The 2015 2-y-o thread.

Come on Colin that's not like you. What about Sanaadh at Newbury, his mummy wasn't bad, and there's Kodiacs and Zebeddees in the race who have to keep proving themselves.

Sorry to disappoint you, Eleanora.

Queen's Logic was good but her offspring haven't burnt up our racecourses.

Kodiac's are always worth a look or three but they can't all win, Zebedee still to really to prove himself.

If forced to have a bet in the Newbury race it would be on the Hannon horse Ring Of Truth.

Last edited:
That's better!
Wouldn't disagree 4 of the last 5 foals have been reasonable and all won as 2yos, and this will be her last foal. Last year's 2yo ran some fair races finally getting her head in front at Chester.
Kodiacs are better with a bit of give I think, though it all seemed the same to Tiggy Wiggy.

Harvard Man

Very good speed figure today..107....fastest 2yo this season up to press

the next 2 home were 4L clear of the rest..both can take a maiden shortly

Ring Of Truth
Sixth Sense

As reported by EC above good race at Newbury where Harvard Man held off the late challenge of Ring Of Truth.

At Dundalk, the Zoffany colt, Washington DC was weak in the market and was probably a touch green, bound to win races.

David Evans broke his 2-y-o duck for the season with the Approved filly Nag's Wag, form didn't look particularly strong.

Two races today and the favourites for both were second on their track debuts and are likely to start short-priced favourites today.

At Navan Bebhiinn, a Will Win selection put up by Mr. Slim Chance, was caught close home at the Curragh, this American-bred filly is 5/2 at the moment and that seems a reasonable price. The other one with a run to her name is La Tendresse, quite well bred but showed little on debut.

In the first at Nottingham 4.50, Raj To Riches is also available at 5/2 to follow up on his second at Windsor on Monday. As mentioned above the yard got off the mark at Bath last night with a 16/1 winner. The only other runner with experience is Sir Dudley, who disappointed in what appears to be a sub-standard Brocklesby. Of the un-raced ones Hannon's Gittan looks the most likely, he's by Kodiac the top 2-y-o sire.

Last edited:
I've backed Bebhinn at Navan - can see her going off a lot shorter than 2/1 and the better ground should help her today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bebhinn easily recovered the losses made on debut (hope you were on Slim) don't know what she beat but she beat them well.

At Nottingham the Brocklesby was at last given a boost when Sir Dudley took advantage of Raj To Riches running out of steam in the final furlong.

The only 2-y-o race today is at the Curragh where Zoffany (again trained by O'Brien) might well get off the mark, the opposition doesn't look that strong.

Bebhinn easily recovered the losses made on debut (hope you were on Slim) don't know what she beat but she beat them well.

At Nottingham the Brocklesby was at last given a boost when Sir Dudley took advantage of Raj To Riches running out of steam in the final furlong.

The only 2-y-o race today is at the Curragh where Zoffany (again trained by O'Brien) might well get off the mark, the opposition doesn't look that strong.

just looked at the race using the forecast prices and had decided that Waterloo Bridge might not be as suited to 5f than Mimicking will..thought would 2nd fav....went to betfair and Mimicking is fav..2.8 ish...its a bit short for me but i think it can beat WB at this test..

Three races today.

Pontefract 2.10
Poet's Voice has his first runner with Black Magic and Lilbourne Lad is represented by Racing Venture; Tawakkol trained by Mark Johnston who was fourth on debut at Kempton is a short price to win this.

Cork 4.45
First season sire Roderick O'Connor is represented by Mint Chai who might be good enough to win on debut against the two with experience of which Greyscape appears the better.

Windsor 4.55 and the biggest turn-out for a 2-y-o race so far this season.
Lone Angel, second in a 3-runner event at Chelmsford, is the only one with experience. There are some interesting newcomers from first-season sires including the first runner for Dick Turpin, Fable Of Arachne; there's also Great Page (Roderick O'Connor), Amberley Dancer (Lilbourne Lad) and Secret Tale (Zoffany). Kodiac has also got two in the field Alaskan Phantom and The Burnham Mare. Much too difficult to pick the winner here.

A nice maiden at Cork.
The winner and runner up are certainly smart doing a good time.
P Smullen of the opinion that there is more to come from the winner; I may have been a year too soon with my idea Alfred Nobel might make a sire of 2 yos if this fellow ( a 5000 yearling) is anything to go by.Trainer Adrian Keatley a name to remember.
The Roderic o Connor is a nice horse, bigger than his sire i would say and finished very well.

Two first-season-sires got off the mark yesterday. Poet's Voice scoring with his first runner, Black Magic at Pontefract, making all and Roderic O'Connor having the winner of the first at Windsor, winning in good style. Roderic O'Connor also went close at Cork where Mint Chai, due to greeness, just failed to get up to the winner An Duine Uasal.

Just the one race today, Brighton 4.40.

Call me a softie but if I had a 2-y-o I wouldn't be running it at Brighton on Good to Firm ground, it can't be good for their immature joints.

Obviously there are "braver" owners than me about as six turn out for this event. Three have had a run and I suspect that Jet Setting and Taexali will fight out the finish. Good luck to all the babies and I hope that they all finish sound.

Last edited:
Two events today.

Beverley 1.55

Arranmore Girl was running at the finish here last week, trainer not known for producing 2-y-o winners.

First season sire Frozen Power has Rockfield Last running for him here, dam has produced decent animals but again Giles Bravery isn't the first name that comes to mind for early season 2-y-o winners.

Bath 5.55

The Hannon colt Ower Fly likely to start favourite for this at a satisfactory second on debut at Lingfield.

Port Gaverne is at more of a working-man's price and showed enough on debut at Windsor last week that he might be up to taking a race such as this but again Marcus Tregoning isn't an early season 2-y-o trainer.

Missed the Tipperary 5.15 race where Washington D.C. will be a short price to improve one place on his debut and give Zoffany his first winner.

I have a feeling it won't be so straightforward for WDC once again. WDC was 7/4 in his first race and got beat by a 25/1 shot. Dermot Weld and Pat Smullen are the in-form combo and their runner Hoppala was not strongly fancied when giving a 3rd place debut at 7/1, only 2 1/2 lengths behind the Godolphin winner Mimicking for Jim Bolger.

With the Weld stable form behind him and Pat Smullen's assistance my gut feeling would be Hoppala will improve considerably and may just hold WDC - even with him expected to improve, too.

With the Weld stable form behind him and Pat Smullen's assistance my gut feeling would be Hoppala will improve considerably and may just hold WDC - even with him expected to improve, too.

Disappointing run by Hoppala, no improvement from debut. Quite a bit of money for WDC on the track. I guess AOB must have had a nice comparison of what to expect today, his Waterloo Bridge was a couple of lengths behind Hoppala in her debut race.

PaceBets re-opened the market for First Season Champion Sire after they took it off a couple of weeks ago - some interesting moves.

Zoffany 2/1 (from 5/2)
Canford Cliffs 5/2 (from 7/4)
Lilbourne Lad 7/2 (from 5/2)
Poet's Voice 4/1 (from 6/1)
Dream Ahead 11/2 (from 4/1)
Roderic O'Connor 6/1 (from 16/1)
Frozen Power 11/1 (from 10/1)
Pour Moi 20/1 (from 16/1)
Dick Turpin 66/1 (from 50/1)

Last edited:
All rather straightforward yesterday.

Rather unnecessary show-boating by Joseph but Washington DC very convincingly provided Zoffany with his first winner.

At Beverley Arranmore Girl made all and confirmed earlier course promise and at Bath Ower Fly made all to win at what I thought were the generous price of 5/2.

No 2-y-o action today.

Three races to consider today.

Leicester 1.55

Of those that have run I think Bukle might reverse the Bath form with Rogue's Gallery (had the advantage of a previous run there) and Rod Millman's Approve colt showed some ability on debut. Of the un-raced participants there seems to be a lot of confidence behind the Clive Cox/ Adam Kirby combination on Soapy Aitken, his dam has produced a number of speedy 2-y-os.

Ripon 2.15

First Bombardment his having his third run and the form figures 22 might tell a story. The Ann Duffield trained Risk Adjusted put in a promising first effort and could go one better here. Of the horses without experience the one's that stand out are the Kodiac filly, Lady Argentum, and Imshi's Little Bro, a son of first season sire Lilbourne Lad.

Doncaster 6.30

Twisting Hay, trained by Mark Johnston, is the only one with previous, a second to Gin In The Inn at Leicester when made the 2/1 fav. That looks decent enough form, of the others I'm interested in Gorokai, a colt by Kodiac and Point Of Woods, a son of Showcasing who had an excellent record with his babies last season.

Soapy Aitken justified the support with a workmanlike win at Leicester, Excessable quite impressive on debut at Ripon and the appropriately named Gallipoli (perversley pronounced as Gally-Polly by Lee Mackenzie) scrambled home at Doncaster.

Two first season sires with a runner in today's only 2-y-o race Chelmsford 2.10 Dick Turpin has Highway Dream and Lilbourne Lad has Abberley Dancer but Sakhee's Jem looked to run a decent race even though well beaten by Kurland at Newmarket. That form looks good enough to take this.

Two first season sires with a runner in today's only 2-y-o race Chelmsford 2.10 Dick Turpin has Highway Dream and Lilbourne Lad has Abberley Dancer but Sakhee's Jem looked to run a decent race even though well beaten by Kurland at Newmarket. That form looks good enough to take this.

that Newmarket form makes Sakhee's Jem something of a good thing here off 8.6..the winner Kurland ran a marked up speed figure of 92 at Newmarket...i can't see any of these being near that level and most of them are giving weight to SJ..should be odds on

Zoffany 2/1 (from 5/2)
Canford Cliffs 5/2 (from 7/4)
Lilbourne Lad 7/2 (from 5/2)
Poet's Voice 4/1 (from 6/1)
Dream Ahead 11/2 (from 4/1)
Roderic O'Connor 6/1 (from 16/1)
Frozen Power 11/1 (from 10/1)
Pour Moi 20/1 (from 16/1)
Dick Turpin 66/1 (from 50/1)

Of the above odds two have changed after today's races with another winner for Lilbourne Lad.

Canford Cliff 11/4 ( from 5/2 )
Lilbourne Lad 3/1 ( from 7/2 )

Sakhee's Jem unable to confirm the Newmarket form, probably went too quickly early on, run down by Abberley Dancer (a winner for first-season-sire Lilbourne Lad) and Angel Of The Night (nice debut).

Busiest day so far with four races.

Southwell 3.10

Looks a poor event; the only one to have raced Luvly, a rather distant third at this track earlier in the month, of the un-raced Reflektor appeals most to me.

Naas 5.10

The first six furlong race of the season. Of those with form Chasing Tomorrow looks best. Zoffany has a newcomer, Argentero, but I would take a chance on Munshid (Dutch Art out of Lightwood Lady) the dam has produced three decent winners.

Windsor 5.30

The only one with a run is Sparky Jack who blew his chance (40/1) at Newbury by going left at the start, should improve for that. Poet's Voice has Bathos running for him and another first season sire, Dream Ahead, is represented by Dream Dreamer. Charlie Hills seems to have a strong hand here with High Speed (Buick) and Shanghai Glory (Ryan Moore).

Naas 6.40

Two first season sires with runners here Elusive Pimpernel (Bracklin Princess) and Canford Cliffs (Most Beautiful), the former has had a run but showed nothing at Cork. The O'Brien-trained Dancing On Air could run well.

Back