The Derby

I would have to have serious reservations about both the form of the Sandown Trial, as well as the Derby trip for Chabal.

My impression was that he done a pretty average field for toe in a steadily run race that day. The time looks poor (would imagine it received a fairly low speed figure?) as well.

I thought Midas Touch did it well yesterday but I haven't given up on St Nicholas Abbey. SNA got a rating about 115 over a distance which in hindsight was almost certainly too short for him.

I can't get excited about yesterday's race. With only four runners and an even pace it bore very little resemblance to what will be required at Epsom and Galileo is being very forgiving when he describes the horse in second, Address Unknown, as "tricky".

I thought Midas Touch did it well yesterday but I haven't given up on St Nicholas Abbey. SNA got a rating about 115 over a distance which in hindsight was almost certainly too short for him.

Midas Touch looked okay, but Jan Vermeer (who may not even take part at Epsom) has beaten his stablemate twice and Ballydoyle's Dante runner Cape Blanco is unbeaten and looks decent. SNA has suffered from high expectations, but it should nevertheless be remember that he has run a perfectly respectable Derby trial in the Guineas and according to Murtagh remains potentially the best he has ridden.

Last edited:
Midas Touch looked okay, but Jan Vermeer (who may not even take part at Epsom) has beaten his stablemate twice and Ballydoyle's Dante runner Cape Blanco is unbeaten and looks decent. SNA has suffered from high expectations, but it should nevertheless be remember that he has run a perfectly respectable Derby trial in the Guineas and according to Murtagh remains potentially the best he has ridden.

Steve, I'd pretty well agree with all that. What I was saying, albeit badly was that St Nicholas Abbey is still the one to beat.

The Ballydoyle Derby trial guessing game is a favourite of mine. I'm usually fairly decent at it, though this year I have been absolutely shocking. Thought Cape Blanco would be a Guineas type at the start of the year, with Jan Vermeer the sort to go for a Derby trial. Cape Blanco actually looked pretty well-grown to me last year when I saw him in Leopardstown; didn't really strike me as the type to improve over middle distances if I'm honest.

Interesting to hear O'Brien say that Midas Touch was only diverted to Leopardstown after Mikahil Glinka suffered an apparent set-back. Looks a pretty muddled picture, St Nicholas Abbey apart.

What's the worry about Chabal staying? I generally feel Galileos should be expected to stay until they prove otherwise unless they're from an entirely sprinting family or something similarly extreme.

He hasn't always looked the most amenable to restraint and the dam side of his pedigree is predominantly made up of milers.

Julian Muscat

Aidan O'Brien paraded 15 horses before the media yesterday and spent most of the time talking about the one he had resolved to say nothing about. From that detail alone, those who dismiss St Nicholas Abbey's prospects of winning next month's Investec Derby are on dangerous ground.
O'Brien cannot contain himself when it comes to a special horse. In the 2,000 Guineas build-up, the man who spends every morning around a herd of equine aristocrats had seen enough to believe St Nicholas Abbey would win the Newmarket classic on natural ability alone. The colt might have been found wanting but O'Brien's faith remains robust.
“I had it in my head that I wasn't going to talk about him today,” O'Brien said of the son of Montjeu. “There are a lot of horses out there that might need defending but he is not one of them. He can defend himself. So I say: 'watch him'.”
All the while O'Brien was anxious not to be seen hyping a horse that lit bonfires of expectation with his unbeaten sequence last season. It has happened too many times in the past, yet everything he sees with his finely-honed eye tells him that St Nicholas Abbey remains a prodigious talent.
He reiterated the combination of circumstances that he feels compromised the colt at Newmarket, and he was unequivocal when it was suggested that a brilliant horse would have overcome such adversity. “I don't agree,” he countered. “I'm not surprised he was unable to win. Horses are only flesh and blood, and circumstances can conspire against you.”
O'Brien's case was fortified by Johnny Murtagh, whose post-race analysis has bordered on the forensic. “Like everyone else, I was expecting so much that I was a bit disappointed at the time,” the jockey said. “But taking everything into consideration, it was a good run. He didn't give me the same feel at Newmarket at all to what he gave me at Doncaster [last season]. I still believe in him.”
The main thrust of O'Brien's case is based on the mind-boggling sequence of times St Nicholas Abbey posted in his homework. They were better than Ballydoyle's fabled milers of yesteryear. “The difference between him and them is that he was doing it a lot easier,” he said.
“Maybe that was his undoing. Maybe I should have asked him to do a bit more, because he went to Newmarket fresh and then he caught that slow pace. The ability is there with this horse. All we have to do is not mess him up, and we've done that once already.”
O'Brien posted his first Derby trial victory on Sunday to suggest his string is finally finding its feet. “I think we are just starting to come out of the jungle,” he said. “A whole lot of little things were slowing us down, but St Nicholas Abbey was always our number one Derby candidate and nothing has changed about that.”
Ballydoyle's emergence from the grip of winter was plain to see in the horses O'Brien paraded yesterday. Their coats shone in the sunshine and St Nicholas Abbey, who looked lean before the 2,000 Guineas, has since put on a deal of weight. He certainly looks a different animal to the one that left paddock-watchers at Newmarket feeling perplexed.
O'Brien, who revealed that You'll Be Mine is not guaranteed to run in the Investec Oaks after missing the 1,000 Guineas with a setback, admitted that it hasn't been easy to keep his nerve while the string has struggled to find its form. Midas Touch's victory at Leopardstown may have signalled the turning point but St Nicholas Abbey has a reputation to restore. From O'Brien's perspective, the Derby cannot come soon enough.

High Chapparal started at 7/2 before his Derby after winning the RP Trophy. We might get an even better gift if the Dante winner is reasonably impressive.

I wonder where HC would have finished if he'd run in his 2000 Guineas?

I lost a lot of money on Fame and Glory last year but god, this is such a mortgage job.

Last edited:
Given what we've been saying about AOB's 'prep runs' elsewhere, and that Johnny Murtagh's still loving SNA, I reckon the horse is nailed on now!

AOB mentions on RPTV that Jan Vermeer and Cape Blanco have the French option. He mentions that CB has loads of speed, something that seems to point to Chantilly for me and he also kind of admits that when they have gone to Epsom mob handed it was because they haven't had an outstanding candidate.

I think a lot will depend of the Dante, not just Cape Blanco's run but how impressive or not Workforce is. They had an outstanding candidate for the race last year, but the presence of Sea the Stars forced them to take him on en masse. I get the feeling he'd almost be happy to go to the race with SNA on his own.

I would be great to see Workforce (or Chabal) really blitz the field on Thursday - add nicely to the build up. Hard not to be taken with the quotes from O'Brien in todays papers - granted we know he is in the business of bigging up his horses but more often than not the ones he really singles out as exceptional tend to prove him to be correct.

What I can't understand is if St Nic was doing the same times as their best milers at half speed how can he say in the next sentence he needed a hard mile? Surely if he was doing those time's half speed it would not have mattered!!

I can answer that one for you Aragorn - he's lying. He does it nearly every time he speaks about Ballydoyle horses.

It's funny how every year such and such a horse is the fastest/most natural athlete/most talented etc etc they've ever had. Every year.

Great trainer but an insult to anyone's intelligence to have to read or even worse, suffer through his thoughts on TV. Best to ignore everything he says.

More lies from Aidan O'Brien: :rolleyes:

http://www.coolmore.com/ballydoyle-article.php

We were delighted with Midas Touch in the Derrinstown Derby Trial at Leopardstown on Sunday. He handled the quick ground very well and came home strongly despite it being his first run of the year.

We were also pleased with Age Of Aquarius in Chester on Friday, the ground had gone a little bit soft for him but he came home well in his race and has been very well since.

We were all obviously very upset and disappointed at the loss of Captain James Cook in Lingfield on Saturday. Johnny felt that he was just starting to get into the race and would have finished in the first two.

I forgot, as many have alluded to, this is the Ballydoyle fanclub - don't come on if you're not a fully paid up member :rolleyes:

Back