The 2015 2-y-o thread.

Just looked at the Hilary Needler as well. Why is it no longer a listed race? Anyway Easton Angel looks smart and 11/4 seems fair enough to me.

In the first at Goodwood yesterday Nelspruit landed the odds but not in a way you would expect from a 4/11 shot. I don't think there was a great deal in behind.
At Haydock Aleko was another winning debutant from Mark Johnston's yard. J. Spencer did his usual act on Charlie Hills' newcomer, Menai, strangled to the back of the field and then bringing him late with a promising run. Nietzsche is another who'll be winning soon.
Dream Dreamer was extremely disappointing at Bath. Quickly away and trying to make all but folding when challenged two out, too soon after Windsor and too much pace perhaps! The race was won by the unconsidered (by me at least) French Encore, an already gelded son of Showcasing.
At Cork, the morning favourite was withdrawn when it was found she was 'in season'. China Eyes, the new favourite, disappointed in fifth. The winner, Promised Money, improved great deal on her recent debut and kept on well to take this.
An informative race at Pontefract where Taking Libertys (EC's choice) stayed on just the better to just take the race in front of Carrington (my choice). Am I bitter!?!?!?

Today

Curragh 1.40

A classy looking affair to start the day off. A.P.O'Brien has three runners with the un-raced Ballydoyle heading the market at 11/10. First Season Sire Lilbourne Lad has a runner with Spinamiss who wouldn't be without a chance. Others that appeal from a breeding viewpoint are Miss Katie Mae, Mrs. King and the least fancied from the Ballydoyle yard, Dancing On Air.

Catterick 2.25

First Bombardment beaten three times when fancied has a good opportunity to break his duck in this. Very difficult to find a worthy alternative.

Beverley 2.40

Looks very competitive with six of the seven runners having won a race. Holes can probably picked in his form but I was taken with Furiant's win at Musselburgh. That should stem the flow of winners from the Mark Johnston yard.

Beverley 3.15

Canford Cliffs, a FSS, is represented by Holy Grail in this and I give her a very strong chance (sorry Mr. Fahey!), she was well supported when making a winning debut at Ripon. Arranger Girl, having her third run at Beverley, might run into a place.

Goodwood 3.30

Canford Cliffs doubly represented by Canford Star, a debutante, and Bournemouth Belle the short-priced favourite. A debut third at Windsor and being trained by Richard Hannon gives her a big chance. It might be worth keeping an eye on the run of Pop Culture, she is a half-sister to a couple of decent animals.

Salisbury 6.05

Kyllukey was 33/1 on his run at Ascot and was given a typical Spencer non-trier's ride, dropped out last and then keeping on but not threatening the placed horses. The fact that he trades at 10/11 at the moment suggests that Steve Drowne will be giving the horse a different sort of ride today.

Just looked at the Hilary Needler as well. Why is it no longer a listed race? Anyway Easton Angel looks smart and 11/4 seems fair enough to me.

New Road Side 83..but thats probably as good as she is .........kept under wraps on 80+ ..easton angel 75+...arranmore girl 72+

but the one i like is Company Asset..[77+].....his one is better horse than Delizia who beat her at wolves...after adding lbs for sectional mark up ...delizia was favoured there by pace..CA wasn't......Delizia then won at York...so you could say that Company Asset is better than a listed winner..which makes her good value here at 7.8.

Last edited:
At Haydock Aleko was another winning debutant from Mark Johnston's yard. J. Spencer did his usual act on Charlie Hills' newcomer, Menai, strangled to the back of the field and then bringing him late with a promising run.

Went there, had backed the Johnston winner in the first at a tasty price and was all for backing Aleko, best looking and imposing sized horse, however just played up a bit in the paddock so I switched to Menai - right up there with the pace at 2f on softish going, knows he has to beat a powerful johnston horse and so he f***ing drops back 6 lengths - late run, only chaser lo and behold get's beat by 2 lengths - prick !

For some reason I overlooked the 2.15 at the Curragh yesterday?! Round Two the comfortable winner of that race laid claims to be the best of the Irish 2-y-os to date. In the opener at that course Miss Katie Mae ran out the comfortable winner and there was a good run from Lilbourne Lad debutante Spinamiss, second at 50/1.
Easton Angel created a very good impression when winning the fillies race at Beverley, could well be an Ascot runner.
At Goodwood Bournemouth Belle was a nice winner for Canford Cliffs.

Today

Curragh 1.40

First season sires Canford Cliffs (Painted Cliffs) and Zoffany (Stamp Hill) have runners. In a competitive field Tribal Beat has strong claims. Others to be considered; Airforce Blue, Trenchtown Rock and Munshid.

Latest table for First Season Sires:

[TABLE="class: grid right, width: 607"]
<tbody>[TR="class: rowSorting"]
[TH="class: first left, align: left"]STALLION[/TH]
[TH="colspan: 2"]WINNERS–RUNNERS[/TH]
[TH]WINS[/TH]
[TH]RUNS[/TH]
[TH]2ND[/TH]
[TH]3RD[/TH]
[TH]4TH[/TH]
[TH]WIN PRIZE[/TH]
[TH="class: last"]TOTAL PRIZE[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: first left black, align: left"]Zoffany[/TD]
[TD]3–13[/TD]
[TD]23%[/TD]
[TD]3[/TD]
[TD]18[/TD]
[TD]6[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]3[/TD]
[TD]£22,628[/TD]
[TD="class: last"]£40,848[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: first left black, align: left"]Lilbourne Lad[/TD]
[TD]3–17[/TD]
[TD]18%[/TD]
[TD]3[/TD]
[TD]29[/TD]
[TD]9[/TD]
[TD]2[/TD]
[TD]3[/TD]
[TD]£10,674[/TD]
[TD="class: last"]£28,881[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: first left black, align: left"]Canford Cliffs[/TD]
[TD]3–13[/TD]
[TD]23%[/TD]
[TD]3[/TD]
[TD]21[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]4[/TD]
[TD]3[/TD]
[TD]£11,644[/TD]
[TD="class: last"]£16,511[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: first left black, align: left"]Roderic O'Connor[/TD]
[TD]1–2[/TD]
[TD]50%[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]4[/TD]
[TD]3[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]£2,911[/TD]
[TD="class: last"]£9,370[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: first left black, align: left"]Poet's Voice[/TD]
[TD]1–7[/TD]
[TD]14%[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]9[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]3[/TD]
[TD]£3,235[/TD]
[TD="class: last"]£4,648[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: first left black, align: left"]Dream Ahead[/TD]
[TD]1–2[/TD]
[TD]50%[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]6[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]3[/TD]
[TD]£3,235[/TD]
[TD="class: last"]£4,197[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: first left black, align: left"]Frozen Power[/TD]
[TD]1–7[/TD]
[TD]14%[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]8[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]2[/TD]
[TD]£2,386[/TD]
[TD="class: last"]£2,819[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: first left black, align: left"]Soul City[/TD]
[TD]1–1[/TD]
[TD]100%[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]2[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]£2,264[/TD]
[TD="class: last"]£2,481[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: first left black, align: left"]Atlantic Sport[/TD]
[TD]0–2[/TD]
[TD]—[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]3[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]2[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]£0[/TD]
[TD="class: last"]£1,005[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: first left black, align: left"]Shakespearean[/TD]
[TD]0–1[/TD]
[TD]—[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]£0[/TD]
[TD="class: last"]£705[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: first left black, align: left"]Dick Turpin[/TD]
[TD]0–5[/TD]
[TD]—[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]6[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]£0[/TD]
[TD="class: last"]£593[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: first left black, align: left"]Elusive Pimpernel[/TD]
[TD]0–2[/TD]
[TD]—[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]4[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]£0[/TD]
[TD="class: last"]£481[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: first left black, align: left"]Wootton Bassett[/TD]
[TD]0–1[/TD]
[TD]—[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]£0[/TD]
[TD="class: last"]£0[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: first left black, align: left"]Cape Blanco[/TD]
[TD]0–2[/TD]
[TD]—[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]2[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]£0[/TD]
[TD="class: last"]£0
[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Last edited:
In the only 2-y-o race yesterday Tribal Beat was dreadfully disappointing, just missed the break but never looked like taking a part, something wrong shirley?! The winner Air Force Blue looked ready for this, his debut, smartly away, soon in command and clear until tiring?? close home. Rockaway Valley made a very promising debut in second place.

Today

Carlisle 1.30

Roll On Rory was an unlucky second on debut at Doncaster in April and looks the obvious form choice. There are three first season sires involved here; Frozen Power (Freeze Style), Elusive Pimpernel (Burning Shadow) and Poet's Voice (Midnight Malibu), the first-named is a half-brother to a number of decent winners. Sign Of The Kodiac is a brother to Vector Force (RPR 98) and is one to keep an eye on.

Leicester 4.25

Pacches' second to Miss Moneypenny looks to have the best chance on form but there was a lot to like about Cabana Sand's debut behind Vallance Road. Meghwar and York Minster could also improve on what they have shown. Perhaps a race best left alone.

Redcar 2.10

FSS Dick Turpin has Turpintina running for him, doesn't have an obvious chance. Pippin Street, second on debut behind stablemate Holy Grail (beaten on Saturday but didn't have the luckiest of runs) and Halsall who was disappointing when favourite and well beaten last time. Pippin Street looks the better bet.

Windsor 12.45

FSS Elusive Pimpernel (Premier Currency) and Roderic O'Connor (Arctic Flower) have runners, neither appeals. The race is a bit of a guessing game with not a lot of racecourse evidence to go on and of the un-raced I could only find Custodial of any interest, she being a half-sister to three decent winners.

Leicester 4.25

Pacches' second to Miss Moneypenny looks to have the best chance on form but there was a lot to like about Cabana Sand's debut behind Vallance Road. Meghwar and York Minster could also improve on what they have shown. Perhaps a race best left alone.

Pacches looks a bit of a good thing..its ran in the best figure race and will improve as sire and trainer not great with FTO hosses..even without improvement the others that have run need to improve a lot to beat it..Hannon's will need to be a mid 80's horse on debut and it doesn't look one of the stable stars to me.

An unremarkable day of 2-y-o racing except for a couple of disappointing efforts by favourites. Patches ran well below form at Leicester and Pippin Street doing the same at Redcar, where Halsall, a beaten short-priced favourite at Musselburgh, returned to form.

Today

Lingfield 2.10

Runners for first season sires Poet's Voice (Ae Fananah) and Lilbourne Lad (Olivia Pope). With very little worthwhile form to refer to I'll just mention a couple of the debutants. Kashtan is a sister to Pool House a winning 6/7f. handicapper and the expensively purchased, Tutu Nguru is a half-sister to Keening a graded animal in the US.

Redcar 2.20

In an open race it is difficult to get excited by those that have run. Of the others, David's Duchess is related to some decent animals and Whispering Soul is a half-sister to numerous winners.

Leicester 3.00

Little Voice, given a Spencer special at Windsor, heads the market. Jersey Breeze was unlucky in running on debut at Salisbury. Stroke Of Midnight is another who had an unlucky run on debut and will surely improve for that run. First season sire Poet's Voice is represented by Very Honest. Another that should be mentioned is Tulip Dress, a half-sister to Snoano a good 2-y-o for John Gosden last year and third in this year's Derby trial at Sandown.

Leicester 5.00

Rockliff probably the form horse based on a rather distant third at Newbury (second has won since). Siren's Army is by Twirling Candy who I think is a first season sire. Frozen Power, who I know is a FSS, is represented by War Department. Another who should run OK is King's Pavilion, he's from a nice family his dam having won the Cheveley Park.

Leicester 5.30

With little form to go on I'm just going to mention a few that are of interest. Lagenda is by FSS Dick Turpin, no great hopes for this one. Another FSS Cape Blanco has MUnira Eyes running for him, this one's had a run and could well improve. Shah bar is a half-brother to a Listed and Group 2 winner. To complete the mix I am going to throw in Gold Medallion and Kafoo.

Overall still rather quiet regarding FSS wins this season - after Canford Cliffs has moved up to 3 wins too it looks to me those 3 FSS's can hold the others at arm's length over the season. I'd be surprised if any other FSS will stay in touch at the end of the season with a less than 10-15 wins gap to the new champion.

Here are the latest Racebets odds after they reopened the market yesterday - PaddyPower has not re-joined the market and still there are no other major bookies on offer:

Zoffany 8/11
Canford Cliffs 2/1 (from 5/2)
Lilbourne Lad 3/1
Dream Ahead 6/1 (from 7/1)
Roderic O'Connor 7/1 (from 6/1)
Poet's Voice 10/1 (from 5/1)
Frozen Power 14/1 (from 11/1)
Pour Moi 25/1 (from 20/1)
Dick Turpin 100/1 (from 50/1)

Let's hope for some nice offspring of those nine or others . Ivawood did proud for Zebedee, so there must be some very nice ones in wait this season that can emulate or better Ivawood in the forthcoming weeks. Ivawood started off on a Friday 13th last year in June - no bad omen for him though ...

In the Leicester 3.00 yesterday the Hannon outsider Mermaid (25/1) ran on promisingly. Later on, in the first division of the maiden, War Department, a son of first season sire Frozen Power pulled away inside the final furlong for an impressive victory. The first at Lingfield was probably not a great race but Tutu N'Guru overcame greenness to win nicely. Again the first at Redcar wasn't the most competitive of events but there was a lot to like about the winning debut of Katie's Diamond, going clear inside final furlong. From the TV pictures she looked a touch leggy but quite big and scope, not totally convinced by her head carriage though.

Today

Hamilton 2.10

First season sires Roderick O'Connor (My Brother) and Frozen Power (Ressurreto) have runners. The former is a half-brother to two multiple winners and three other decent horses, the latter a half-sister to Maid In Rio a good staying handicapper last year for Mark Johnston. The best form on show is probably that of Island Flame with a close-up third and fourth to her name. At the moment London Protocol heads the market presumably on the strength of a promising debut at Redcar where he was a strong-finishing third to Mon Beau Visage. Although Satin Chic was a long way back in fourth on debut behind Holy Grail at Ripon I was quite taken with her effort and hoping for improvement today.

Last edited:
Sire in form.

Dark Angel 2-y-os in the last 28 days

8 winner from 18 runners that's an A/E of 2.47 and a profit of 161.3%

Thanks to the flatstats site for the information.

I reckon the race Island Flame was 4th in at Newmarket was a decent race - the winner is Ascot-bound according to the trainer. I'm playing each way at 7/2.

In the only 2-y-o race of the day yesterday, the Hamilton 2.10, Satin Chic benefitted greatly from her Ripon debut, making on and holding off the challenge of the favourite London Prorocol.

Today

Haydock 2.20

First season sire Poet's Voice has a runner with Divaesque who showed nothing on debut. Saturn Lace showed some promise on her first run when third to Richter Scale at Thirsk and heads the market. Ashadihan may be best of the debutantes.

Haydock 2.50

Dream Ahead (Haley Bop) and Lilbourne Lad (Hyland Heather) are the first season sires represented. Highland Heather almost overcame the greenness she showed when swerving right out of the stalls, on debut at Ripon, to finish second to French (who hasn't franked the form) and in front of Richter Scale (who has). She is second choice in the market to Ring Of Truth (Hannon/Hughes) who was beaten a short-head by Harvard Man at Newbury on debut. Harvard Man rather let the form down in his second run at Newbury but that was a warm event. Stars N Angels, who is available at 50/1, finished last at Newmarket on her first effort but she is nicely bred, a half-sister to Appleberry who won a Class 2 Conditions race over 5 furlongs at Hamilton earlier this month.

Haydock 3.20

Three FSS with runners; Dream Ahead (Candelas), Wootton Bassett (Clive Clifton) and Dick Turpin (The Knave). Clive Clifton was a distant fifth at Doncaster first time out and Candelas, a half-brother to Silverheels, placed in a Group 2 as a 2-y-o, and two other useful animals, looks the better of the other two. Eltezam (Hannon/Dettori) trades at 4/7 and his third in a Class 2 race at Newbury on debut looks much the best form.

Lingfield 4.30

Two FSS with runners Lilbourne Ladf (Bourne Symphony) and Dick Turpin with two (Highway Dream & Lady Katherine) I'm not enthused about their chances. Rampers just holds favouritism at the moment but of those with form Pinch A Kiss and Poldark hold more appeal. The latter looking like a certain future winner when fourth at Chepstow on debut. Of the un-raced Threebagsue, a half-sister to a handful of useful animals, looks worth keeping an eye on.

Fairyhouse 5.50

Roderic O'Connor (Mint Chai) and Zoffany (Miss Phillyjinks) have runners. Mint Chai, the 6/4 favourite, has decent form but he seems to be developing the habit of finishing second to horses with unpronounceable names. Miss Phillyjinks was a well-beaten second to Birdcage on debut at Dundalk but that could be decent form.

Sandown 6.35

This looks very competitive and too difficult for me to sort out, perhaps our time and form gurus would like to express an opinion.

Cheers for your efforts Colin, a really good thread. I've gone for a speculative each way on Stars N Angels. As you say, nicely bread, both Sire and Dam have winners recently although possibly minimum trip might suit better looking at both? Plus Appleby is a decent trainer.

Thanks

nice one Col:cool:

National stakes

AREEN 101+
STEADY PACE 101+
KING OF ROOKS 92
BURATINO 92
SILVER WINGS 87
CASE KEY 85+

Its very hard to get away from Steady Pace seeing as how he beat Beaverbrook further than Birchwood did..i rate Birchwood as possibly the best 2yo seen yet..i think Beaverbrook did improve though behind Birchwood so taking the from line as AvB is misleading..the speed figures tell more.

Areen
is clearly very smart and is 6/1 against 9/4 for Steady Pace..so value wise Areen would be the pick...but i don't like Ryan's record at Sandown...its 0/39

Hannon has a great record here..but figures wise King Of Rooks looks short of the best here even after two runs..the Newbury win was poorish on overall time and sectionals and one has run since and been beaten further than by KOR there.

I think STEADY PACE will take this... and Areen won't be far away

Areen lost it at the start and Steady pace got no cover in the middle of the track..good ride on the winner though by Hughes who just got the rail and didn't mess about at all

Back