The Festival Handicaps

Savello is and has always been Tony Martin's horse for the County Hurdle. His price will collapse next week.

Quick Jack will win at one of the other 2 Festivals wherever there's the most money on offer which I'm too lazy to look.

Had a little each way on the Frenchie - Toutancarmont - in the Cross Country. There doesn't appear to be a new XC superstar in the offing and there's a bit of a run on Betfair. 8/1 seems fair enough for 4 places.

Any idea who Paul Nicholls will put up on Cowards Closer in the Kim Muir? Seems one of the few who will appreciate the likely fast going

Toutancarmont is the best XC horse in France, but the ground on the Cheltenham course will likely be the fastest he's encountered by some way (though he did win once in the provinces on GS over 4m) and he comes into the race off the back of a fall. I don't think the handicapper has taken many chances with a rating of 143, and I'll be happy to look elsewhere at 7/1.

I like Duke of Lucca in the race myself.

Taglietelle 25/1 for Gorden Elliot in the Coral Cup. Won the same prep race (Charity Race at Fairyhouse) as Bayan did last season for his prep for his 3rd place finish in the County Hurdle.
Not that Charity races mean anything per say..... But last year Bayan went off 4/6 in that charity race and won by less than 1 length.
Taglietelle went off EVS and won by 20 Lengths like a horse that is very very well in himself!
Heard Elliot say he is definitely Coral bound on a Podcast yesterday. I think he is on a very generous mark - 25/1 4 places looks excellent value imo.

Taglietelle 25/1 for Gorden Elliot in the Coral Cup. Won the same prep race (Charity Race at Fairyhouse) as Bayan did last season for his prep for his 3rd place finish in the County Hurdle.
Not that Charity races mean anything per say..... But last year Bayan went off 4/6 in that charity race and won by less than 1 length.
Taglietelle went off EVS and won by 20 Lengths like a horse that is very very well in himself!
Heard Elliot say he is definitely Coral bound on a Podcast yesterday. I think he is on a very generous mark - 25/1 4 places looks excellent value imo.

Reads like a good shout, DH.

What do we think of this French thing in the X Country? Martin?
As Grassy says coming in off a fall isn't ideal - I think Toutancarmont is very decent but you never know how they'll take to the course there.

Wouldn't want to be having a bet in the race just yet - think there are other races with more solid options.

Champagne James wherever he runs - preferably in the Kim Muir would be one.

I'm hoping to see Arzal entered who ran a belter in the Tote Trophy when 6th after shuffled back when they restarted (when usually races prominently), and badly hampered when Goodwood Mirage came down.
Arzal takes part in what looks like one of the more intriguing Imperial Cups I've seen in recent years.
Looking forward to seeing how he gets on.

For want of somewhere to post this 230 declarations for Cheltenham Thursday 16 JLT, 48 Pertemps, 19 Ryanair, 22 World Hurdle, 63 Handicap Chase & 62 in Kim Muir

So no Savello in the County, goes QMCC instead. Strange decision, unless A J Martin has the winner of the County already?

The 3 miler on the Tuesday looks tough but Sausalito Sunrise may still have a few lbs in hand with Holywell proving last season the 145 barrier is not insurmountable.

Ruddy darn it. He's been taken out. Fancied him myself.

I'm not really into having a big punt in these handicaps but if On Tour gets into the Coral Cup I might just have a go.

He ran a good race in the Betfair and was one of the few who came out of the pack on ground he hated.

The ground should be just about perfect he's a well balanced horse and should handle the course plus he's one of the best handicapped horses in the race of 138.......

If he gets in and Evan Williams runs him I reckon he'll run a huge race.

Last edited:
I'm not really into having a big punt in these handicaps but if On Tour gets into the Coral Cup I might just have a go.

He ran a good race in the Betfair and was one of the few who came out of the pack on ground he hated.

The ground should be just about perfect he's a well balanced horse and should handle the course plus he's one of the best handicapped horses in the race of 138.......

If he gets in and Evan Williams runs him I reckon he'll run a huge race.

I'd be hopeful he'll get in off 138. Bottom weight has been a few pounds lower than that in the last 5 renewals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surprised that this hasn't been picked up on but the gamble on Pendra is sustained. 16/1 at 6 day decs and now into favouritism.

IMHO lemmings following green and gold.

Wouldn't touch the horse with counterfeit.

Back