The 2015 2-y-o thread.

We're gradually getting into the season with more 2-y-o races and with bigger fields, too - especially on the other side of the Irish sea.

Looked ahead at some of the races over the next few days - my appetite for 2-y-o races is growing nicely :thumbsup:

Of the first season sires Lilbourne Lad is my fancy to continue flying the flag - 28 runs of first season sire progeny, 10 of which by Lilbourne Lad with 5 of them making it into the top 3, agreed, some of them in small fields only.

May be Zoffany is the likeliest contender to turn it into a battle, but it's early days yet. Last season Zebedee build a nice and comfortable lead, only to find Showcasing's progeny explode in late season and reduce the comfortable gap to just 2 wins in the end.

Let's hope for a nice battle this season, too!

Southwell 3.10

Looks a poor event; the only one to have raced Luvly, a rather distant third at this track earlier in the month, of the un-raced Reflektor appeals most to me.

its a poor race..but probably the most interesting re betting.

Every FTO horse here has poor sire stats FTO on sand with 2yo..Browns one by stimulation is just poor altogether on the AW with an AE of 0.15 from 52 runners.

There seems to be no prob with Luvly..good sire stats..and has the advantage of a run

Not much joy from yesterday's preview, just to say that Dancing On Air did not run well, Zoffany had a winner with Argentero and David Evans landed a bit of a touch at with Silver Wings.

Today:

Brighton 1.55

Can't work up much enthusiasm for this, perhaps Just Emma can step up on here last run here.

Wolverhampton 2.05

Just the four of them and a chance for Canford Cliffs to break his duck with Thee And Me?

Newcastle 5.10

Only four runners again but two of them previous winners; Ravenhoe, the Brocklesby winner, was made favourite to follow up at Newmarket but probablylost his chance with a scruffy start; Gin In The Inn was an impressive winner on debut at Leicester; Krystallite's second at Wolverhampton doesn't look good enough.

Chelmsford 6.30

Anwar, the likely favourite, has the dreaded 22 as form figures, Silk Bow the other one who has had a run only beat one home in the Brocklesby but did run prominently for most of the trip before tiring. If it wasn't for trainer Derek Shaw's atrocious record with 2-y-os I could be persuaded in having an interest in his Memyselfie ('horrible name), she's by Kodiac out of Cool Tarifa who has produced the useful Smoothtalkinrascal winner of a Class 2 5f. conditions race at Musselburgh.

Last edited:
Enjoyed that Silver Wings run :) , however two of the least likeliest bettingwise winning easily so far today - Just Emma, Thee And Me !

Thee And Mee delivered Canford Cliffs first winner in surprisingly easy fashion, for the 18/1 outsider of four, at Wolverhampton yesterday.

Todays's races:

Pontefract 2.00

The only one with a run is Sixth Sense, sent off the 5/2 favourite for a maiden at Newbury, in a race that impressed our time-gurus he was staying on well to finish third to Harvard Man and Ring Of Truth. The stiff Pontefract course should suit and it will take a smart newcomer to get him beat. Of the un-raced Rockcliffe , a Notnowcato colt trained by Mick Channon is worth keeping an eye on.

Ascot 2.25

Three unbeaten colts in this and Gifted Master, impressive at Newmarket, looks the obvious choice. At this point, with no way of knowing the strength of the form, I won't be taking a short price. I know fellow poster EC reckons the Buratino is decent and Handytalk, by first season sire Lilbourne Lad, returned a good SF at Windsor. One to watch methinks.

aye nice little race Col

purely on the sectional speed figs..albeit Buratino's is from tricky Chelmsford... i get Buratino the best horse on 86..Gifted Master 81 ...Handy Talk 79.

Gifted Master is a throw out for me..sire's record over 5f at Ascot is 1/26 performing at only 50% of their market chance.

Buratino has a trainer negative in that Johnston isn't too hot at Ascot with 2yo..and over 5f there is 1/24 with success rate just 36% of market chance.

Hannon's seems to be ok and its always possible Buratino will beat the trainer stats..throw in Handy Talk..who was probably showing all he has at Windsor..possibly.

tough to call the winner,,but the fav is poor value imo..so will just lay it i think.

Sixth Sense could like this stiff 5 but i'm sure will be better over 6..shamardal's are very poor over 5f as 2yo..just 1/39 with a poor performance rating..not backing at evens today..might scoot in just because its a test but will watch today and wait for 6f either way.

that maiden was very very good at Newbury

Last edited:
the figures are looking good Col..sixth sense confirmed the Newbury mdn form ..turned the race into a good test to outweight the 5f stat and Buratino beat Gifted..Hannons 2yo looks a real Coventry effort on that performance..be interesting to see the figures later..looked pretty smart beating good 80 odd hosses easily

not done ascot card yet but the maiden at Pontefract was a listed class time once marked up for sectional..the winner has run a 105 but the one to watch in a maiden next time is First To Post who ran a 92 FTO here

Sixth Sense was absolutely as you suggested Colin. Looks as if the Newbury form is supported further by that victory. Read somewhere that Ring of Truth is such a late foal that she could improve more than The Harvard Man. But Hannon yesterday seemed to be saying Log Out Island is his first proper 2yo he's had out. So presumably considered better than RoT, which must put him top of the heap of those seen out so far.

Yes, though the credit should go to EC and his fellow time followers, Sixth Sense got the job done and looked the winner all the way. Mark Johnston, after the race, confirming the thoughts of EC that the colt needs further than five now.

At Ascot the Hannon stable knew what they had with their newcomer, Log Out Island, well backed throughout the day he put the race to bed quite quickly.

A lowly seller at Redcar is the only 2-y-o race today and from a form and breeding viewpoint Rockfield Last is the obvious choice. By the new sire Frozen Power out of Speckled Hen who has produced a couple of winners.

Last edited:
I think Toomuch tosay looks big at 8s , Moore 0-9 with 2yos in maidens but three places , Dam unraced but related to winners at 2 , sire does ok with runners here from only 12 runners.

Took 8s ew with hills

Picked up the place money, Kev.

A lowly start but a winner for FSS Frozen Power with Rockfield Last landing the odds at Redcar.

Quiet day again today.

Musselburgh 1.50

Halsall, the only one to have had a race, was second at Beverley in a race that has produced two winners. That should be good enough to take this but I will be keeping an eye on Furiant, out of a mare that has produced a couple of decent animals, and Anahorish, by the very good young sire Showcasing out of a Rock Of Gibraltar mare.

Disappointing effort by Halsall yesterday just managing to beat one home. The Mark Johnston- trained winner Furiant looked useful on debut.

Today's two races:

Thirsk 2.10

None of the four who have had a run created much of an impression and I can't get too excited by the pedigrees of the newcomers, Bobby's Babe and Mr. Lupton might be the best of them.

Doncaster 6.15

Mr. Morse and Secret Ambition are the two that have run and the latter showed more promise, 5th. behind Astley Hall at Redcar. Mr. Morse is of special interest to this forum as his dam is owned and, if I remember correctly, was bred by our own Songsheet (that's the dam's name as well). He didn't show a great deal on debut (sorry, I missed it, Julie) but being a half-brother to a couple of decent animals I'm sure he'll being doing better. Good luck, m'dear and c'mon Endeavour.
There is a FSS sire with a runner here, Wootton Basset's first and the dam has previously produced a runner that was third in the 2010 running of the Norfolk.

Millenium Falcon won the Thirsk race in workmanlike fashion, Bobby's Babe was withdrawn at the start and Mr. Lupton was probably a touch unlucky (drawn out wide) and ran well enough in second.
Birchwood was expected at Doncaster and didn't disappoint, strong fit and fancied he did the job well. Mr. Morse improved a great deal for his debut and is sure to win races. The Wootton Bassett colt Clive Clifton didn't show a lot.

Today:

Salisbury 2.40

Two FSS represented here, Illuminate a Zoffany filly and Roderick O'Connor by the Windsor winner, Great Page. The latter will probably be a very short-priced favourite but I'm going to have a small interest in Komedy, by Kodiac out of a mare whose only previous runner Jane's Memory won on her 2-y-o debut at Leicester and went on to be placed second in a Group 3 in France.

Newmarket 4.15

This looks open. City Of Stars, by the first season sire Lilbourne Lad, is the only one to have a run, second to Gifted Master over this course last month but he was four lengths behind the winner. Another FSS Canford Cliffs has Belle Mare Plage running for him. A race to watch and learn as far as I am concerned.

Last edited:
Academy House was Bell's first 2yo runner of the season in the Newmarket maiden and ran a nice sort of race to finish 3rd. A colt by Kodiac he should go in next time especially on better going. Have been watching the Bell gallops and he was definitely top of the list at the moment. Best? Most forward? Probably the latter. Of the others Golden Hello (same owner Gredley and by Zebedee) looks next in line, though it was noticeable that Academy House was learning more quickly than him. Interesting trying to tie up the relative merits from the gallops. Probably a good way to fool yourself and lose a lot of money. Of the others Rosecomb (a filly by RvW) has shown well and seems to understand what she's got to do.

It's a pity a few other don't show their gallops.

Last edited:
Academy House made a nice debut behind Zebstar at Newmarket yesterday and should come on for the run.

As pointed out by Benny above, Zoffany had a nice winner with Illuminate at Salisbury. I was not too disappointed in Komedy, she looked as if she needs the run and will come on for this. The Roderick O'Connor filly, Great Page, was heavily supported in to 1/3 but was well beaten by her stable companion.

Today:

Beverley 1.00 (why is the racing starting so early today?)

FSS Elusive Pimpernel has a runner in Burning Shadow. Majestic Bond would appear to have the best form of those that have run.

Bath 1.25

The four that have had a run have hardly beaten a horse between them. Brian Meehan's two colts may be the best of the debutants but there is no great confidence behind that statement.

Curragh 2.05

Zoffany has Color Model running for him here but I would think one, at least, of the previous winners would be too good for her but I haven't an idea which one will win.

Yesterday heavy going at the Curragh took its toll and they all finished in a heap. Difficult to take anything out of the race.
Nothing caught the eye in the Bath race though the run of the favourite, Captain Thunderbolt, gives some support to the theory that Meehan's 2-y-os always need their first run.
At Beverley the favourite, Majestic Bond, set out to make all but couldn't resist the challenge of, the winner, King's Mimic, and lost out on second close home. The winner appeared to show a nice turn of foot approaching the final furlong and could win again.

Today:

Catterick 6.00

Not a great deal of interest in this but first season sire Soul City is represented by Be Bop Tango who ran fourth to Astley Hall in what be a decent race at Redcar last month. Bond Bombshell ran second in a moderate race at Beverley and Mistymoistymorning was going on at the finish to get second in a five-runner event at Southwell.

Yesterday at Catterick Be Bop Tango, who seems to have a bit of size about him, won quite nicely but it was probably a weak race.

Today:

Brighton 2.00

Marcus Tregoning!! has the first twoin the betting. From the form and breeding perspective Port Gaverne would be my choice.

Chester 2.10

First season sires Canford Cliffs (Thee And Me) and Lilbourne Lad (City Of Stars) have runners in this both showed ability on their debuts but this looks a tricky event. Silver Wings, a well-supported winner on debut at Windsor has the plum draw and might justify his position at the head of the market. The 50/1 available on the other David Evans runner, Nag's Wag, looks generous.

Got the wrong Tregoning horse at Brighton yesterday where the 2-y-os were being buffeted about by a strong gusting wind. Form probably doesn't amount to much.

At Chester Rah Rah showed great resolution to get back up after being passed by Silver Wings entering the final furlong. The first two could be smart.

Today:

Chester 4.20

The market leader, Raj To Riches, has the ominous form figures 22 in front of his name. The clock-watchers liked the race that Young John ran second in at Chelmsford. I'm hoping that High Speed handles the start better than he did on debut at Windsor, if so the 2 draw will be helpful. High Speed is by Kodiac out of a mare who has produced a couple of decent animals.

interesting race Col

Buratino didn't let that Chelmsford form down when beaten at Ascot..that Ascot race was easily the fastest 2yo race this season and teh winner looks surefire Royal meeting level

Obviously you are always wary of AW form back on turf..espcially from there ..but Young John looks reasonable in this.

One off putting stat for Raj To Riches is trainer's record here with 2yo..overall they win only 50% as often as they should but at this time of year his record is 1/33..performing at just 25% of what they should do..RTR has to be a lay for me.

Back