The Domination of Mullins & Co

Arkle in his time won a bunch of four and five horse races and they were handicaps.
Ditto a lot of other top horses.

Not many years ago they same could have been said about Nicky Henderson, Paul Nicholls, Martin Pipe, Jenny Pitman, etc etc.

I may or may not have posted here about a night in Kielys Bar Donnybrook after Leopardstown Christmas Festival.

Sitting in the bar with Baldeagle eating dinner WPM and Ricci enter, early in their relationship. ( maybe 7 or 8 Ricci horses at WPM's)

Anyways Ricci is in party mood strutting around the bar while Willie quietly sipped a few pints, spoke when spoken to and behaved the perfect gent with allcomers.

We sat, amazed that WPM had time for all this and wondered how many more trainers would have such patience

Now we realise that patience is a virtue very few people have, and patience with your owners is as important as with your horses if you want to get the best results .

Im sick to death of hearing from racing media people about how its so poor to see these horses winning so easily. They are the ultimate of their sport and should be cherished. Millington and the likes appear to have a morbid love of putting the sport down. Twitter is awash with these clowns.

james knight has to be the worst. miserable slug.

Im sick to death of hearing from racing media people about how its so poor to see these horses winning so easily. They are the ultimate of their sport and should be cherished. Millington and the likes appear to have a morbid love of putting the sport down. Twitter is awash with these clowns.

I couldn't agree more. It was a privilege to see Douvan & Faugheen today, just as it was to see Un de Sceaux & Hurricane Fly this day last year.

I can remember five or six consecutive years in the early nineties when there wasn't an Irish trained horse in the first three in the Gold Cup and other than Danoli and Dorans Pride there wasn't much in the top hurdles either.

Irish racegoers should appreciate the class on view today and many other days throughout the season.

Faugheen is an absolute fu*ckload better animal than the hound Binocular, Euro.

Apologies for the language, but it was needed for emphasis.

Tanlic, save your breath. Binocular was a mutt, and his CH was utter mince.

Last edited:
Pish. Kitten Rock was within 10L of him last March. I'm convinced about Douvan and Vautour - far less so about Faugheen

Sent from my MediaPad M1 8.0 using Tapatalk

You mean the 160-rated Kitten Rock who is 6-from-9 over hurdles? In what way does he have a negative bearing on Faugheen?

I will call your Kitten Rock and raise you a Ruthenoise. ;)

Last edited:
Binocular? You mean the same Binocular that could only come 3rd in the worst Champion Hurdle in living memory?

Come on now.

160 rated Kitten Rock. Bought to you by the same people who had Woolcombe Folly on 169.

It's entirely your perogative to ignore every other scrap of evidence in Faugheen's back catalogue, to focus on one horse you happen to think over-rated.

IMO, you would be mad to do so.....but it is your perogative.

What's this? Hate Binocular day? I never compared the two but you want spout shyte about the horse Grassy be my guest.

He was an outstanding hurdler on his day but like Faugheen no Istabraq.

Last edited:
Binocular? You mean the same Binocular that could only come 3rd in the worst Champion Hurdle in living memory?

Come on now.

What????. The say there's no such a thing as a bad Champion Hurdle but they threw that saying in the bucket when Sublimity won. What a bloody awful event that was

Binocular was a class animal plagued by muscle problems and allergies and unlucky not to win a Supreme and 2 Champion Hurdles. If you don't know the reasons why he was unlucky then I'll tell you someday.

Last edited:
It's entirely your perogative to ignore every other scrap of evidence in Faugheen's back catalogue, to focus on one horse you happen to think over-rated.

IMO, you would be mad to do so.....but it is your perogative.

His back catalogue is he won the Champion Hurdle by 1 1/2 lengths from a horse who has won 4 races from 17 and was beaten in the County Hurdle off 141 ffs. and with an old age pensioner back in 3rd

You have the neck to say Binoculars CH was rubbish? I'm going to shoot some fuckers in Call of Duty before I get really upset.

Asked how good he thought he (Douvan) was, Mullins replied: "I don't know. I've yet to see anything that can give him a race. He could be absolutely anything. He has the ability to go back over hurdles and win a Champion Hurdle, let's hope he passes the test coming up in six weeks time."

Maybe he will never reach the heights of Istabraq, no biggie

He is 8 and maybe hasn't even peaked yet - he was impressive yesterday whilst the distances probably did flatter him. He has won alot of races by a long long distance.

He shouldn't need to be the best of all time to appreciate him

Last edited:
He comes across very well - but if he were not so dominant and Ricci in particular ( Though JP must wonder with all his funds how come Ricci seems to be able to buy all the best horses ) then we might well be having

Douvan-v-Faugheen in the CH or Douvan-v-Killtulagh Vic in the Arkle

UDS-v-Vautour in the Champion Chase etc

Back