The 2014 World Hurdle

What crap from Mr O'Connor - the most obvious difference would be his age and a failure to recover completely from his tendon injury .

No argument there, but it misses the main point.

Nicholls has chosen to make public what was almost certainly a private conversation. Was this fair?

I wonder if Jacob was even aware that he was being evaluated, and that he needed to make a pitch for the ride? Either way, the partnership looks doomed.

Very odd whats gone on with the big bucks situation.
That aside, if the daddy that is Big Bucks gets to Cheltenham fit and retains anywhere near his ability then they are racing for 2nd. Shame Solwhit is out as he is a cracking horse. Would have been nice if we could have seen Big Bucks, Solwhit, Quevega and Annie Power all clash. Big Bucks spits them out up the hill.
However my head is telling me the old legs may find Annie to strong - I hope i'm wrong, even though i am a big Annie Power fan.

Ruby says you would cut your hand off to ride BB ! Suggesting bemusement at Jacob's reluctance .

FRom Racing UK

"It all depends on how Big Buck's comes back in the Cleeve Hurdle. If he's the horse that won in Newbury 14 months ago, it doesn't really matter who is riding him. He doesn't take much riding.
"He's a very good horse and I'd be more interested in seeing how the horse is.
"You'd cut your right hand off to ride a horse like Big Buck's. That's a choice I made.
"He's an exceptional horse, he's a standard-bearer in jump racing and he's an exciting ride for Sam Twiston-Davies."

It's emerged At Fishers Cross never actually went over to Ireland as commonly reported and that he has been treated at home and hopefully will be taking on Big Bucks in the Cleeve Hurdle

Ruby says you would cut your hand off to ride BB ! Suggesting bemusement at Jacob's reluctance .

FRom Racing UK

"...You'd cut your right hand off to ride a horse like Big Buck's. That's a choice I made."
Not according to Nicholls. He said in his blog that they contacted Walsh & McCoy and neither "could or would commit".

The only thing I can read between the lines is that Big Buck's is finished.

Last edited:
Not according to Nicholls. He said in his blog that they contacted Walsh & McCoy and neither "could or would commit".

The only thing I can read between the lines is that Big Buck's is finished.
they have obligations to mullins & mcmanus. nothing more to read into it.

Not sure I understand why that might mean BB finished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I reckon if BB was pulling down trees at home and giving every indication he is still what he was, Jacob would have bitten off the hand that offered him the ride.

The fact he had doubts about riding it has nothing to do with a possible lose-lose scenario. He has doubts about it winning.

Despite his win at Naas, I don't see Rule the World winning at Cheltenham, Zaidpour beat him too easy at Leopardstown and Zaidpour won't be winning at Cheltenham.

Despite his win at Naas, I don't see Rule the World winning at Cheltenham, Zaidpour beat him too easy at Leopardstown and Zaidpour won't be winning at Cheltenham.

Mouse Morris said they went far to slow for him that day, and have he impression he wasn't revved up for it. He will for the world hurdle tho, and I expect to see a winning performance :).

I reckon if BB was pulling down trees at home and giving every indication he is still what he was, Jacob would have bitten off the hand that offered him the ride.

The fact he had doubts about riding it has nothing to do with a possible lose-lose scenario. He has doubts about it winning.

I thought that BB was always notoriously lazy at home ? If Mullins and Walsh are having to keep Ricci sweet about not running Annie Power in the CH I suspect there is no way Ruby could have got off her .

If she is not running in the WH however then it is a surprise he could not commit.

I must admit that I have completely overlooked Celestial Halo for the WH. Until now that is. The form of his last win looks very impressive to me and it could be that he has learnt to settle better over 3M and improved by 8lb for that.
He was placed in a Champion Hurdle a few years back so is a GD1 horse no doubt. Maybe he will be the first choice of the newly appointed stable jock?

pretty fascinating renewal really, depending on who turns up.

big bucks - all been covered on the cleeve thread but still the one to beat for me if he comes on for yesterdays run and it's not left any bad marks but hard to know what to expect.

annie power - world at her feet and would probably go off favourite if she went here but not ran over 3m yet.

at fishers cross - jumping issues still there yesterday although not as bad as before but still almost won the race, proven stayer. good chance at the price id say.

more of that - looked very good dismantling salubrious over 2 and a half but not sighted since. not ran 3m. mccoy on him or afc??

reve de sivola - couldn't beat a below 100% bb or afc in mud he loves. was he being minded for the big race? not much chance for me.

add celestial halo, rule the world, saphie de rheu & zarkandar as interesting outsiders.

such a shame solwhit isn't gonna be there.

I must admit that I have completely overlooked Celestial Halo for the WH. Until now that is. The form of his last win looks very impressive to me and it could be that he has learnt to settle better over 3M and improved by 8lb for that.
He was placed in a Champion Hurdle a few years back so is a GD1 horse no doubt. Maybe he will be the first choice of the newly appointed stable jock?

Daryl rides Zarkandar according to PN yesterday

Back