Sprinting Division

I think if Starspangled had stayed in Australia, he would have definitely been tried as a 2000m/10f horse this spring. The Cox Plate was honestly at the horse's mercy last spring, but they put him straight out to the paddock, and he was brought back as a sprinter. Honestly, he would not have been a commercial prospect had he of been aimed down that route.

Denman, well......an absolute waste, and not sure why they took him out of Australia. He would have been a great spring prospect if they had of kept him in Australia. The spring was at his mercy in races up to 7f, and I think it would have been a matter of him just going around in a race like the Hong Kong International Sprint.

The thing I don't get, he didn't travel well over, so why are they bothering rushing him back?

@grand Armee: money makes the world go round, isnt it ? there is a covering season to see out for him ...

agree on denman, of course. real waste, but guess the problem was not so much the travel over to england ....

Even forgiving one bad run, he has to go and do it. I was a big fan going in to the Middle park and he was beaten there and again (albeit penalised) on his reappearance and by Prime Defender who is a long way off being Group 1 class.

How will Starspangledbanner react to not being able to get his own way? I think there's a chance Equiano and he will take each other on and if that's the case Fleeting Spirit is well drawn to pick up the pieces.

Not necessarily to win, but I could see him place and the first time headgear is interesting.

I think it is unlikely he will win, but I think at the price he is interesting to place. I do not think Starspangledbanner needs to lead and expect him to be hard to beat.

Starspangledbanner is an absolute farce of a price, half tempted to lay the life out of the animal to be honest. He got the run of things on the favoured side at Ascot and he's going to have competition for the lead here from plenty of others. I think Ascot form is dangerous to take elsewhere at face value and a couple of his rivals had excuses last time out.

At prices, I like Varenar and Serious Attitude each-way. Both were drawn on the far side at Ascot and at 33/1 and 66/1 they are reasonable bets. Varenar has some top class form to his name, winning the Foret last year and Serious Attitude has always been well thought of and she ran on like a train at Ascot.

I also think Equiano and Marchand D'Or are overpriced.

I don't usually get involved in sprints but the market for this suggests you have to. Ridiculous prices at the front of the thing.

I've gone in small on Kingsgate Native, Showcasing, Nicconi and Varenar.

Gone in each-way on Varenar - the stiff finish at Newmarket will suit him, and he's a winner in the highest grade over 7f.

Have also backed the Aussie mare Alverta who ran well at Ascot considering this was her main target, the trainer was v v negative regarding her fitness and likely performance that day and I expect her to come on a ton for that run.

backed varenar last time, where he was never in the race really, but do fancy him again e/w too. but heart-horse is equiano and i really hope he can do it again (winning!).

Starspangledbanner is an absolute farce of a price, half tempted to lay the life out of the animal to be honest. He got the run of things on the favoured side at Ascot and he's going to have competition for the lead here from plenty of others. I think Ascot form is dangerous to take elsewhere at face value and a couple of his rivals had excuses last time out.

At prices, I like Varenar and Serious Attitude each-way. Both were drawn on the far side at Ascot and at 33/1 and 66/1 they are reasonable bets. Varenar has some top class form to his name, winning the Foret last year and Serious Attitude has always been well thought of and she ran on like a train at Ascot.

I also think Equiano and Marchand D'Or are overpriced.

Agree with nearly every word of that.

I'd go as far as to say Starspangledbanner is the worst price i've ever seen in a Group 1 sprint. We're meant to believe a less than 2 lengths beating of a horse who couldn't win a listed race the time before should justify him being 7/4?

I am an enormous fan of Fleeting Spirit, and think she'll win, and agree with DJ's thoughts on likely race scenario.

I'll also back Serious Attitude and Varenar each way.

Starspangledbanner can be backed at 2/1 now. My worry would be that he was probably trained for the minute at Ascot and might not be at the same level today. If he is at his best I think he will win, as while he won by a couple of length's I thought he had a ton in hand at the line and it took Murtagh an age to pull him up.

I may be completely wrong, but I have rarely seen a market so upside down.

I wouldn't back SSB ar 2/3 times the price.

I would have Fleeting Spirit at around 7/2 if SSB wasn't even running.

Serious Attitude, Varenar, Marchand D'or, Kingsgate Native and Equiano are all massively overpriced for me, and will back all/nearly all each way.

I've had my fiver e/way on Nicconi at decent odds on betfair - shaped in the Kings Stand as if the extra furlong will suit - not confident but feel like I have a bit of value in the price - cracking race though, many with chances.

Back