Sprinting Division

That is good news. I loved CHOISIR and I like his progeny so far - they look built to last, and they give a very professional appearance on course, no silly histrionics, just good solid performances.

Anyone wanting a daily free trial download for a month or so of European Bloodstock News should e-mail them at bloodstocknews@mac.com and request it. It's a very comprehensive daily round-up of all of the action from the top and new sires, with reports on where and when horses are moved, sold on, etc. Nice pictures, too!

A horse that beat Starspangledbanner on every occasion they met at 2, Reward For Effort, resumed today after over 18 months off the scene due to a tendon injury, with a good win over 6f in the Listed John Monash Stakes. The only 3yo in the race, Reward For Effort, was coming back from a tendon injury, which saw the young horse suffer further complications from stem cell therapy.

Reward For Effort on his day was one of Australia's best 2yo's, defeating Starspangledbanner in the Group 3 Blue Diamond Prelude by 3 lengths, and by 8 lengths in the Group 1 Blue Diamond Stakes. So about on average he was 5 1/2 lengths in front of Starspangledbanner each time they met.

I can understand Reward's trainer, Peter Moody's frustration and pain, considering on paper he probably had the "best" 3yo. Yet had to watch his "second string" horse, Wanted, go around as the winner in the Newmarket Handicap (he defeated Starspangledbanner that day).

Fingers crossed that Reward can stay sound, though I reckon he could be with his previous injury, a day by day case.

r342142_1558198.jpg

Reward For Effort the day he took out the 2009 $1 million Group 1 Blue Diamond Stakes. He was first, and daylight was second.

Photo courtesy of www.abc.net.au

Nice to see him win, especially after the long time off the scene.

But the runner up was closing, and quite fast. He probably would have gotten him if there were a few extra metres in the race.

The American filly Starfish Bay looks very interesting on Thursday in the Audi Stakes. Clocked some decent Beyers in the States and she looks all speed, should suit Goodwood, be intrigued what sort of price she is.

Ditto Stan - she's beaten her stablemate West Ocean in the past and that one was a top priced 10/1 for the Kings Stand prior to being pulled out of the race - you'd have to say this looks a far weaker race than that despite the presence of Borderlescott and Fleeting Spirit (asusme both run)

Thanks a mill for that GA - does not look the horse of old imo regardless of the layoff.

Sadly, too much truth in your statement there :(. Considering that was a race in Slovakia, you have to wonder what will happen if he races in Germany, France or Britain. I think they are aiming him towards that 5f Group 1 race the Prix Le'Abbaye (?) in France.

You have to wonder what would happen if a strong Equiano faces the starter that day?

Just can only hope we can keep our fingers crossed.

Coolmore Nunthorpe Stakes
Coral: 9-4 Starspangledbanner, 3 Equiano, 11-2 Kingsgate Native, 6 Fleeting Spirit, 14 Meow, Rose Blossom, Tropical Treat, 16 Stone Of Folca, 20 Group Therapy, TotalGallery, 33 bar.

In the last 24 hours, Scenic Blast the horse who captured everyones imagination in 2009, has run 2nd over 6f in a Grade 1 event on the cushion track.

In the last 24 hours, Scenic Blast the horse who captured everyones imagination in 2009, has run 2nd over 6f in a Grade 1 event on the cushion track.

Just to be pedantic, it was at Del Mar which has Polytrack.

Only Hollywood Park has cushion.

A horse to watch closely from Australia, Love Conquers All.

The 4yo stallion won the Group 3 Missile Stakes over 5 1/2 furlongs yesterday at Randwick, and in doing so, defeated outstanding performers Danleigh and Sniper's Bullet.

Love-Conquers-All-Missile-Stakes.jpg

Photo courtesy of www.justhorseracing.com.au

It was LCA's 6th win, in 9 careers starts and takes his earnings just over $400,000.

He is by Mossman, from the Group 1 winner She's A Meanie.

Maurice Gheest this afternoon, looks a little trappy to my eye. I'd have it between Varenar, the Australian mare, Joanna and War Artist but no juice in any of their prices so a watching brief for me.

Good win for Regal Parade - thought Flo Jo had it when Soumillon pulled her out but he kept pulling out more.

Hope she gets her Group 1 win as she deserves it having beaten Special Duty and been placed in a Guineas and now a Prix Maurice De Gheest :)

Back