The 2022 Longshot Thread

Saturday - Kempton 3.37 (FFS) - Kitty's Light 25/1, 5 places - very unlucky not to win the Whitbread off 139, he went up to 149 after his reappearance run this season but a few moderate runs see him back down on 140 here. My gut says the plan is a repeat bid for the Whitbread but I can't let him go unbacked with this level of money on offer and Brian Hughes booked.

Pertemps Final - Bells Of Peterboro 66/1 NRNB - I'm seriously thinking this might be a candidate for the 'should be odds on' thread on Saturday (currently 11/2) as it needs to win. I put it up as a good thing before and it didn't run its race but I've no doubt in its previous win. Might not make the cut but will have place prospects at worst if my figure for it is correct.

Kempton 1.50 - Rubaud 20/1, 4 places - the drift appears to have stopped and there's a bit of blue about him this morning. Keeping the faith...

Saturday - Kempton 3.37 (FFS) - Kitty's Light 25/1, 5 places - very unlucky not to win the Whitbread off 139, he went up to 149 after his reappearance run this season but a few moderate runs see him back down on 140 here. My gut says the plan is a repeat bid for the Whitbread but I can't let him go unbacked with this level of money on offer and Brian Hughes booked.

Fine run and went in again at 28s this morning in the 4-place market. Covered the day's longshot punts anyway.

Kim Muir.
SECRET REPRIEVE 20/1 a race the ptp fraternity and farmers like and many years ago Evan William's plotted one out for this (imo) and it won at 16/1.(happy days).and I think this one could be similiar.
Its last run was diabolical and wasnt off a tap.
Has he really regressed?or has he got an excuse ?

DANS LE VENT 33/1 coral cup nrnb
DANS LE VENT 25/1 m.pipe nrnb

I know DO likes Isobel William's but for me she doesnt be able to judge the pace of a race,but maybe the m.pipe has been a long time plan to give her a Cheltenham festival winner.
If you look back through its form its ran well over 2m,2m4f and 3m.all distance seems the same to it.
She always gives it too much to do.
In last years coral cup,take out the easy winner,the fantastic 33/1 Heaven help us,then she wasnt beaten far.
I must say Heaven help us 20/1 could win again but it depends on what the hcapper gives it and if it has a claimer on again.
It looks like it could be 8lb worse off or 15 without the claimer.

I know DO likes Isobel William's

I liked the ride she gave DLV when it ran out of its class in a graded race and I don't see her as a negative but that's about as strongly as I would put it.

(She's yet to turn up at my door with her knickers in her pocket...)

EMPIRE STEEL ultima 25/1 even though it went up for winning I still think it will run well.as a novice it beat Protekorat 41L.

Grand National - Cloth Cap 40/1, 5pl - has been very disappointing this season so the price is entirely understandable. However, he was 11/2f for the race last season when 8lbs well in off 148 and those disappointments have seen his mark drop from 162, to which he was raised after that Kelso romp, back down to 147.

There's been no shortage of debate on here about whether that 162 was merited but it still allows for everything else in that race running below form. The mark was later revised down to 156 so 147 still looks lenient.

He wouldn't be the first horse to put disappointing runs behind him in this race. Some of my most satisfying winners have had disappointing runs of form to forgive: Ben Nevis, Last Suspect, even Rule The World. And plenty other such types have won: Royal Athlete, Mon Mome, etc.

Factor in the Trevor Hemmings colours which once-a-year punters will latch on to and there's no way the horse goes off at 40s. They operated on his wind after he disappointed in the race last year and his poor form so far this year hasn't really surprised me. I imagine there will be a feeling of unfinished business with the race. He'll get in around the 10-5 mark, an ideal weight, and will almost certainly be top-rated across all ratings firms on the pick of last season's form.

He's looked like a non-stayer, I accept, but that's a look that's easy to arrange if you've got your eyes on a bigger prize. It's a punt I'm comfortable enough with and, who knows, once the weights are out he might just run well in something like the Ultima or back at Kelso.

I've gone in again at 33/1 (5pl) ahead today's Grimthorpe, which he'd skoosh on his best form, in which case he'll be 12/1.

Last edited:
As Len says about the Greatwood form working out well I've done BUA BOY for the county after its schooling session at Leopardstown today.it couldnt beat Whisky Sour at the weights today and sauntered round for 3rd.so drifted out to 40/1 boosted to 45/1 with betfair.

Cloth Cap has been laid out for the National all season, the Scottish. He clearly didn't stay at Aintree last year when tanking along until his stamina ran out. should drop another 2Lb for that schooling session!

Last edited:
Cloth Cap has been laid out for the National all season, the Scottish. He clearly didn't stay at Aintree last year when tanking along until his stamina ran out. should drop another 2Lb for that schooling session!

As I recall, you are/were a big Cloth Cap fan going into last season's National, Maxbet. He was diagnosed with a wind issue after the race and operated on. I'm honestly not convinced he didn't stay and am prepared to give him another go but not as my main fancy.

I feel a wee bit different about Burrows Saint, which I also backed last year. Townend said at the start of the season that he went from 'how far' to nothing in a few strides. He didn't appear to be too keen through the race so I'm inclined to believe him. I'm genuinely surprised they're talking about the National again.

I think it was Patrick on Burrows Saint in last year’s Nash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back