Supreme Novices Hurdle

Cue Card 11/4 with Powers this morning.... still not tempted...

I've already backed him at 11/4... Seems I get the chance to do so again.

I note that bookmakers are complaining that they haven't taken much this year and are blaming the fact that punters have had little to go on.

I think this explains the softness in the price of the likes of Cue Card and Big Bucks. They are eager to take money now.

I can't see 11/4 on him anywhere,I got him 10's 6's and 3's.I will take some more at 11/4.9/4 best price now,2/1 in places nrnb

I note that bookmakers are complaining that they haven't taken much this year and are blaming the fact that punters have had little to go on.

I think it's more to do with punters having less money in their pockets with the recession and fuel prices. Races like the Queen Mother and the World Hurdle, not to mention the Gold Cup all have better punting shapes to them this year. And then you have the Ryanair and Jewson which are tough to have a go on at this stage unless you have the NRNB but could be nice betting heats once we know the likely line-ups.

Powers are NOT 11/4 Cue Card. They might be doing it in their Irish retail for the day as a special but thats hardly much use to our english friends on the forum.

Was in a shop in Cork this morning robbing all of the early 6/1 Canaly and 11/4 Cue Card was plastered up all over the place........ needless to say there was no stampede:rolleyes:

With the PP concession this seems a good tactic does it not?... I'm feeling quite good about my position in this race, with money back on the two I don't really fancy if the good horse wins. It worked last year (albeit the wrong way round) when I did the same with the favourite Dunguib (who I fancied more) and Menorah at 10/1.

You forget that this is how I operate at the Festival. I remember you were critical of my ante-post bet at 5/2 on Big Bucks last season, when I considered his chances to be even better than this time.

Last edited:
and what level of loses if Pandorama, Kauto or Kempes win?

big loss in that circumstance... but I'm prepared to take that chance. As far as I'm concerned one of the four I've backed are far more likely to win than the three you mention and if I'm wrong I'm wrong.

A field of 15 line up for the Supreme Novices' Hurdle.

Cue Card is 2/1 favourite. Spirit Son is 11/2, with Recession Proof at 9/1. Zaidpour, Sprinter Sacre and Al Ferof can be backed at 10/1. It is 20/1 bar those six.

Al Ferof
Cue Card
Dunraven Storm
Far Away So Close
Gibb River
Hidden Universe
Rathlin
Recession Proof
Sheer Genius
Spanish Treasure
Spirit Son
Sprinter Sacre
Zaidpour
Magen's Star
Marsh Warbler

Cue Card is a massive lay, and place lay for me. He reached his peak in the autumn. Horses that tend to win the Supreme haven't already peaked.

Spirit Son looks better and better for me the more I watch him. Gibb River also looks better than the other Henderson horse.

I don't think Recession Proof is a 150 horse. Al Ferof should place.

Last edited:
I backed Zaidpour with the thought that he'd appreciate better ground based on his flat pedigree and the way he seemed to move on his penultimate run at Leopardstown. I read on a preview that Willie's son thinks he needs the soft but I can't help thinking that they don't really know this for sure.

Wouldnt go near Zaidpour. If he needs soft and given last couple of races...

I like to see novices racing and getting experience and that puts me off Cue Card. I dont really understand this long break. Its almost as if its a fad amongst trainers now and a tiresome one at that

Was all against Cue Card all year up to yesterday - he really has nothing to find on the book - if they have him 95% he should win - backed him reasonably heavily this morning.:ninja:

There are many horses who often look to already have the form in the book. It is the improvers that tend to win this.

To look at things a different way, who would everyone class as likely to appreciate good ground and those for whom it may be a negative?

There are many horses who often look to already have the form in the book. It is the improvers that tend to win this.

To look at things a different way, who would everyone class as likely to appreciate good ground and those for whom it may be a negative?

I see exactly what you are saying but most of these will have to improve over a stone on what they've done - and basically I couldn't pick one to take on the PP offer.

Back