The 2015 2-y-o thread.

Yesterday at Salisbury Frivolous Lady improved enormously on her debut at Windsor, where she finished tailed off, to run on strongly to lead close home and win at 50/1. Back in fourth Richard Hannon's Racquet looked capable of winning races. At York another that improved for his first run was Seastrom, trained by Charlie Appleby. I've read that this trainers 2-y-os second time out can be backed blindly for a profit (that's buggered that stat!!). Some nice debuts in behind Seastrom, Sir Roger Moore (third), Ode To Evening (5th) and to a lesser extent Munira Eyes (8th) all showed promise. There was another big-priced winner at Newmarket where Vallance Road (16/1) came with a late run to catch Cat Royale and Ocean Eleven. Probably not the strongest maiden ever run at this course.

Today:

Newbury 1.50

Only one first season sire with a runner and that's Cape Blanco with Parafin Young. Bluebeard by Dansili out of Arabesque dam of Showcasing, Camacho, Tendu and Bouvardia is probably the most interesting. Rockliffe, who has already had a run, and Tazaaayud also have some appeal.

Newmarket 2.00

There are a couple here by FSS Canford Cliffs (Belle Mare Plage) and Dream Ahead (Hillside Dream). The latter didn't do too badly on debut over 5f. here last month and should come on for the run. Others of interest are Aberlady, Girl With A Pearl and Stars N Angels.

York 2.10

A tricky looking race. Two runners for FSS Lilbourne Lad, Abberley Dancer, already a winner and Lil's Joy who ran fourth in that race at Chelmsford that impressed our clock-watcher, EC.

Newbury 2.20

Whitecliff Park, by FSS Canford Cliffs, is a half-brother to Mojo Rising, winner of a Listed race in France. No Education (by Showcasing) and Predilection (by First Defence) are of interest.

Newmarket 3.05

Rockley Point is another runner for FSS Canford Cliffs. Buratino, the winner of that Chelmsford race, is the favourite here.

Hamilton 5.50

Ressurreto is a runner for FSS Frozen Power and is a half-sister to the useful Maid In Rio. First Post made a nice debut when second at Pontefract and could go one better here. Ahdaf is an interesting newcomer being a half-brother to New Providence, a winner on debut last year and second in the Group 3 fillies race over 7f. at Lingfield last week.

Sorry about the rather brief previews but I'm in time trouble!!

Last edited:
A good day for the stallion Acclamation at Newbury yesterday with two of his colts, Qeyaadah and King Of Rooks winning the two divisions of the 6f. maiden. The former was making his debut but King Of Rooks was benefitting from his third at Ascot on debut. King Of Rooks pulled right away from his field to win by six lengths. In the first division Nelspruit made a very promising debut in second placeand will be winning soon and at 33/1 No Education showed some promise in the second division.At Newmarket Palenville (R.Hannom) put in a thoroughly professional performance to take the maiden. The four-runner novice event was a rather unsatisfactory affair as the slow early pace turned the race into a two-furlong sprint. The lack of early pace saw the second favourite Gifted Master fighting for his head and once they started racing two out he showed a certain lack of steerability as he drifted away from the stands rail and gifted the race to the favourite Buratino. There were some fast fillies in the Listed Marygate Stakes at York and Delizia after running prominently pulled away convincingly inside the final furlong to take it. White Bullet, making her debut, ran a fine race in third. Dressed In Fur, the winner at Hamilton ,was difficult to fancy. She unseated her rider from the stalls on debut and was outpaced on her second run at Leicester. The favourite, FirstTo Post, ran very poorly and the second favourite ran not a lot better.

Today:

Newbury 1.25

This looks much too difficult to get involved in. There is a runner, Handytalk, for first season sire Lilbourne Lad but I'd be surprised if he's good enough to take this.

Thirsk 1.55

Another Lilbourne Lad runner here with Richter Scale who did alright when third to French at Ripon on debut although French didn't do a lot for the form at York yesterday. My fancy for this is Komedy, she is a Kodiac half-sister to the useful Jane's Memory who was good enough to run second in a Group 2 in France. Komedy was only 5th. of 6 on debut at Salisbury but can be expected to improve a lot for that run.

Thirsk 2.30

Can't work up any enthusiasm for this event. Jeanie's Place , a Fahey debutante, heads the market but her breeding doesn't make much appeal. There are a couple of daughters of Kodiac involved with Little Lotte available at 6/1 and Nefetari 16/1. A race I will not be getting involved in.

Doncaster 6.45

Cotton Camera, another runner for Lilbourne Lad, never overcame stumbling at the stanton her Beverley debut and she should do better here. The market is headed by an un-raced Kevin Ryan filly, Top Of The Bank, whose half-brother, Mayoman, won 10 from 37 winning over 5 and 6f. and also won on his racecourse debut all be it was as a 3-y-o. Bogssipop is the other one with a decent run to her name but she was beaten over 10 lengths on her debut at Pontefract.

A nice opener at Newbury but I don't think that there were any super-stars on show. A couple didn't run up to expectations but Birchwood, a strong sort, ran on well to win with Beaverbrook, another nice-looking colt, in second. beaver brook seemed to take a big step up on previous form and he looks to be an improver. Richter Scale (by Lilbourne Lad) was a very convincing winner of the first at Thirsk. I'm afraid my fancy Komedy was weak in the market and never figured in the race, more time needed? There was another convincing winner in the second division at Thirsk, Jeanie's Place (tipped up on another thread) kept up the excellent record of the Fahey yard in 2-y-o races this season, don't think she beat much. At Doncaster Strands Of Silk, a Kodiac filly, made all and ran out a comfortable winner.

Today

Ripon 2.10

Northern Beau is a runner for First Season Sire Canford Cliffs. Sahreej fourth behind Zeb's Star at Newmarket on debut is a justifiable favourite but 11/10 looks skinny. Twisting Hay will probably appreciate the extra furlong and don't leave Addicted To Love out of calculations, a poor draw and slovenly start didn't help his cause at Chester last time but he was staying on over that sharp 5f.

Ripon 2.40

A seller with to runners for Lilbourne Lad. Haven't got a clue what will win and they go 4/1 the field this morning. Good luck if you decide to get involved.

Navan 2.50

Stone Mountain (A.P. O'Brien) heads the market, the yard's form has been a bit in and out and Stone Mountain was weak in the market on debut and he didn't get the smoothest of trips. He should improve here and there doesn't appear to be any excitingly bred ones amongst the others.

Last edited:
Interesting little race at Leicester tomorrow for the juveniles.

I don't know why but I expected Lilbourne Lad to be responsible for a load of precocious types, probably because he was out early himself but looking through his form he did well over 6f so I suppose he could be one for plenty of maiden winners from June onwards. Could be this season's Showcasing.

We have seen a few exciting two-year-old already, but I was really impressed with Finnegan. He will win the Coventry imho.

LBM you've got me confused the only 2-y-o Finnegan I can find is one in the US who ran second in a 4f. event is that the one?

Yesterday Stone Market was again weak in the market and didn't find a lot close home to finish third to Auld Enemy. In the first at Ripon, Dodgy Bob ran on well to hold the challenge of the favourite Sahreej. Charlie Hills' 2-y-os yet to get going. In the seller there was a welcome winner for Bill Turner. The winner, Mustn't Grumble, was bought in for 4,500 and the second, Imshi's Little Bro, changed hands for 6,000.

Today:

Redcar 2.20

Midnight Robbery is a runner for First Season Sire Dick Turpin. Risk Adjusted is a short-priced favourite and has some decent form but we don't like the form figures 22, do we ?! Of the great un-raced:) London Protocol makes some appeal.

Southwell 3.00

The Mark Johnston-trained Mistymoistymorning is the odds-on favourite. I have no opinion on this!

Leicester 6.15

This looks very open with any one of five the possible favourite at the off. The Showcasing colt case would be interesting if the 2-y-os from the Charlie Hills stable were in better form.

Windsor 6.35

Another open affair and with almost no form to go on and nothing catching the eye from the breeding angle. One to just watch.

Windsor 7.05

A three-runner Novice Stakes and the betting suggests there is very little between Silver Wings and Soapy Aitken. I believe the clock-watchers will be supporting the former.

LBM you've got me confused the only 2-y-o Finnegan I can find is one in the US who ran second in a 4f. event is that the one?

Coolmore owned, trained by Ward, he won his msw at Pimlico by 5l the other day, eased down in a very good time. He is a half brother to Bodemeister. Proper juvenile, he will be hard to beat.

Yesterday in the first at Redcar Mon Beau Visage made quite a pleasing debut to just get the better of the favourite Risk Adjusted (whose form figures now read 222!!). London Protocol (third) and Fast And Furious (fourth) look capable of winning. Misu Moneypenny won what looked a poor race at Southwell with some ease. Case Key (a Showcasing colt) made quite an impressive winning debut at Leicester and broke a losing sequence for Charlie Hills. At Windsor Dream Dreamerbecame the first winner for first season sire Dream Ahead, making all and winning unchallenged. Of course, I managed to miss this one out of my preview yesterday. Just the three runners for the Novices Stakes and Silver Wings set the race up nicely for the favourite Soapy Aitken to win.

Today

Nottingham 2.00 FSS Lilbourne Lad (City Of Stars) and Zoffany (Papa Luigi) have runners in this. Shanghai Glory heads the market and his third at Windsor behind Silver Wings and in front of Dream Dreamer reads better than City Of Stars efforts at Newmarket and Chester. Cogent, by Paco Boy out of Logic, is a half-brother to a number of decent animals and is worth keeping an eye on.

Chepstow 2.10

FSS Lilbourne Lad is represented by Window Shopping here. The favourite, at the moment, Another Boy takes an apparent drop in class after making a prominent debut in Harvard Man's maiden at Newbury. Of the other newcomers Poldark (Hannon/Hughes) is of interest.

Dundalk 5.40

Bracklin Princess, by FSS Elusive Pimpernel, has only managed to beat one horse home in two races. Birdcage, the shade of odds-on favourite, was slowly away when an easily beaten third of four behind Washington DC at Tipperary last month. Miss Phillyjinks, at the moment is the 4/1 second favourite, is by FSS Zoffany out of a mare who has produced three fair animals.

A good day for punters in the 2-y-o races yesterday with all three winning. At Nottingham Shanghai Glory gave Charlie Hills his second winner in two days; in behind Papa Luigi, a Hannon trained Zoffany colt, ran very promisingly having missed the break, he's sure to be winning soon. Another Hannon colt, Poldark, also missed the break in the first at Chepstow but under a comparatively quiet ride from Hughes he finished fourth behind the favourite Another Boy, he will no doubt improve for this outing. At Dundalk Birdcage, the 4/11 fav., was always in command and ran out an easy winner.

Today

Ayr 2.00

Ferryover's unlucky second on debut at Beverley makes him a strong candidate here but there appears to be quite a bit of support for the debutants; Ancient Astronaut, a colt by Kodiac out of a Selkirk mare, looks the most interesting.

Kempton 7.10

Rial's third behind Besharah at Ascot is probably the best form on view. Herridge (Hannon-trained) didn't show a lot behind Miss Moneypenny at Windsor but in all probability will improve for the run. I can find no inspiration in the breeding of the others.

Ancient Astronaut looks useful, EC.

it does...dead heat was a result really..thoughtferryover was beaten...

which is more than i can say for the going description at Lingfield Col..banked on it being good for the Godolphin one in the 2.30..it looks GS minumum

they called it Good last meeting and it looks way out again

Last edited:
Could be right about the ground EC1. Says on RP website connections of royal history reported he had breathing problem.

New Approaches are better on decent ground as well Jarv imo..though the breathing issue wouldn't help on it. i should know better than trust Lingfield..its always good ground..rarely seem to call it slower unless its bottomless

A dead-heat at Ayr yesterday, a very rare occurrence these days. Ferryover, the only runner with experience battling on to share the spoils with the running-on debutant, Ancient Astronaut, who made a very encouraging start to his career. Bit of a surprise at Kempton where Rial and Herridge looked to have the race between them a furlong out but Paul Cole's newcomer Pink Angel came with a late run to take the race close home.

Today

Ayr 1.50

Rogue's Gallery has got quite a lot of race experience with four close up places to his credit. The form figures 3222 does suggest he's lacking something but there was a lot to like about his latest run at Chester, not the best of draws and receiving a bump at the start but still managing to run a good second. Only three rivals here, all un-raced; Mecca's Missus by first season sire Lilbourne Lad makes most appeal.

Goodwood 2.10

Looks a tricky race. In Haste, currently favourite, doesn't make a great deal of appeal. Clive Cox (Bobby Wheeler) and Richard Hannon (War Whisper) are always to be respected in juvenile events but perhaps Captain Thunderbolt, a half-brother to Extortionist (a winner at Group 3 and Listed level), can improve for his debut fourth at Bath earlier in the month.

Sandown 5.55

First season sire Canford Cliffs has Katie Canford running for him here but the 50/1 available suggests she won't be winning today. Kassia, second to Besharah at Ascot is trading at a shade of odds-on at the moment and will be difficult to beat. A couple of un-raced ones that are worthy of mention are Justice Angel, a half-sister to to a Group 3 winner in Ireland but that was over 10f.!! on heavy ground!!, and Fataawy who should have made his debut at Ascot but had to be withdrawn when unruly at the start.

Nottingham 6.05

Another open event. The horses at the front of the market all making their debuts. Cool Silk Boy is a half-brother, by Big Bad Bob, to the very smart filly Tiggy Wiggy and is trained by James Given whose 2-y-os are in cracking form at the moment. He'll do for me.

At Ayr yesterday, Rogue's Gallery had no trouble justifying the strong market support and landing the odds of 1/3. In a very close finish at Goodwood, In Haste managed to hold the strong challenge of three newcomers. Noble Peace, who finished second, ran a race full of promiseand the Hannon duo that finished third (War Whisper) and fourth (George William) will also be winning races. The least said about my suggestion, Captainthunderbolt, the better. Kassia landed the odds at Sandown but only just, the Clive Cox debutant, Our Joy, finish strongly and only failing by a short-head. In the 6.05 at Nottingham Mark Johnston's First Party made a very professional debut, smartly away and making all to beat Sir Theodore, the second is a very rare 2-y-o runner from the Dave Morris yard and is capable of winning a race. The writing was on the wall for my selection, Cool Silk Boy, when he drifted from 9/2 to 6/1 and then swerved left at the start. Ah well!

Today

Goodwood 2.20

Two runners for first season sire Zoffany (Freddie Freeloader and Secret Tale) and one for Frozen Power (Powerful Dream). The last-named is a half-sister to the useful 7f. handicapper Corporal Maddox.The favourite for this is Nelspruit, second in a decent maiden at Newbury last week, will be hard to beat but trades at 4/9.

Haydock 2.30

The Godolphin horse Hibou makes a lot of appeals breeding but the Charlie Appleby 2-y-os have been needing their first run. FSS Poet's Voice has two runners here Nietzsche and Poet's Beauty, the former is preferred. In what looks an open event the once-raced (five lengths third to Gifted Master at Newmarket in April) Haughmond heads the market. A race to watch perhaps.

Bath 4.25

FSS Canford Cliffs (Thee And Me) and Dream Ahead (Dream Dreamer) have runners. The latter was impressive when winning at Windsor on Monday and is favourite at 10/11. that form looks good enough.

Cork 5.30

FSS Canford Cliffs (Most Beautiful) and Frozen Power (The Frozen Well) represented here. Most Beautiful was made favourite on debut at Naas and should improve on that fourth place but she has to turn the form around with China Eyes who finished just in front of her there. Promised Money is a half-sister to a number of decent winners and Last Waltz is also nicely bred.

There is also 7.30 at Ponte Col. interesting little race...i rate Taking Liberties as nearly as good as Ravenhoe best figure..2lb in it...TL has only had the one run so should beat R tonight i think especially the way it finished last time..6f will see in even better light would think

Glad someone's paying attention, EC!

Looks a very tricky event. Ravenhoe's form looks very strong. I agree with EC that Taking Libertys is going improve for the extra furlong but I was taken with Carrington's win at Chelmsford and am hoping that he will be even better over this stiff six furlongs.

Glad someone's paying attention, EC!

Looks a very tricky event. Ravenhoe's form looks very strong. I agree with EC that Taking Libertys is going improve for the extra furlong but I was taken with Carrington's win at Chelmsford and am hoping that he will be even better over this stiff six furlongs.

that newmarket mdn Carrington came from looked poor as i mentioned at the time..since then Carrington won as soon as i pooh poohed it:D..but two others have been beaten at short odds from it since then. Carrington looked a bit of a nutter at Chelmsford as well Col. The time at chelmsford looks about 20lb shy of what Ravenhoe + TL have shown too.

be an interesting test of the figures this one

Any thoughts on 2.30 Beverley? Looks tricky to split the front five. Whether First Selection's form will transfer from Southwell is anyone's guess. Quite like Lathom but put off by the fact that the stable runs two.

Interesting little race.

Back