Australia and he came over with a massive reputation. We were very lucky to get him.
"He's the fastest we've had, no doubt. We've never had one go that fast furlong by furlong. You don't record those kind of times, we hadn't recorded them anyway.
"We will look forward to the July Cup, hopefully. He's an incredible sprinter."
Choisir landed the Golden Jubilee in 2003 and went on to finish second in the July Cup, a race for which William Hill quote him as the 7-2 favourite.
Murtagh added: "Aidan was very confident coming into this race. He told me just to jump him out and let him use that stride and when you get to the two pole, don't be anxious and when you do go for him I think he will respond today.
"Everything just worked perfect. He jumped well, travelled really well, a good strong gallop all the way.
"I sensed them coming to him at the two and when I let him go, he ran straight up the rail. He responded very well and went all the way to the line. I couldn't pull him up. He's a great horse.
"He's very similar to his sire Choisir, big and strong."

They certainly aren't messing about with the sectionals and heart monitors etc. in Ballydoyle.

I wonder is there any chance they actually have access to sectionals for the races themselves? Would seem a pretty vital tool given the emphasis they place on sectional timing at home.

She won't go for the July Cup if Starspangledbanner goes there....if they want him back in Australia for covering will he make Newmarket?

Paul Perry still raced Choisir in the July Cup, and Coolmore got the elder statesmen back to Australia in time for the 2003 season.

Remembering stallions do not breed to mares until the 1st September of each season in Australia/New Zealand.:)

Paul Perry still raced Choisir in the July Cup, and Coolmore got the elder statesmen back to Australia in time for the 2003 season.

Remembering stallions do not breed to mares until the 1st September of each season in Australia/New Zealand.:)

Was thinking for quaranteen purposes...but yeah forgot Choisir did it!

It does seem a bit of a rush, but I believe they all head into quarantine the day after the running of the July Cup. This is why David Hayes is now (stupidly) aiming Nicconi for the race. He was advised that he could put Nicconi into quarantine the day after with all the other Coolmore stallions.

On a sidenote, Starspangledbanner will stand his first season at stud in Australia at AUD$33,000.00. He has a bit of a pedigree compared to Choisir, and Coolmore have had success with Haradasun, a stallion he is also closely related to. At this point in time, would be comfortable to say he is the likely Australian Horse of the Year. Would be guaranteed of the honour if he wins the July Cup.

I don't know the full strength of it but the now Godolphin trained Denman was unbeaten going into the race I believe, albeit at 5-7f. It's traditionally one of if not the top Group 1 mile races for their age group though IIRC.

Good performance by the winner but as usual an overreaction when a Coolmore horse wins a big one.

Fleeting Spirit unlucky to be toed into the race by a few horses never going to be up to it, and never had a chance. Think she'll go well in the July Cup and I was wrong to suggest Noseda chose the wrong race for her this week (no bet yesterday).

How good a G1 is the Caulfield Guineas?

Dick Hern always insisted Brigadier Gerard would win a Nunthorpe and I've often expressed the view that a truly top class miler would beat the type of horse that normally contests G1 6f races. Starspangledbanner might be such a type.

As for the July Cup, he'll be all the rage but I can see me taking him on in spite of being very impressed by him yesterday.

Taken from Wikipedia:

success; the past three years, for example, have included Starspangledbanner (2010 G1 Oakleigh Plate, 2010 G1 Golden Jubilee Stakes), Whobegotyou (2009 G1 Yalumba Stakes), Weekend Hussler (six other G1 races including 2007 G1 Ascot Vale Stakes, 2008 G1 Randwick Guineas and 2008 G1 George Ryder Stakes). Earlier winners include celebrated champion sires Lonhro (2001, 11 G1 wins) and Redoute's Choice (1999, 4 G1 wins). Looking further back, other outstanding winners include Mahogany (1993, 8 G1 wins), Red Anchor (1984, 4 G1 wins), champion sprinter Manikato (12 official G1 wins, 18 wins in races that are classified as G1 today), 2YO Triple Crown winner Luskin Star (1977, 4 G1 wins), Surround (1976, first and only filly to win the weight-for-age championship of Australasia, the Cox Plate), Vain (1969, 6 G1 wins and champion sire), Storm Queen (1966, 5 G1 wins), the inaugural Australian Racing Hall of Fame inductee Tulloch (1957, 14 G1 wins), and Ajax II (14 G1 wins and fellow Australian Racing Hall of Fame inductee, and still revered in Australia as the shortest priced favourite to lose in Australian racing history, at 40/1 on ($1.02) in the 1939 Rawson Stakes).

Back