The Domination of Mullins & Co

If we are talking Cheltenham I doubt if he would be on the bridle after 4 or 5 hurdles. It's not that he's a bad jumper but he's definitely a lazy one and he'd never get away with it the speed they go at during the Fesitival despite having a fair bit of speed himself

I hope next season he goes over fences which might waken his ideas up. I could see him being a top lass chaser in the future but it's not his time yet imo.

Scary read Granger but then I am not familiar with Richard Forristal's reporting.

He is pretty negative about the move to ITV as well he's not one of these all gloom and doom guys by any chance?.

The utter pish that Bruce Millingdick comes out with in the RP re TV coverage really gets on my tits. The man has no interest in Horse Racing. It would be an ideal time to change the RP as we change channel.

Long Dog has had a busy season so we might just go be easy on him now. He is unlikely to race again until Cheltenham.

“Faugheen, Nichols Canyon and Arctic Fire are all likely to run next in the BHP Irish Champion Hurdle.”
Annie Power was not sighted over Christmas as she continues to progress from an injury, but Mullins has not yet ruled out giving her a prep run for the Cheltenham Festival.
He said: “Annie Power is coming on slowly but nicely, and I’m happy with where she is at the moment.
“We won’t know until she steps up to the next stage of training whether she will have a run before Cheltenham, but the aim is Cheltenham.”

I can't see Nichols Canyon turning out in the BHP myself. He had a very hard race the last day.
Given Mullins likes to keep them apart, i'd imagine Arctic Fire has to run if he's none the worse for the infection they found.
Connections were f****d around with his placing over xmas and he deserves to run in the BHP. It would be an easy out and a logical one to let Nichols Canyon sit it out.

Not sure on Faugheen. He went straight to the Champion last season. If its not broke....

I can't see Nichols Canyon turning out in the BHP myself. He had a very hard race the last day.
Given Mullins likes to keep them apart, i'd imagine Arctic Fire has to run if he's none the worse for the infection they found.
Connections were f****d around with his placing over xmas and he deserves to run in the BHP. It would be an easy out and a logical one to let Nichols Canyon sit it out.

Not sure on Faugheen. He went straight to the Champion last season. If its not broke....

It must be terrible for him to try and share out the Grade 1's between them all. Poor bloke.

Only 8 of the 21 entries for the Delloite Novice Hurdle, and 10 of 22 entries in the Flogas Novice Chase, are trained outside Closutton.

Make of that what you will.

Like all cycles it will work itself out, it may just take a while

PFN was winning everything for years and Martin Pipe before that

I like seeing good horse trained in Ireland but can't stand Rich Ricci

We can look for the ones that win the County Hurdle, the Coral Cup, and the Conditionals at the Festival.

I'm absolutely convinced that Mullins is massively plotting for a record Festival by adding to his handicap hurdle wins.

It's not so long ago that Noel Meade was dominating Irish racing. As granger says, these things tend to be cyclical, and usually self-correct over time, as new owners come into the game, and spread their horses around.

Not sure if cyclical is the correct term - will be a long while before it moves around to Meade being the powerhouse he was. The Mullins domination is historic.

Guess it only becomes a problem if owners find their horses not getting where they need to be.

Hasnt stopped Un de Sceaux. He would still be an interesting contender in champion hurdle.

We can look for the ones that win the County Hurdle, the Coral Cup, and the Conditionals at the Festival.

I'm absolutely convinced that Mullins is massively plotting for a record Festival by adding to his handicap hurdle wins.

He loves that Martin Pipe race and clearly isn't averse to switching one which could have a say in any of the Grade 1 novice events into this. His winners being Sir Des Champs, Don Poli & Killultagh Vic.

Petit Mouchoir has winning point form over 3m, has so far been campaigned over 2m since being sent to Willie and is currently available at 16/1.

He's likely to have several potential candidates and I'd be inclined to wait until at least they do the entries and probably NRNB.

16/1 would be long gone though Archie if he was a confirmed runner or the market was NRNB. It's obviously a big gamble, hence the price, but maybe worth a few sheckles.

Mullins has 4 of the top 7 in the betting for the MP so it's probably 3/1 about him even running. Hence the NRNB hedge although he will of course only be 8/1 in that market.

Back