Sprinting Division

Funny Hamm I was thinking how quiet you are after the Coolmore winner!!

Interesting that the RP was suggesting Magnier might consider deferring his stud career until next season - would think it would be unlikely though.

Good performance by the winner but as usual an overreaction when a Coolmore horse wins a big one.

Fleeting Spirit unlucky to be toed into the race by a few horses never going to be up to it, and never had a chance. Think she'll go well in the July Cup and I was wrong to suggest Noseda chose the wrong race for her this week (no bet yesterday

Agree with all of that. I was on FleetinG spirit early but was a little dismayed when hearing hughes comments about the draw. I think it panned out as you suggested Hamm. Shes the one to back next time

Was flying and travelling back to Ireland and had 1/2 things to do so no Ascot for me and wasn't online till later - so no hiding I can assure you! :)

Seriously though, I would enjoy their winners a lot more if I didn't hear 'speed, fastest etc' every time - I really like AOB as a trainer and would love a book to be written about him (I think he's better than MVOB) but the pr side of it is very grating! It's not like those statements do (or at least should!) make any difference.

Anyway, I meant more being made of it in the media than on here - I think he's clearly very good, but right now falls in with the rest of them who are taking turns beating one another - I'd like to see him perform again, as the sprinting division, Fleeting Spirit aside, is all over the place.

Did you back him?

Without sounding like a smart arse but my two main bets of the week were Lillie Langtry and Starspangledbanner.

I expect him to go unbeaten throughout the rest of his European stay....think he won it very comfortably indeed and loved how it took Murtagh an age to pull him up after the line.

Can understand the PR talk afterward can be grating, but equally it should not deflect from what the horse achieved. He looks near or on par with any of their top sprints (really just two) in the past imo.

I don't find the PR talk afterwards grating, especially when it's AOB himself and more so when he calls that BBC twat 'Ritchie'.

How many trainers in the past would have told you that their horse's heart rate (Yeats) only hits its peak when it's already run 1½ miles, or that thier horse can run a furlong in under 9½ seconds.

I do remember Jack Ramsden revealing that his horse (name escapes me) could do two furlongs easily in under 22s therefore he knew it could win a major handicap (and it did).

Probably Nuclear Debate if I know the Ramsden modus operandi; find a horse of Group 1 class and try to win a handicap off 80 (or 60 if you could cheat well enough) with it. They were occasionally regarded as geniuses at placing/punting their horses but the fact that other trainers were able to improve many of their horses by significant amounts suggests that they were prize muppets. IMO, of course!

Bishops Court did indeed run 5f in sub-55 seconds at Epsom (fast ground, carrying 9st 4lbs, about half an hour after a yoke called Galileo won some race).

Starspangledbanner: 72.57s carrying 9st 4lb
Laddies Poker Two: 72.27 carrying 8st 11lb

So the difference is 0.30s, carrying 7lbs less.

0.30s = 1.8 lengths, which is around 5lbs.

So she didn't quite bridge the gap... but of course, she would have had the 3lb fillies allowance in the Golden Jubilee.

leader's sectional times - first 3 furlongs

Jubilee = 35.57
Wokingham = 36.37

how far behind the leader would Laddies be at the 3f pole do we think?

I'll have a stab at 5 lengths ...0.18sec per length

which would make each horse's sectionals

Starspangledbanner = 35.57/37.00
Laddies Poker Two = 37.00/35.27

each horse ran a 37.0 sectional..reversed of course...but Laddies ran the other one faster..

interesting comparison..any thoughts on this?

Their actual speed figures taking weight carried into account

SSB = 113
LPT = 112

Last edited:
I'll do mine tomorrow night but I still fancy the idea that Fleeting Spirit might have beaten SSB if shed been drawn on this side.

SSB must have hit some speed at some point during those first three furlongs since the first furlong tends to be slower as they're going from a standing start.

Also, the runner up by my very rough calculations may have run a good 15 yards (five lengths or so) further than 6f yet was beaten less than that. One to watch for.

Awful, isn't it?

I'd really like to see him turn up in the July Cup - think it would be perfect for him.

How good a G1 is the Caulfield Guineas?

It could easily be claimed as Australia's best 3yo classic event for the age group.

Winners have included:

Heroic
Balmerino (2nd in the Arc)
Ajax
Hydrogen
Storm Queen
Vain (one of the best sprinters ever)
Sobar
Surround
Luskin Star
Manikato (Champion racehorse, Australian HOTY and won 26 Group 1 races)
Sovereign Red
Grosvenor
Red Anchor
Drawn
Mahogany
St. Covet
Encounter (Champion 2YO and 3YO)
Redoute's Choice (world class sire)
Show A Heart (Champion 3YO)
Lonhro (World Champion Miler, Australian HOTY, Champion 3YO and now leading sire)
Helenus (Champion 3YO)
Weekend Hussler (Australian HOTY, Champion 3YO and sadly battling injury)
Whobegotyou (who is now sadly fighting for his life)
Starspangledbanner

Thanks GA - if Starspangled had stayed in Oz do you think they would have kept him sprinting or back up to a mile?

Arcano missed the July Cup - to be honest I am amazed that was the race they were aiming him at in the first place.

Had a nice holiday during the Australian winter, now goes back home to get his leg over all Summer.

In all seriousness though, how long can Sheikh Mohammed go on like this? Give these extremely talented animals to Suroor and he turns them into cripples overnight.

Back