The Gold Cup 2010

I think he will win it this year - even if he is not at his best. It will take a star novice coming through to take him down assuming he does not bomb out completely which is hard to see happening this year.

DJ, do you think Master Medic will get the trip at Kempton?

There's not a great deal of stamina in his pedigree, and though he got 2m5f very well at Huntingdon last season, the extra is a trip into the unknown.

I've backed at up to 180, but I confess it's with an IR Lay in mind, as I can't make a case for him lasting home against the likes of Kauto Star and Imperial Commander.

Couldn't be sure he'll stay I agree, though I suspect it will be a relative lack of ability that proves his main downfall! A non-staying distant third sounds like an ideal scenario.

In which case, I can only imagine you hope to get a double-figure price for the Ascot Chase, on the back of a moderate-looking Kempton performance.

I like your thinking. :D

I backed Nacarat each way at 14s in September and still think I have a fair bet.

He's hardly set the World alight in two runs so far this season but neither race was ideal for him (one was over an inadequate trip, the other over hurdles). The King George has always been his target and I expect him to do much better. Other than Kauto, I think he has as good a chance as anything.

Grasshopper/DJ

Master Medics pedigree isn't totally devoid of stamina influences although it isn't the perfect profile for a King George winner. As DJ points out it is more likely he will be outclassed than anything else.

OK Galileo, you asked for it!

Master Medic - 3-1-11-5-0 (20) / 0.90 / 0.10

Preferable to have a negative CD rating but off the top of me head he isn't too far wrong based on the race trends.

Will need a hell of a lot of improvement to get competitive on Boxing day though, regardless of his Dosage figures.

OK Galileo, you asked for it!

Master Medic - 3-1-11-5-0 (20) / 0.90 / 0.10

Preferable to have a negative CD rating but off the top of me head he isn't too far wrong based on the race trends.

Will need a hell of a lot of improvement to get competitive on Boxing day though, regardless of his Dosage figures.

sorry what is this? :eek::eek:

Lexus Chase

Notre Pere, Cooldine, Joncol and now What A Friend is due to take his place in the Lexus.

By Lexus time, if this cold snap keeps up, the ground could be pretty decent at Leopardstown (assuming it goes ahead!!).

Paddy Power go...

3/1 Joncol
7/2 Notre Pere
9/2 What A Friend
5/1 Cooldine
6/1 Tranquil Sea
12/1 Money Trix

Regarding the King George -

Kauto Star looks pretty much certain to win...
Imperial Commander is going the wrong way around...
Madison Du Berlais strikes me as the type to become very sour this season...
Deeple Purple has yet to convince me and his last race kind of fell apart and was handed to him...
Nacarat does not look the seem the same horse this year though he has contested events that probably were not ideal...
Schindler's Hunt is not good enough...

From a betting point of view to place I think it is between Barber Shop and in particular Albertas Run. Both should enjoy the ground, track and trip but are hardly good enough to be Kauto Star. In Compliance would be interesting in this if they had the balls to bring him over but I doubt they will.

Why not keep all discussions like this in the Road to gold cup thread. Things got a little confusing at times with seperate Tingle Creek and Champion Chase threads.

Took the £20 E/W Paddy Power would lay me at 33's on Cloudy Lane the other day before they cut it to 20's. Laughable he's still double the price of Money Trix on their Kelso run considering he shaped better than that horse until lack of a run told (as it has with most from the yard this season) and will be 9 lb better off.

I rated the Massey-Ferguson form very high (and Poquelin appeared to justify that decision last week) so TS must be a bit classy.

I also think the Boylesports form is very hot.

The Massey-Ferguson is the Boylesports isn't it?

Regarding the Paddy Power, Hold Em doesn't strike me as a particularly well handicapped horse.

The Massey-Ferguson is the Boylesports isn't it?

Regarding the Paddy Power, Hold Em doesn't strike me as a particularly well handicapped horse.
DO clearly meant Mackeson. I'm not sure that Hold 'Em isn't well treated - his run over 3m at Ascot suggested that a similar contest over a few furlongs shorter would be his for the taking if he put it all in.

I have it in my mind that what Hold 'Em needs to be seen to best effect is 2m4f, good ground, and a stiff gallop. Given that he's put up some highly creditable performances without necessarily getting all three, he could well be on a decent mark.

Do you have attitude doubts btw, Rory? I wouldn't have seen enough to form a concrete opinion, but he seems a lazy type that would really benefit from an end-to-end gallop. In fairness, he will be vulnerable to less exposed improvers in virtually every race he takes in.

Fair enough Rory. It wouldn't surprise me to see him with a 0-135 or 0-140 but I think he'll continue to be the type of horse to place rather than win in some of the more valuable events.

Do you have attitude doubts btw, Rory? I wouldn't have seen enough to form a concrete opinion, but he seems a lazy type that would really benefit from an end-to-end gallop. In fairness, he will be vulnerable to less exposed improvers in virtually every race he takes in.
I don't think he's a dog tbh, but he may be the type who rolls over a little easily; perhaps I could have chosen my words better. I'd give him one opportunity with perfect conditions to show he can do it.

Back