Supreme Novices Hurdle

I think Zaidpour is over hyped, though winning the Royal Bond hard on the bit, his hurdling was very sketchy, slightly pausing before each hurdle. He may have run flat at Christmas, but he never looked like getting near Oscars Well on Saturday and was flattered by the 5L margin.

As Aragon has suggested he may go to the Neptune, but I doubt he will get any nearer to Oscars Well, and I also think that his stable mate So Young looks a better proposition, not to mention Nicky Henderson's Bobs Worth.

I actually think his stable mate in the same colours Day of a Lifetime may turn out to be a better proposition for Mullins and Ricci. He looked quite decent winning his maiden although he jumped out to his right. He is entered in a Grade 2 at Naas on Saturday, if he puts in a good performance he may turn out to be Mullins best hope in the Supreme.

Nearly hope he doesn't go to Naas - they tell me he is settling much better these days and has a savage engine. The fact he has contracted from 43 to low 20's on betfair for the Supreme gives me greater confidence. Mullins has already said he may not get a run into him before Cheltenham - so I wouldn't be bursting a gut for him to have a grueller around the "graveyard"!!

Seems they have come to the right conclusion and intend Cue Card for the Supreme... although they're leaving him in the Champion.

The road to the poor-house is peppered with the discarded slips of the "could be anything" merchants.

Cue Card has 2m form which already verges on top-class outside novice company, and heads for the Supreme with credentials superior to both his contemporaries and short-priced favourites in previous renewals.

I'm amazed that his price has continued - more or less - to stand-up following the confirmation that this is his target, and can only assume that the support of SteveM is blighting his market chances. :D

Last edited:
Totally agree with you there on that one Grass,there isn't a bigger fan of Cue Card and the form than me.As i've said previously in this thread im on quite big,im expecting sub 2/1 on the day.I'm just playing devils advocate

The road to the poor-house is peppered with the discarded slips of the "could be anything" merchants.

Cue Card has 2m form which already verges on top-class outside novice company, and heads for the Supreme with credentials superior to both his contemporaries and short-priced favourites in previous renewals.

I'm amazed that his price has continued - more or less - to stand-up following the confirmation that this is his target, and can only assume that the support of SteveM is blighting his market chances. :D

I would have to be against him - not on the basis of what he has or hasn't done but on the basis of what the field might be capable of. Spurious argument possibly but this is never a race to get too deeply involved in with 26 more races to go. The Poor House is also full of those getting stuck into skinny ones in the Supreme - some serious animals have been beaten in it most recently Binocular and Dunguib - there are too many more for me to mention. Great race and one I love but if you get too far behind after the first it can be a cruel week!!

Cheeky bugger… however I glad my determined work in keeping his price out has been recognised… it’s been working well for Denman too.:p

Cue Card broke all the rules when he won last year's champion bumper. He was too young, too inexperienced, unproven over the trip and the going, and was from a stable not normally associated with bumper horses.

Everything he's done since demonstrates that his runaway success was no fluke, and he has to be favourite for the Supreme.

Cue Card broke all the rules when he won last year's champion bumper. He was too young, too inexperienced, unproven over the trip and the going, and was from a stable not normally associated with bumper horses.

Everything he's done since demonstrates that his runaway success was no fluke, and he has to be favourite for the Supreme.

Well put... I can't really see past him either. Although I cofess I'd rather be on something each-way in this.

Well put... I can't really see past him either. Although I cofess I'd rather be on something each-way in this.

Thats the point - whilst he is a class act - his form stands up to the closest scrutiny - he cannot be considered a lump job because of the unknown unknowns and known unknowns in the field and the history (recent) of this race. In all likelyhood he is the probable winner of this race but he's not for me! I just hope Mullins runs Day of a Lifetime - probably only 50 : 50 that he does at this stage.:(

I suppose it boils down to whether you want a bet or not. He's value to me for the win at the 11/4 I've taken. I might back a couple of others each way to defend the dowside on the day though... on the other hand I'm just as likely to top up.

And he was ridden by Joe Tizzard. That's another rule broken.

I suppose it boils down to whether you want a bet or not. He's value to me for the win at the 11/4 I've taken. I might back a couple of others each way to defend the dowside on the day though... on the other hand I'm just as likely to top up.

I'd agree Steve- at 11/4 he's certainly a value bet. Still I'd be hitting the pink button in-running, just in case a "rabbit" springs from someplace:D

I see PP are offering refunds to all beaten selections if Cue Card wins (up to 200).......................must be a masive liability

I've taken advantage of this... it has paid off for them in the past couple of years. Although it also coaxed me into backing the winner last year against Dunguib (who I also backed)

Those that think Cue Card will probably win but want a risk free punt on something else, such as Spirit Son and co (in that eventuality), should take advantage of this. I already have 11/4 Cue Card, but now have 11/2 Spirit Son with stake back if Cue Card wins... a decent bit of insurance.

Last edited:
Back