The 2022 Longshot Thread

I backed him in the MP and thought he ran pretty much his race. I've abandoned him today but maybe some sickness insurance is in order.

I think he used up a lot of fuel trying to get back into it after being hampered in the Pipe, DO. Suspect I'm playing for the place-money only, but I do like that Lanzarote form.

Health Warning: I couldn't have won in a walkover yesterday.

2.55 - Fury Road 20/1, 2 pl - Betfred is being fairly sporting about offering 2 places in a four-runner field. I have this race very close between all four and wasn't going to have a bet but I wouldn't have Fury Road at 20/1 let alone with the second-place offer. It wouldn't take cojones the size of cannonballs to punt it outright at 22/1.

2.55 - Fury Road 20/1, 2 pl - Betfred is being fairly sporting about offering 2 places in a four-runner field. I have this race very close between all four and wasn't going to have a bet but I wouldn't have Fury Road at 20/1 let alone with the second-place offer. It wouldn't take cojones the size of cannonballs to punt it outright at 22/1.

Job done.

3.30 Paint The Dream 25/1, 4 pl - Doesn't really have it on the ratings but, for me, was visually very impressive last time and the extra place is the deciding factor in nominating it. If one or more of the favourites don't run their race - always possible at this meeting - he could have a shout.

Fourth. Job done.

Topham - Francky Du Berlais 40/1 - I haven't backed it yet. I thought I'd put it up for now in the hope that Roddy might be able to let us know if the plan is to run. The horse is seriously well handicapped right now. He went up to 149 for winning a good summer race at Market Rasen (gd) but is back down to 135 following a string of disappointing efforts, including one over this CD behind Mac Tottie. Has good Haydock form (sft) and the trainer tends to target this race. Handicapped to make the cut too.

I backed it next day at 35/1 so job done again.

Aintree 4.15

Grumpy Charley never ran his best race at all the last day at the Cheltenham Festival. Before that he did little wrong over fences when winning first time out and then a respectable 6 lengths behind an in form Bravemansgame. I reckon this fella can put his best foot forward tomorrow now dropped a couple pounds as well and so worth a go each way.

Last edited:
1.45 J'Ai Froid 28/1, 7 places - top on my figures so no way should I let him go unbacked!

Last edited:
4.15 Aintree
Exelerator Express 40/1 hasn’t run for 6 months but perhaps worth a small interest in the hope he’s been freshened up by the break. He looked like one to watch on his wins last summer and he’s won on soft (admittedly in weak races)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lord Schnitzel 40s in the Foxhunters. Mixed it with good types as a novice chaser. Looked a likely one for a good handicap but never happened. 9yo sweetened up. Doing well in ptps and won his hunter chase in Limerick. Should be a 14s shot ish. Paddys 20s is closer to the mark.

Runs over 2m 5f tomorrow at traore.7/2

Spring Cup - Trais Flours 25/1 - went up to 100 for winning a decent race early last summer and wasn't beaten too far in the Hunt Cup but his mark has come right down to 88 and is the Lincoln-winning trainer's only runner. I've no idea if the plan is to run but the horse would have the winning of this on his best run of last season.

Mykonos st John 400 L friday 25/1
Clear leader in Lincoln trial at Wolverhampton before disappointing at doncaster. 33000 race on friday.

Mykonos st John 400 L friday 25/1
Clear leader in Lincoln trial at Wolverhampton before disappointing at doncaster. 33000 race on friday.

Orbaan 20/1 spring cup cliff horse

FRONTAL ASSAULT irish national 33/1 7 yr old low weight and by Presenting which is a positive.

Musselburgh 3.14 - Haliphon 28/1 - I mentioned Zero Ten elsewhere but this one looks a value outsider for his shrewd trainer. A French import, the horse looks on a curve for the new yard and the trainer is always worth watching in races of this nature.

Newbury Spring Cup - Cu Chulainn 40/1, 6 places - was only 14/1 for a race dominated by horses rated well into the 100s when last seen. I suspect this is a prep for the good 9f handicap at the Guineas meeting but he might need to get up the weights to get into it. This is his first run since a wind op.

One more longshot for the Spring Cup - Oh This Is Us 40/1 - hit form last spring and his OR went up to 112 so could be chucked in off 96 here if the return to turf can spark a revival of some sort.

If Ed Walker has got Caradoc back - he says he looks magnificent (although he is generally wont to describe his geese as swans) and he gets a 9lb swing with Migration for a 2 length beating - 22/1 in same race.

Last edited:
Back