The 2015 2-y-o thread.

May be I can assist you a bit today so you can enjoy other things, Col.

As posted before yesterday there were no top5-FSS winners.

Nine 2-y-o races today - 3 at Doncaster, 4 at Carlisle and 2 at Kempton.

Top5-FSS runners are:

Doncaster
2.00 Canford Cliffs - Tidal Wave 2/1f
2.30 Canford Cliffs - Storm Rising 11/2, Lilbourne Lad - Handytalk 22/1

Carlisle
2.20 Dream Ahead - Cosmopolitan Girl 4/1jf, Lilbourne Lad - Hyland Heather 9/2 & Wilsons Ruby 12/1
2.50 Canford Cliffs - Cuppatee 14/1
3.25 Dream Ahead - Golden Stunner 13/2 & Hillside Dream 6/1, Zoffany - Lady Nahema 40/1

Kempton
6.20 Zoffany - Cara's Muse 14/1

Can't promise to do so every day - definitely not on weekends. Would it be a help to you if I do this pure listing of top5 FSS runners during the week so you can concentrate on some more quality posts?

Last edited:
Col, perhaps it would be a good idea to spare you the nitty gritty bit altogether if we find some more volunteers and may be we can do so on a revolving responsibility.

This would enable you to concentrate more on the interesting stories around it and spares you the more boring daily workload. If this daily workload could be split onto sevral shoulders - and there are enough readers here and potential candidates for this - I think this could put some new life into this thread as more people feel 'linked' to it.

For the time being I'd be prepared to do the pure listing of top5 FSS runners every workday for the next couple of weeks or months - I'll let know if I'm on vacation and can't support..

Would there be some kind volunteer to do so on a weekend - I think the daily workload on a weekend to identify the potential races with 2-y-o's, search for top5 FSS's and post it here would be some 20 mins max per SaturdaySunday (may be a bit more on the Saturday and less on the Sunday)?

Last edited:
Bell Watch
The trainer runs his first Royal 2yo, Forecaster, at Chepstow today. Have been watching this one for a few months and looked a bit slow at first but better lately. Can’t see her winning this but interested in her run as she has been in a gallop with 2 other Royal 2yos where the Makfi filly Merriment came out best ahead of both her and Bonhomie. A few days later Bonhomie came out top in a gallop with two others of Bell’s (Bocking End and Duchy). Bocking End finished a reasonable 4th on Tuesday at Leicester. Merriment is a half-sister to the reasonable but frustrating Touchline. Today’s runner is by Fastnet Rock and a half-sister to an ordinary 3yo winner called Enliven. Watch today and wait for Merriment (but as usual with Bell it will probably be the 3rd or 4th race).

So, with Col having agreed I start the donkey's work today to free him up a bit.

Disappointing that nobody volunteered to do so for the next couple of weekends.

Anyway, up to the end of the FSS season on November 7th I'll do the listing every morning - non-runners may well come later in the day. On Friday afternoons I'll try to do the listing in advance for the Saturday and Sunday. If Racing Post odds are available I'll post them with every runner and tag them as favourite if so.

Yesterday a surprise 25/1 winner for Zoffany when Cara's Muse beat the 2/1f Brave Archibald by a neck.

So, currently Zoffany leads 27-25 over Canford Cliffs.

Today's top5-FSS runners are:

Doncaster
1.55 Zoffany Pinky Promise 20/1, Canford Cliffs Catie 25/1 & Canny Style 33/1, Dream Ahead Alpine Dream 15/2, Lilbourne Lad Quick N Quirky 33/1
3.40 Zoffany Bint Aldar 33/1, Canford Cliffs Holy Grail 10/1 & Justice Lass 40/1, Dream Ahead Candelisa 50/1

Chepstow
1.45 Poet's Voice Beatbybeatbybeat 66/1
2.50 Canford Cliffs Canford Belle 11/2 & Canford Star 12/1

Epsom
2.05 Canford Cliffs Wimpole Hall 11/4

Chelmsford
6.10 Dream Ahead Cosmopolitan Girl 3/1f, Poet's Voice Express Metro 50/1

Last edited:
Cheers Danoli, I can't offer to do the weekends unfortunately, as you can see I never post on a Saturday and Sunday.

I think I am giving a chance to Canford Star today - split a pair of subsequent winners so mark should be on the light side.

Cheers Danoli, I can't offer to do the weekends unfortunately, as you can see I never post on a Saturday and Sunday.

I think I am giving a chance to Canford Star today - split a pair of subsequent winners so mark should be on the light side.

Good odds, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Yesterday there was no winner for the top5-FSS.

Today there are 14 races for 2-y-o's, runners for the top5-FSS are:

Doncaster
3.40 Zoffany Light Up Our World 9/1
4.50 Canford Cliffs Wall Of Fire 5/1

Salisbury
4.10 Canford Cliffs Cliffs Of Dover 6/1
4.45 Canford Cliffs Dream Of Summer 11/2
5.50 Canford Cliffs Shwaimsa 8/13f & Canford Lilli 11/2

Down Royal
4.35 Zoffany Remarkable Lady 40/1, Lilbourne Lad Clear Spirit 7/1

Current standing in the FSS table is:

Zoffany - 27 wins, 139 runs, strikerate 19.42 %
Canford Cliffs - 25 wins, 153 runs, strikerate 16.34 %
Dream Ahead - 15 wins, 72 runs, strikerate 20.83 %
Poet's Voice - 14 wins, 99 runs, strikerate 14.14 %
Lilbourne Lad - 12 wins, 147 runs, strikerate 8.16 %

A very good chance for Canford Cliffs today to make up some ground and narrow the gap. The 5.50 at Salisbury is a 3 runner race with Canford Cliffs responsible for the 8/13f as well as the 11/2 3rd favourite.

This afternoon I'll post the top5-FSS runners for the weekend.

Enjoy!

I'll be cheering on Flying Empress in the 5.50 then!

I could have guessed :D

Luckily I'm in the position it does not make a difference to me who'll comes out on top in the FSS championship. So I may well have my fingers crossed for your 7/4 bet on Zoffany!

Some interesting lightly-raced and newcomers running today:

Sandown 1.45

SEPTEMBER ISSUE - is a Dutch Art half-brother to Hearts Of Fire, who ran third to Canford Cliffs and Dick Turpin in the 2010 St. James's Palace Stakes. He has had a run, a respectable third over 6.5f. on Deauvile's Polytrack.

Sandown 2.55

Two Stoute newcomers in this.

CLEAR EVIDENCE - a Cape Cross half-brother to Peacock who was second (beaten 3.25 lengths) to Time Test in a 10f. Group 3 at Royal Ascot.

SUPERYACHT - by Fastnet Rock and a half-brother to three smart performers, notably Patkai who ran second to Yeats in the 2009 Ascot Gold Cup.

15.40 at Doncaster. Gypsy eyes is the interesting horse in this race as could be anything. Won it's maiden in decent style. 2,4 & 5th horses haven't run since which I find reasonably strange, 3rd,6th and 8th horses both won next time out, 7th and 10th horses coming 3rd. The lack of the run from the some of the horses in behind probably explains the price as unsure how good the race was but looking at the fact that they have stepped up in trip, out of high chapparel, dam out of danehill points to the stepping up in distance. At this price worth an each way shout but have a sneaky suspicion this could turn out to be a very good horse.

Fingers crossed...

15.40 at Doncaster. Gypsy eyes is the interesting horse in this race as could be anything. Won it's maiden in decent style. 2,4 & 5th horses haven't run since which I find reasonably strange, 3rd,6th and 8th horses both won next time out, 7th and 10th horses coming 3rd. The lack of the run from the some of the horses in behind probably explains the price as unsure how good the race was but looking at the fact that they have stepped up in trip, out of high chapparel, dam out of danehill points to the stepping up in distance. At this price worth an each way shout but have a sneaky suspicion this could turn out to be a very good horse.

Fingers crossed...

Makes sense what you say. It's a very hot race though but then again this is why you get 7/1 at all. I thought I'd buy into your comments and jump the train, too. Overall though it's shying me off that virtually every single horse in the race could win this as all forms could generate some fantasy behind them. So I'm keeping my fingers off and just enjoy watching the race and feel happy for you if Gipsy Eyes obliges.

Last edited:
Cheers Danoli, you make a good point which is why I haven't waded in with a large bet, hopefully I will be smiling at the end of it...

As you say, can make a case for a lot of them in the race.

Last edited:
Here's the list of the top5-FSS runners for Saturday and Sunday (the odds are the forecast odds of the Racing Post racecard by race and thus may not be as accurate as the odds posted in the morning of a raceday):

Saturday - a total of 11 2-y-o races in UK & IRL, runners of top5-FSS as below:

Doncaster
5.30 Poet's Voice Montsarrat 11/4f

Leopardstown
3.30 Zoffany Gilded Reflection 14/1

Bath
5.05 Zoffany Bohemian Origin 33/1 (also entered on Sunday), Canford Cliffs Bluff Crag 12/1

Chester
1.40 Zoffany Stamp Hill 3/1, Lilbourne Lad Lembit And Butler 14/1

Lingfield
1.50 Poet's Voice Polymnia 16/1

Musselburgh
5.25 Lilbourne Lad Mecca's Missus 12/1
5.55 Zoffany Color Model 12/1, Dream Ahead Silent Dreamer 11/4f

Sunday - a total of 7 2-y-o races in UK & IRL, runners of top5-FSS as below:

Curragh
4.15 Canford Cliffs Painted Cliffs 16/1, Dream Ahead Final Frontier 6/1
5.25 Zoffany Miss Phillyjinks 20/1

Ffos Las
2.10 Zoffany Papa Luigi 5/2
2.45 Zoffany Bohemian Origin 100/1 (also entered on Saturday)
3.15 Poet's Voice Poet's Beauty 10/1

Enjoy!

A bit of a lesson in looking a bit deeper into the form of every horse and not scanning. Might stick with Gypsy though, sure to win again soon.

Last edited:
Turret Rocks paid a handsome compliment to both Ballydoyle (who beat her by 3l last time) and Tanaza (who beat her by a similar distance her run before that) who both run in Sunday's Moyglare Stakes. Barring horrible track conditions, this race should give valuable pointers for next year's filly classics. The form of Ballydoyle's maiden win also got a boost from Nemoralia's easy win at Doncaster yesterday. Hope Ireland's rain isn't torrential.

Turret Rocks paid a handsome compliment to both Ballydoyle (who beat her by 3l last time) and Tanaza (who beat her by a similar distance her run before that) who both run in Sunday's Moyglare Stakes. Barring horrible track conditions, this race should give valuable pointers for next year's filly classics. The form of Ballydoyle's maiden win also got a boost from Nemoralia's easy win at Doncaster yesterday. Hope Ireland's rain isn't torrential.

Interesting comments, Felicity. I will pay attention this weekend.

Turret Rocks a smashing looking filly.
Hopefully Jim will pull stumps with her now and let her grow and develop for next year though that is not his usual modus operandi.
I suppose if I was paying his weekly bills it would not be mine either.

Back