The Gordy Elliott Horror Picture Show

Regardless of whether the punishment will fit the crime GE will be going under the bus for this.

The sport cannot appear to allow this kind of thing to be acceptable in this society we live in otherwise we all know how quickly things will spiral out of control.

I have upmost sympathy for the workers in the yard who have done nothing wrong and don't deserve any of this but unfortunately the view racing will take now is the few have to take the fall for the many.

The response of the BHA is telling banning runners. It is getting ahead of the **** storm and insulating itself and UK trainers from this.

Unfortunately the young lad will suffer but he has mitigation, his age. I would guess many of us did things at his age that we wouldn't contemplate now we are older and supposedly wiser. Elliot is just an idiot.

That was my first thought. A young lad surrounded by mates egging him on. Who probably didn’t want to show the emotion he possibly was feeling. I did some incredibly stupid things when I was young.

Regardless of whether the punishment will fit the crime GE will be going under the bus for this.

The sport cannot appear to allow this kind of thing to be acceptable in this society we live in otherwise we all know how quickly things will spiral out of control.

I have upmost sympathy for the workers in the yard who have done nothing wrong and don't deserve any of this but unfortunately the view racing will take now is the few have to take the fall for the many.

The response of the BHA is telling banning runners. It is getting ahead of the **** storm and insulating itself and UK trainers from this.

Here's an alternative view. There is more **** that will come out and none of it concerns Gordon Elliot. The BHA has now set a standard that it will be held to in destroying Gordon Elliot's yard. God help those who come after.

Here's an alternative view. There is more **** that will come out and none of it concerns Gordon Elliot. The BHA has now set a standard that it will be held to in destroying Gordon Elliot's yard. God help those who come after.

Er, I think it was GE who destroyed his yard.

'Course you would, GG, thus proving your dead horse far more important than any sense of perspective?

Sense of perspective? You think it's a good advert for racing? For horse welfare; well he was dead not hurting him by sitting on him was he, so that's absolutely fine. Yes of course. How utterly stupid of me to think it's not a big deal. Send me to a school for type writer maintenance.
Perspective for the animal cruelty mob who don't need an excuse.
Perspective for the non racing fan - been asked about it at work today- total disgust and they're not horse/race fans.
Perspective is subjective. That horse, or any horse, could be the most important part of someone's life. You can scoff at that if you want.

Last edited:
Er, I think it was GE who destroyed his yard.

Possibly so. Would the same energy have been shown if it was Nicky Henderson though or a Paul Nicholls. Accounts been threatening videos again all day but i think its bull now.

BHA have set the benchmark now though. See if the same energy is shown towards UK trainer if such things exist.

Possibly so. Would the same energy have been shown if it was Nicky Henderson though or a Paul Nicholls. Accounts been threatening videos again all day but i think its bull now.

BHA have set the benchmark now though. See if the same energy is shown towards UK trainer if such things exist.

Cheveley Park Stud started the exodus and it was not due to the BHA stance (nor did they make reference to it’) - it was to protect their own reputation.

“ Thompson feels Cheveley Park ultimately had little option but to move the horses to other yards to ensure their reputation remained intact”.

Last edited:
Cheveley Park Stud started the exodus and it was not due to the BHA stance (nor did they make reference to it’) - it was to protect their own reputation.

“ Thompson feels Cheveley Park ultimately had little option but to move the horses to other yards to ensure their reputation remained intact”.

cheveley park quickly changed from "we will await the official outcome of the investigation by the IHRB, which we trust will be swift, before making any further comment/decisions." to getting the horses the hell out of there. pretty clear this was down to the BHA stance re: cheltenham. they didn't want to sit on their hands and wait it out with the festival 2 weeks away.

Would the same energy have been shown if it was a Nicholls or Hendo yard?

Nicholls just stating a very valid point which I meant to flag up earlier. Many of these horses could well be seriously compromised by moving stables so close to their biggest runs of the season. The change in diet - hay, hard feed and even water has to be very, very carefully managed. Horses digestive systems can be very delicate. Add in the strangeness of moving to a completely new environment surrounded by new people. A few horses will cope, but I do endorse Nicholls comments that it could not happen at a worse time for the horses themselves.

I don't see why it wouldn't have really, Double.

All high profile trainers, all fair game.

He's certainly only got himself to blame has Gordon.

Each individual whether a horse trainer or animal rights activist will have their own level of response to what's happend. That's the just the way of the world.

People have been suggesting jumps racing, for safety and welfare reasons, might be running out of time in the modern day world.

I hope not.

I hope this isn't the real beginning of the end for the sport.

Last edited:

I damn well hope so, but I suspect maybe not. As it is I applaud BHA for leaping in to protect the integrity of our sport. After all, it’s not as if they rushed to judgement because GE had already made his statement admitting his actions.

I have been very critical of Henderson in other respects but I couldn't conceive of him or Nicholls ever displaying that kind of attitude to their horses or tolerating it from others.

Today was the last day that horses could be moved to a new trainer prior to Cheltenham start, I would think (2 weeks). If they leave it until the IHRB enquiry, and Elliott is suspended, they risk not being able to run.

Today was the last day that horses could be moved to a new trainer prior to Cheltenham start, I would think (2 weeks). If they leave it until the IHRB enquiry, and Elliott is suspended, they risk not being able to run.

Can move day before if theh so wish as long as its between licensed trainers

I have been very critical of Henderson in other respects but I couldn't conceive of him or Nicholls ever displaying that kind of attitude to their horses or tolerating it from others.

Me either.

But my point is i doubt the BHA would have reacted the same way.

But that's pointless. How can you hypothesise about something you can't imagine?

Last edited:
It was before I joined but I’m sure someone told me our racing club went on a stable visit to Henderson’s the day after he’d lost a horse on the track and he was too upset to speak to people. Hazy Sunset I think it was called (I could be wrong). Having said that a trainer can’t completely go to pieces when they lose a horse because they have horses to look after and people in their employ. But there has to be a balance and GE certainly got the balance wrong. Well, I’ve either got the trainer or the horse wrong!

Last edited:
So, we are looking at Elliot horses still with real chances in:

The triumph (Zanahayir)),
the stayers (Sire de Berlais),
the pertemps (Bosses Oscar) ,
the champion hurdle (Abracadbras),
the ultima, (Escaria Ten)
the NH Chase (Galvin),
the Coral Cup, (Grands Roi)
Cross Country (Tiger Roll)
Grand Annual (Chosen Mate)
Bumper (Three Stripe Life)
Paddy Power Plate (Farclas)
Kim Muir (Run Wild Fred)
ALbert Bartlett (Fakeira)
Mares Chase (Shattered Love)
Martin Pipe (Grand Paradis/Wide Receiver)

Maybe him being destroyed is premature.

Last edited:
So, we are looking at Elliot horses still with real chances in:

The triumph (Zanahayir)),
the stayers (Sire de Berlais),
the pertemps (Bosses Oscar) ,
the champion hurdle (Abracadbras),
the ultima, (Escaria Ten)
the NH Chase (Galvin),
the Coral Cup, (Grands Roi)
Cross Country (Tiger Roll)
Grand Annual (Chosen Mate)
Bumper (Three Stripe Life)
Paddy Power Plate (Farclas)
Kim Muir (Run Wild Fred)
ALbert Bartlett (Fakeira)
Mares Chase (Shattered Love)
Martin Pipe (Grand Paradis/Wide Receiver)

Maybe him being destroyed is premature.

Providing he keeps them all.

Betting suggesting the Gigginstown horses wont even be running.

His yard sponsor (a company owned by the Morans) has pulled the plug. Their horses gone too?

Back