The 2015 2-y-o thread.

Some very nice two year olds in EBF maiden at the Curragh today.
nice big scopy progressive types including Benny Paret , a Loup de Vega half brother to Moran Gra, Irish Cambridgeshire winner a few years ago.
Not bustled at all by Colin Keane to finish a close fifth. More to come for sure.
The Ballydoyle two year olds as a whole today were all quite light in themselves, maybe a new venture with APOB or else they are training off.
The exception were those in the above maiden who are nice deep bodied sorts.
Ground a little dead as times recorded were slow through the card.

Already wrote about the Zoffany winner on Friday. During the weekend there was only one more FSS winner and this was another win for Zoffany with Foundation, the 5/4f, winning by 3/4 lengths.

The Zoffany's were a bit out of luck in the other weekend races and accumulated a number of placings only. Nevertheless Zoffany leads the race for the FSS championship by 30-28 over Canford Cliffs.

Today there are 4 2-y-o races - Bath (2), Hamilton (1), and Roscommon (1) - today's top5-FSS runners are:

Bath
2.10 Dream Ahead Madhatten 7/2f

Roscommon
2.15 Zoffany Princess Zoffany 28/1

So no change expected today between Zoffany and Canford Cliffs. Dream Ahead could split the group of the pursuers to add win number 17 for the season.

Enjoy!

Very little joy on Saturday, one to mention today.

Bath 3.40
SOUTHFIELDS (7/4), weakened two out after racing prominently on debut at Sandown, is a New Approach half-brother to Cosmo Phantom (RPR 118) a smart 10-12f. performer in Japan.

No FSS winners yesterday.

Today there are 7 2-y-o races - Ayr (1), Fairyhouse (3), and Wolverhampton (3) - today's top5-FSS runners are:

Ayr
1.40 Lilbourne Lad Planetaria 9/2f

Fairyhouse
2.45 Canford Cliffs Ocean Tides 6/1
3.20 Zoffany Dolce Strega 11/1

Wolverhampton
6.10 Zoffany Zoffany's Way 20/1, Canford Cliffs Canford Thompson 15/2
7.10 Lilbourne Lad Window Shopping 28/1

Seems to be a bit of a quieter time for a few days regardings FSS starters let alone winners. I'm sure there will be different days coming soon. Overall it's 36 days of flat racing left in the UK until November 7th - some of the days without UK flat racing - 4 in total up to November 7th - will at least stage 2-y-o racing in Ireland, for instance this Arc Sunday.

Decision for the FSS championship is not too far away now. As there were some strong patches in between for both Zoffany - beginning of the season, at Royal Ascot and more recently - and Canford Cliffs - middle of the season - both sires could theoretically even beat Zebedee's record number of 36 FSS wins during last season.

Enjoy!

Southfields found Calvinist much too good for him yesterday.

Only one to mention today.

Wolverhampton 8.10
DUBAI FASHION (6/4), making her debut, is a Dubawi half-sister to Green Coast (RPR 115) who has done well in Group company in Dubai.

No top5-FSS winners yesterday, there was a first winner though for FSS Atlantic Sport.

Today there are 12 2-y-o races - Kempton (4), Nottingham (4), and Salisbury (4) - today's top5-FSS runners are:

Kempton
7.10 Poet's Voice Polymnia 11/2
8.10 Poet's Voice Vibrant Chords 4/1

Nottingham
2.40 Lilbourne Lad Custom 14/1

Salisbury
1.50 Canford Cliffs Stargazer 5/2f
2.50 Dream Ahead Not Touch 4/1

Canford Cliffs has a good chance today with the 5/2f Stargazer running for Sir. M.Stoute and has the services of Ryan Moore on board. It's the 3rd run after a debut 4th and an improved 3rd place last time out. It looks to be a close call though as there are 2 other horses currently trading at 11/4 - the R.Hannon horse Paris Protocol has a 3rd and a 2nd place in the two previous runs and has P.J.Dobbs on board.. The other 11/4 runner is H.Candy's Past Master with Dane O'Neill on board and has a 3rd place in his only previous outing.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Yesterday's suggestion, DUBAI FASHION, made a very nice debut winning in convincing fashion but the SP of 11/8 was a bit scruffy.

Today

Nottingham 2.10
ROCKSAVAGE (5/2) is an un-raced Fastnet Rock half-brother to seven performers with RPRs of >110, the best of them Nathaniel (127) the winner of the 2012 Eclipse.

Nottingham 2.40
SHAFAFYA (25/1), who was green on debut when 11th of 12 behind Diploma at Newmarket, is a half-sister to Tactic (RPR 119) winner of a 14f. Group 3 at the Curragh as a 4-y-o.

Salisbury 2.20
MOOTAHARER (9/4) making his debut, is a Dubawi half-brother to four black-type performers, the best of them Muhaara (RPR 123) the winner of the Group 1 Commonwealth Cup, over 6f., at this year's Royal Ascot.
GINGER JOE (9/2) never showed at Newbury on debut back in April for Peter Chapple-Hyam. Is now with Hannon, he is a half-brother to Buccellati (RPR 118) who ran third in the Grade 1 Canadian International (12f.) of 2009.

Canford Cliffs has a good chance today with the 5/2f Stargazer running for Sir. M.Stoute and has the services of Ryan Moore on board. It's the 3rd run after a debut 4th and an improved 3rd place last time out. It looks to be a close call though as there are 2 other horses currently trading at 11/4 - the R.Hannon horse Paris Protocol has a 3rd and a 2nd place in the two previous runs and has P.J.Dobbs on board.. The other 11/4 runner is H.Candy's Past Master with Dane O'Neill on board and has a 3rd place in his only previous outing.

Why do we contemplate at all about eventual outcomes of horse racing when it is so easy :rolleyes:

Canford Cliffs' Stargazer went off the 15/8f. His previous two runs were 4th and 3rd. So, where did he finish today? Correct, 2nd! ;)

Only one of his two closest rivals had 2 starts before today, too - the R.Hannon horse Paris Protocol, going off at 11/4. His previous two runs were 3rd and 2nd. So, where did he finish today? Correct, won it by 2 3/4 lengths.

Ok, no fortune, but in a field of 12 runners a 11/4 winner in front of a 15/8f is fair enough for a couple of drinks in the evening :cool:

Last edited:
No FSS winners yesterday.

Today there are 6 2-y-o races - Beverley (2), and Chelmsford (4) - today's top5-FSS runners are:

Chelmsford
5.45 Zoffany Sark 20/1, Lilbourne Lad Bag Of Diamonds 12/1 & Bourne Symphony 50/1
6.15 Dream Ahead Daydream 7/2
6.45 Canford Cliffs Canford Belle 6/5f
7.15 Lilbourne Lad Cadland Lad 28/1

Canford Belle in the 6.45 at Chelmsford should give Canford Cliffs another winner today - the race is very modest in quality and each of the 9 opponents for Canford Belle has run at least 3 times without any significant results or progress in sight. On paper the 14/1 shot Sweet Taboo has one win in 6 starts and the 12/1 shot Piccacard has a 2nd place to mention. In contrast Canford Belle took a while to get the hang of things with the first three starts ending rather poorly. The last 3 starts though showed some considerable progress with a 4th, a 2nd and a win last time out when Canford Belle scored easily by 3 1/2 lengths on the Kempton polytrack. She is penalised for this, against opposition as weak as today she should not encounter too much difficulty in scoring another win today. Current odds are 6/5f, I can see her shortening further.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
14.00 at Beverley. Looks like a race filled with some potentially decent sorts. Some at shrot prices so I am going to give a chance to Sir Mark Prescott's Palisade.

This horse was well beaten first time up but a couple of the horses in front look like class 2/1 horses of the future and the Mark Johnston horse not far in front has lost it's maidens to good horses so maybe it is a decent yard stick to Palisade's future.

Looking at the breeding - Fastnet Rock - points to running over further and has sired good runners. The dam Portal had won over 9f in listed and was rated over 100. 3 foals - Palisade being the third - First foal is Windshear rated around 107 currently but has been slightly higher - keeps running well but yet to win a class 1. The second foal is still a maiden with Halford over in Ireland rated in the mid 70's.

Could be one of Prescott's maidens that gets a handicap mark running over shorter distances and as soon as upped in distance for handicap debut gets a win. However at a decent price I'm going to take an each way chance that this is potentially a better horse than the bookmakers have given credit to and afer a slow start, seemed to twig the idea in it's first race but way too late to make any inroads.

Good luck all.

Yesterday

A lot could be said about ROCKSAVAGE's non-performance but what's the point? .....just to say he only beat one home. The winner of that race, Andastra, may be useful. Shafafiya (4th. at 12/1) and Mootaharer (2nd. at 5/2) will both win races but yesterday wasn't the day.

Today

Beverley2.00
KAJAKI (11/1) an, already gelded, Mastercraftsman newcomer is a half-brother to Macaw (RPR 117) who ran second to Phoenix Reach in the 2003 Grade 1 Canadian International over 12f.
PALISADE (16/1), who showed little on debut at Wolverhampton over 6f., is a Fastnet Rock half-brother to Windshear (RPR 113) who ran fourth to Kingston Hill in last year's Leger. Should be much better suited by today's trip of 8.5f.

Looks like Colin and I were on the same wavelength and posting at the same time!

Sorry Colin, I've probably ruined Palisade's chances by backing it!

Looks like all three of us on! Could be some good horses in the race, finger's crossed ours is one of them!

Notice he has a derby entry in the 1430! Not many of his win on debut though.

You could well be right Benny, think I did say in my original post it could well be one of Prescott's handicap debutante's upped in trip when we need to be on it.

Not a big bet on it today but at the price worth taking a small chance that it improves for the last run, expecially with Prescott's stable seemingly in decent form.

You pays your money and takes your choice. Personally I'd never dream of backing one from that yard that wasn't strong in the market.

Stranger things have happened Benny but you are right, you'd expect the yard to be backing it. He did have a 14-1 winner yesterday though...

Last edited:
4th time out it is!!! Sorry Danoli!

Not to worry, saw what the odds were and how stable they proved on the track, openend 14/1 and never moved a bit. That's not the story of a well-regarded horse to back. Anyway I changed my mind when I saw the market and had Benny's comment in my head, too. So I had to weigh it up who to follow and decided to go for Benny's view rather than yours - sorry PTP ;)

Back