The 2022 'Should be odds-on' Thread

It just looked to me like he was going slow and the others were letting him until Cobden moved to within a length or so. Even then, the others seemed very content to lay off him, and they looked still on the bridle. To me, that allowed his basic speed to kick in over the last six furlongs and they couldn't get near him.

Id say that's completely wrong. Horses like Minella Indo, Janidil and Galvin were under pressure a mile from home. Others were going as quick as they could - without any guns being put to their heads 1.5m from home. Clan was actively out there to pressurise and both Allaho and Clan finished very slowly. As Townend said "I didnt dare look around me after the last"....there was nothing left.

Allaho wasn't the horse Minella Indo was earlier in his career. HdB isn't elite and yes I have had a bad day. Punchestown and my betting don't get on.

I think Aintree and Punchestown are two of a kind.

You have horses like Allaho who shake off Cheltenham like it never happened and run to form but others simply don't recover in time and run like drains,

Unfortunately doing a 7 furlong gallop at home can't really tell the trainer what he needs to know..

Many go over the top and it doesn't show up a horse like until they actually run them. Journey is probably a classic example of that..

Id say that's completely wrong. Horses like Minella Indo, Janidil and Galvin were under pressure a mile from home. Others were going as quick as they could - without any guns being put to their heads 1.5m from home. Clan was actively out there to pressurise and both Allaho and Clan finished very slowly. As Townend said "I didnt dare look around me after the last"....there was nothing left.

Totally agree. I needed CDO to be in the first 4 or it would have cost me plenty and it was clear Allaho was always going the better.
So I was watching the rest of the field and at no time did I think they were going to get to the front 2 from along way out.

Surely Surely Surely Epatante should be 1/2 for the Mares Hurdle?

If my luck is in and Fighter Allen wins today I'll be doing my best to make sure Epatante does start odds on:lol:

Already had 3 figures on her at 6/4 but she's still value at 5/4

She'll have to run a stone below her best to lose IMO

Goodwood 2.40 - Primo Bacio 11/4 - I'm loath to punt in fillies-only races at the best of times but this one is 14lbs clear on ORs compared with other 4yo+ in the race and 8lbs ahead of the 3yos. 11/4?? Yes, please.

Last edited:
I thought she was going to run away with it three out but she wouldn't have found anything there even with a prayer to St Anthony.

Back to earth with a bump.

York 4.10 Samburu 5/4 - I'm reluctant to put up handicappers on this thread but this one holds an entry in the St James's Palace and is probably at least a G2 animal running in a Class 3 hcap off 88. Surely much more likely to win than lose? I'm not gonna get much in the way of kudos at 5/4, admittedly :)

Cheers, trefflich.

Didn't win like an odds-on shot but the front two were some way clear of the third so maybe it was a wee job horse it beat.

Still, a winner's a winner.

If LYSANDER is to have a chance in the Derby then he will need to win the 320G Friday 7/4

Last edited:
He will need to win to have any chance but he's got two higher-rated (RPRs) Godolphins to beat. They don't hold Derby entries but Godolphin will presumably have better candidates anyway. Lysander doesn't have an OR yet but if his RPR is anything to go by he'd probably be second-top on them.

The race itself is a barge-pole job for me but I'd prefer to see one of the Godolphins win in the hope it prompts them to supplement Nations Pride!

Another winner for the thread would be nice, though :)

Completely forgot this race and hadn't checked the result until now.

L'Astronome won at odds-on so a result all round, even if it was a close finish, so another winner for the thread from trefflich :thumbsup:

Apologies for the delay in acknowledging.

I came on to the thread today to post this one:

Sunday, Musselburgh 5.45

Pearl Glory 11/4 & Happy Craf 9/1 dutch at around 7/4. I'd have Happy Craf at around the same price as PG and both at around 9/4 so they should be dutching at around 4/6.

Back