The Domination of Mullins & Co

Max Dynamite was a stupid price and Aminabad was the rank outsider in the same race. I think we're just seeing the average horses in the yard who won't be going to Cheltenham plus the prices aren't truly reflecting their chances and are a product of the form he's been in this year.

I wouldn't be worried but i'm still going to take some of Mullins on.... I'm also going to be taking on soft ground horses if the ground is good/good to soft as usual. Winter form gets over bet in the spring.

All the Mullins runners being reminded where the winners enclosure is

Winners_zpsv0s5kfyo.jpg

I was just thinking today that for all the talk about Ricci at Cheltenham, if you disregarded the results of all the Ricci horses,Mullins would still have had seven winners at the festival.

Five non Ricci winners and Shaneshill and Artic Fire runners up to Ricci winners.

Valid point.

wont stop me looking at the calendar registrations to see what they buy this summer though :D

Vroum vroum might be one for the Powers

Last edited:
Annie the next Dawn Run; she was bought off Jim Bolger as that.
Funny she has no Festival win yet.
Gold Cup 2016 was said to be the target on here by someone; wonder what the target is now ?

hard to to imagine her chasing now.

hattons grace, leop 3 miler, mares hurdle, Aintree hurdle and punch 3 miler if I was advising them for next term

This might have been mentioned elsewhere - what has happened to Northern trainers having any success at Cheltenham Festivals? You might expect the odd winner from a John Quinn, Donald McCain Jr, Sue Smith or Tim Easterby but this year there seemed to be a lack of any with live chances. NH Racing seems to revolve around the southern courses such as Ascot, Newbury, Kempton, Cheltenham etc. We get the Charlie Hall chase and a few graded races but not many powerful/rich owners seem keen to send their horses to the smaller stables and give a trainer a chance.

This might have been mentioned elsewhere - what has happened to Northern trainers having any success at Cheltenham Festivals? You might expect the odd winner from a John Quinn, Donald McCain Jr, Sue Smith or Tim Easterby but this year there seemed to be a lack of any with live chances. NH Racing seems to revolve around the southern courses such as Ascot, Newbury, Kempton, Cheltenham etc. We get the Charlie Hall chase and a few graded races but not many powerful/rich owners seem keen to send their horses to the smaller stables and give a trainer a chance.

The same observation was in the Telegraph today. Nothing at the fez for the likes of McCain or Nicky Richards etc. in fact McCain only sent a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't remember McCain having a quieter year. No stable stars, Tim Leslie doesn't seem to have as many or any new horses and you don't see McCain dominating northern tracks like you used to. Where's Overturn??

The same observation was in the Telegraph today. Nothing at the fez for the likes of McCain or Nicky Richards etc. in fact McCain only sent a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was wondering about this myself last week
Assuming one of John Hales's proudest ever moments on a racecourse was One Man winning the QM, Why he doesn't still send the odd horse up to Greystoke.
Obviously PN is a master trainer and its not by accident that all the top owners follow him but I guess it would be nice to spread the goods around I suppose.

Last edited:
I dont know if its temporary or not, but if I spent a mid to high market rate for an impressive point to point winner, and I wanted him to struggle to win an uncompetitive bumper/maiden hurdle before failing against any horse of any potential, to only then struggle to become an unreliable middle of the road handicap chaser who pops up once a year, with only the warm feeling of past potential to keep me warm then McCain would be my No 1 choice of trainer. To me, he seems to train to talent out of horses.

Considering his location and standard of owners McCain I too reckon McCain is one of the best trainers in the country.

He's certainly one of the most popular with smaller owners and has a lot more horses under his care than the likes of Nicholls or Henderson.

Considering the cost of many of them isn't much more than a small car I'd say he does exceptionally well.

He did wonders with both Overturn and Peddler's Cross but their owner isn't exactly known for spending the millions JP, Ricci or Munir seem to throw about like confetti.at least not lately......has about 8 horses with him I see.

Paul Rooney owns about a third of the horses in the yard ....no idea how much he spends when buying horses but they all seem fairly moderate.

It's not easy for these trainers to compete against the big guys but he's been there and done it and will do so again.

200 plus horses and a strike rate close on 20% takes some doing...........Ginger would have had a strike rate of about 2% God Bless him

How on earth he's managed to win 3 or 4 races with that Degooch speaks volumes about his ability.....the things a complete rogue imo.

Last edited:
The Leslie's and Rooneys both spend top money. Often over £100k for horses and other than Overturn and Peddlers they havent had a lot of return for their spends. I do think he's a good trainer though but he's certainly not training 200 £5k horses like is being suggested.

Back