The 2015 2-y-o thread.

No FSS winners yesterday.

Today there are 10 2-y-o races - Curragh (2), Leicester (3), Musselburgh (2) and Wolverhampton (3) - today's top5-FSS runners are:

Leicester
2.20 Zoffany Zoffanys Pride 12/1

Musselburgh
2.00 Zoffany Flyboy 9/1, Lilbourne Lad Nokhada 11/8f

Wolverhampton
7.10 Zoffany Zoffany's Way 6/1

Another rather quiet day for the FSS - Zoffany has 3 runners, we'll have to wait and see whether one of them is good enough to go close. Lilbourne Lad has a favourite under order, so he may well become the sole 3rd again and leave Dream Ahead behind.

Enjoy!

Two nice races at the Curragh today.

RAYMONDA (9/4) a newcomer who is a half-sister to, Caponata - a winner at Listed level, and Brooch - the winner of a Group 2 at the Curragh earlier this year.
EAVESDROP (8/1), who showed little on debut, is a half-sister to top class sprinter Kingsgate Native.

IDAHO, making his debut, is a full-brother to Highland Reel (RPR 116) the winner of the Grade 1 Secretariat Stakes at Arlington in August, and a half-brother to Valdemoro, twice second in Group 1s in Australia.

Two nice races at the Curragh today.

RAYMONDA (9/4) a newcomer who is a half-sister to, Caponata - a winner at Listed level, and Brooch - the winner of a Group 2 at the Curragh earlier this year.
EAVESDROP (8/1), who showed little on debut, is a half-sister to top class sprinter Kingsgate Native.

IDAHO, making his debut, is a full-brother to Highland Reel (RPR 116) the winner of the Grade 1 Secretariat Stakes at Arlington in August, and a half-brother to Valdemoro, twice second in Group 1s in Australia.

Well done, matie! Hope you did the win double on both races - Raymonda and Idaho both more than comfortable winners and both at 4/1. Great job, Col!

Yesterday Nokhada at 13/8 won by 2 lengths to give Lilbourne Lad win number 18 for the season The only other win for a FSS was for Pour Moi who is on 4 wins now.

Today there are 7 2-y-o races - Kempton (3), and Nottingham (4) - today's top5-FSS runners are:

Kempton
7.15 Canford Cliffs Bay of St Malo 13/8f

Nottingham
2.30 Zoffany Architecture 13/8f, Canford Cliffs Ceecubed 33/1 & De Veer Cliffs 33/1, Poet's Voice Purple Raven 12/1
3.00 Lilbourne Lad Bag of Diamonds 12/1, Poet's Voice Nietzsche 5/2f

An interesting day as both Zoffany and Canford Cliffs have a 13/8f under order - Canford Cliffs would need a win urgently to come back into the game whilst Zoffany could nearly seal it in case his favourite obliges and Canford Cliffs' favourite fails.

Enjoy!

So Zoffany contributed his bit for the day when Architecture (11/4) won her race by 1 1/2 lengths thus beating De Veer Cliffs (a 100/1 shot by Canford Cliffs).

For the moment Zoffany is 5 wins clear off Canford Cliffs who urgently needs a winner tonight when R.Hannon's Bay of St Malo runs on the Kempton polytrack and is the 6/4f in a race of 13. Her record up to now reads 733, so she is respected but no banker at all. However, last time she was beat 2 3/4 lengths by Dawn Of Hope who since ran in the Dubai Fillies Mile (Gr.1) and was beaten into 6th place by a total of some 14 1/2 lengths behind Minding.

So it's not to easy to evaluate Bay of St Malo's class for tonight's race when she faces a FTO Dansili filly trained by C.Hills, a Lawman filly trained by J.Gosden (an improved 3rd last time out) or a once-ran Acclamation filly trained by H.Palmer who ran a modest 5th FTO but is expected to show some improvement.

At least Zoffany can't end the day with less an advantage than what he held yesterday.

Last edited:
Yesterday's winner for Zoffany I already mentioned. Canford Cliffs could not counter with a winner yesterday evening. The only other FSS win was once again for Pour Moi who is on 5 wins now for the season.

Today there are 5 2-y-o races - Brighton (2), and Chelmsford (3) - today's top5-FSS runners are:

Brighton
2.00 Lilbourne Lad Donttouchthechips 11/1

Chelmsford
5.45 Dream Ahead Silent Dreamer 9/1
6.15 Canford Cliffs Wimpole Hall 3/1, Dream Ahead He's A Dreamer 11/2

No runner for Zoffany today whilst Canford Cliff has a chance with his sole runner.

Enjoy!

A winner yesterday for Canford Cliffs when Wimpole Hall (7/2) won his race by 1 3/4 lengths. This results in Zoffany leading Canford Cliffs by 33-29 with 20 days of UK flat racing to go until the November, 7th deadline. So all still looking well for Zoffany at the moment

Today there are 12 2-y-o races - Dundalk (2), Haydock (5), Redcar (3) and Woolverhampton (2) - today's top5-FSS runners are:[/U]

Dundalk
5.35 Lilbourne Lad Three Majors 16/1
6.05 Zoffany The Yellow Bus 15/8f & Spirit Of Time 22/1

Haydock
1.30 Zoffany Pinky Promise 15/2
2.00 Canford Cliffs Oceanella 33/1
4.55 Poet's Voice Poet's Beauty 13/2

Redcar
1.40 Poet's Voice G K Chesterton 5/2
2.10 Canford Cliffs Canford Kilbey 6/1, Lilbourne Lad Mecca's Missus 4/1f

Wolverhampton
6.20 Lilbourne Lad Cadland Lad 16/1
6.50 Dream Ahead Dream Dreamer 10/1

It looks to be a day where FSS winners can well be expected. Of the top2-FSS Zoffany should have slightly better chances than Canford Cliffs due to his 15/8f at Dundalk.

This afternoon I'll post the preview listing for the weekend.

Enjoy!

Here's the list of the top5-FSS runners for Saturday and Sunday (the odds are the forecast odds of the Sporting Life racecard by race and thus may not be as accurate as the odds posted in the morning of a raceday):

Saturday - a total of 4 2-y-o races in UK & IRL - Catterick (2) and Cork (2) - runners of top5-FSS are:

Catterick
2.15 Zoffany Wowcha 8/1, Canford Cliffs Lady Canford 9/2

Sunday - a total of 6 2-y-o race in UK & IRL - Bath (2) and Naas (4) - runners of top5-FSS are:

Naas
1.50 Canford Cliffs Bearwood 20/1
2.20 Zoffany Gainmill Girl, Canford Cliffs Truffles 16/1
4.00 Zoffany Dilly Daydream 20/1

It looks like I've reduced the listing to the top2-FSS, but that's not the case. There are simply no other runners out of the top5-FSS than by Zoffany and Canford Cliffs. The Sunday does not really entitle to any high hopes for a winner by either of the two whilst on Saturday I would not rule out a winner in the 2.15 at Catterick. Altogether a very quiet weekend and every quiet day with no good chances is in favour of Zoffany.

Enjoy!

A couple that might be worth looking out for today.

Redcar 2.45
TIMES LEGACY (20/1) is a newcomer by Cape Cross and is a half-brother to loadsa winners, the best of them being Welsh Emperor, a prolific winner who took the 7f. Group 2 Hungerford at Newbury in 2006.

Dundalk 6.05
EVEN SONG (7/2) a Mastercraftsman filly who is having her first run, she is a half-sister to Simple Verse, this year's Leger winner.

Even Song a touch unlucky yesterday? Certainly lost more at the start than he was beaten at the finish.

A couple of interest today.

Catterick 2.15
WOWCHA (5/1) made a reasonable fist of her debut at Ayr, she is a Zoffany half-sister to The Wow Signal (RPR 116) winner of the Group 2 Coventry at Ascot and the Group 1 Prix Morny at Deauville last year.

Cork 3.00
MOONLIGHT MAGIC (11/8), who is making his debut, is a half-brother to seven winners, all of them decent, the best of them, Masterstroke (RPR 114) was third in the 2012 Arc.

As mentioned by edgt, Moonlight Magic just got home from the strong-finishing Embiran. Wowcha could only manage fourth but lost a lot of ground when a horse stumbled and unseated just in front of him.

One favourite and a longshot to look out for today.

Naas 2.20
NOT MISBEGOTTEN (2/1) is an unarmed half-sister to Nahoodh (RPR 116), the winner of the Group 2 Loather as a 2-y-o and the Group 1 Falmouth the following year.

Bath 3.35
HAMISH MCGONAGAIN (20/1) was green on debut but showed he was not devoid of ability by staying on after a slow start; he is a half-brother to Jimmy Styles (RPR 111) the winner of a Listed race at Doncaster and a Group 3 at Deauville, both races over 6f.

Last edited:
Just one FSS winner since Friday afternoon when G K Chesterton (3/1) beat the 8/13f by a clear 4 1/2 lengths to give Poet's Voice win number 17 for the season. The overall standing at the top remains with Zoffany leading Canford Cliffs 33-29. The chasing pack for 3rd place is Lilbourne Lad with 18 wins, Dream Ahead and Poet's Voice with 17 wins.

Today there are 4 2-y-o races in UK & IRL - Pontefract (2) and Windsor (2) - today's top5-FSS runners are:

Pontefract
2.40 Lilbourne Lad Lilozza 14/1

Windsor
2.50 Lilbourne Lad Lilbourne Prince 12/1

Another very uninspiring day with Lilbourne Lad the only top5-FSS with runners today. Therefore, the top2-FSS have just 16 UK flat racing days left until November, 7th. With every day going by it looks more and more certain that Zoffany will become champion FSS this season - both by number of wins and by prizemoney!

Enjoy!

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to your post on Wednesday when you'll have about 10 races just from Newmarket (i'm exaggerating maybe 7 if one race divides). If Zoffany can score in 1 or 2 of those that will be it and I'll have been wrong. The deciding day of the season with another 4 races (2 each at Navan and Kempton).

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to your post on Wednesday when you'll have about 10 races just from Newmarket (i'm exaggerating maybe 7 if one race divides). If Zoffany can score in 1 or 2 of those that will be it and I'll have been wrong. The deciding day of the season with another 4 races (2 each at Navan and Kempton).

Thanks, will aprreciate if there is a bit more to follow. Obviously it's a bit more workload to go through all races and put the summaries in here but days like today are just boring. So I'm rather looking forward to Wednesday then :cool:

Had a brief look at tomorrow's and Wednesday's cards - nothing to get me carried away in respect to Zoffany and potential winners by him. One runner in a 2-y-o race at Newmarket on Wednesday - probably a good horse but so seem to be the others. Zoffany's best chance may well be in one of the two Navan 2-y-o races on Wednesday - large field and not final, could well be split into 2 divisions and 4 of the 31 horses in there are Zoffany's - 3 of them trained by APOB.

An interesting development. Some (many) years ago there used to be races for "maidens at closing" which enabled winners to reappear quickly without the likelihood that they would be coming up against other winners, and there were races for "maidens at starting" the same as the present day maidens; that seemed to work alright, as far as I remember.

Presumably horses will be limited in the number of 'plus 10' races in which they will be qualified to pick up the bonus.

Last edited:
No FSS winners yesterday - however, the number of races today and tomorrow is considerably higher than in the last few days so I think there will be a few FSS winners coming soon.

Today there are 11 2-y-o races in the UK & IRL - Gowran Park (2), Lingfield (2), Windsor (3) and Wolverhampton (4) - today's top5-FSS runners are:

Gowran Park
2.05 Lilbourne Lad Trump Card 28/1

Lingfield
4.05 Zoffany Zoffany's Way 11/1, Canford Cliffs Canford Thompson 15/8f

Windsor
1.50 Canford Cliffs Belle Mare Plage 25/1, Dream Ahead Fleeting Dream 6/1
2.50 Dream Ahead Golden Stunner 5/2f, Poet's Voice Al Egda 13/2

Wolverhampton
7.40 Zoffany Gecko 16/1, Lilbourne Lad Lembit And Butler 20/1
8.10 Poet's Voice Vroom 18/1

I think there is a decent chance of having a FSS winner today - it won't come by Zoffany though whose 2 runners are making no appeal at 11/1 and 16/1. Best chance of the day will be through the Canford Cliffs runner Canford Thompson (15/8f) in the 4.05 at Lingfield. Trained by M.Botti he came a decent third in his only race so far and the additional experience together with some progress to be expected makes him a deserved favourite. However, a danger may well be expected from the C.Hills trained Carry Me Home (7/2) who also shaped nicely in his one and only start so far when coming 4th on the polytrack at Kempton. I firmly expect those two runners for the forecast in this field of 13 runners.

Countdown to the final raceday for the FSS championship 2015 on November 7th: 16 days of flat racing in the UK and Ireland including today (plus 4 2-y-o races at Leopardstown coming Sunday).

Current standing: Zoffany 33 - 29 Canford Cliffs

Enjoy!

Last edited:
An interesting development. Some (many) years ago there used to be races for "maidens at closing" which enabled winners to reappear quickly without the likelihood that they would be coming up against other winners, and there were races for "maidens at starting" the same as the present day maidens; that seemed to work alright, as far as I remember.

Presumably horses will be limited in the number of 'plus 10' races in which they will be qualified to pick up the bonus.

Exactly what I first thought of Colin. Maidens at Closing were quite the thing and a certain H Cecil was very astute at winning such races. If I remember Kris won his maiden (at starting) then a week or so afterwards won a maiden at closing. However closing is different now, so it cannot be the same.
I certainly think there's nothing wrong with the premise that a horse that has won should be allowed to take on a maiden with an allowance in weight being given to the maiden (as used to be the case and should be again).
Not entirely sure why they think there should be more runners though....maybe....just not sure.

A number of interesting races today.

Gowran 2.05
KELLSTORM (2/1) a newcomer who is a full-brother to, Order Of St. George (RPR 125) the winner of this year's Irish St. Leger, and a half-brother to three other black-type performers. Galileo's record for debutant winners isn't great - 6 from 57 in the last three years.

Windsor 1.50
EXIST (9/4), Dettori reported as saying the filly ran too free (you could say that) when 6.5 lengths third on debut at Leicester. She is a half-sister to Temple Meads (RPR 114) the winner of the 2010 Group 2 Mill Reef.
FLEETING DREAM (8/1), a newcomer who is a Dream Ahead half-sister to four black-type winners, including G Force (RPR 121) the winner of last year's Group 1 Betfred Sprint Cup at Haydock. Only 2 out of 28 Dream Ahead's won on debut, conversely Haggas has a respectable percentage of winning debutants.

Wolverhampton 7.40
HOLIDAY HENRY (20/1) pulled hard on his debut over 8.5f. at this course earlier in the month and finished out the back; he is a gelded half-brother to Lord Admiral (RPR 116), the winner of six races up to Group 2 level and won at Naas on his second run as a 2-y-o.

Had a brief look at tomorrow's and Wednesday's cards - nothing to get me carried away in respect to Zoffany and potential winners by him. One runner in a 2-y-o race at Newmarket on Wednesday - probably a good horse but so seem to be the others. Zoffany's best chance may well be in one of the two Navan 2-y-o races on Wednesday - large field and not final, could well be split into 2 divisions and 4 of the 31 horses in there are Zoffany's - 3 of them trained by APOB.

ED,
just had a look at tomorrow's Navan card regarding any Zoffany runners - the 3.50 is the one talked about. It's not split into 2 divisions as there were 16 defections from the original 31 entries. Two of the 4 Zoffany entries stood their ground and they are 3rd and 4th favourite at 6/1 and 13/2 (behind a 9/4 favourite trained by M.Halford). They obviously have a chance but just as well they are no bankers for a Zoffany win.

So Wednesday most likely will not be the deciding day for this year's FSS championship - even though there are so many 2-y-o races today and tomorrow.

Will be interesting to see how the Dubawi filly by Dar Re Mi gets on at Windsor on her debut.

Will be interesting to see how the Dubawi filly by Dar Re Mi gets on at Windsor on her debut.

Bang on! Drifting constantly from opening show of 9/2 to 6/1 at the off - normally not the best of signs -, but she beat Golden Stunner, the 7/4f by Dream Ahead, by a neck. Congrats, Frankel!

Back