The King George

Long Run's jumping would surely have improved over the last 2 years if they had a pro onboard. He lost the race because of his shocking jumping. Isnt it time for a Geraghty/Carberry onboard? Just to c if it helps. Such a shame Cohen ban didnt come into effect since we will probably never find out the answer now.

Fair play to Kauto Star. Cant see him winning the Gold Cup, I do hope he lines up though and gives us another great race.

Loved watching him today - didnt really mind who won though I was cheering Long Run on. Will be totally different at Cheltenham (for all the reasons Tanlic has said above.) Long Run stays and stays and stays (doesnt jump ;) but stays!) and IMO should have been made more use of - but in no way does that mean that I think the result would have been different.

Lovely display from a horse who was thoroughly enjoying himself. :D

PLEASE can we cut down on the foul language? Moderators? It really spoils it for those of us who want to read about the racing, e.g., the great Kauto, but don't want effing and blinding.

Were you there Bruce because i was both times and cannot agree with that at all

Clivex
The guy is clearly on a wind-up, and is probably best totally ignored.
His earlier assertion that a section of the race was 45 secs slow (in a race completed in just over 6mins, ffs), implies the field dropped around half a mile somewhere in that period - and that's far from the daftest thing he's said recently.

I think credit has to go to Walsh as well for yesterday. I don't think it's any coincidence that Kauto has been back to his best since Walsh has got back on board. McCoy didn't get anything like the same tune out of him last year.

Just brilliant, I really didn't think Kauto would be able to do it again but was very glad to be proved wrong, his jumping was superb and it was great to see him looking as though he was really enjoying himself. Only low spot was Master Minded's injury - hopefully he'll make a good recovery and enjoy a long retirement.

My family & friends and I really feel it was an honour and a privilege to have been able to be at Kempton to see Kauto Star get his 5th King George. We have followed him from his infancy and marvel at how he has matured, overcome his jumping problems and become the ultimate athlete. I think it was a beautiful ride from Ruby. There were cheers, tears and hysterics from the crowd who ran to catch a glimpse of them coming in and great that Ruby paraded him in front of the stands too.

Well worth the entry price.

I'm a big fan of Long Run too, and just think that on the day NOTHING was going to beat Kauto & Ruby. Long Run is young, he will mature and continue to win his races.

There have been some exceptional performances over the last 10 years. Duels, multiples winners,comeback kings.Whether flat or national hunt, there is a long list of epics.

On the KG, it seems clear to me that they need to make more use of Long Run. He's got done for toe twice now by Kauto. They should kick on with him a mile out.

funny that he was a doubtful stayer last season and now he seems more and more like an out and out stayer and is getting done for toe mid way through his races

They did make a little more use of him at Haydock, only to see him given a lesson in jumping.
As Granger indicates, Long Run's shown plenty of speed on his previous visits to Kempton, and it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the ground he loses getting over and away from a fence is his real problem.

They did make a little more use of him at Haydock, only to see him given a lesson in jumping.
As Granger indicates, Long Run's shown plenty of speed on his previous visits to Kempton, and it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the ground he loses getting over and away from a fence is his real problem.

I think you've nailed it reet. Long Run didn't jump poorly at Kempton, he's just nothing like so economical a jumper as Kauto and is always putting himself on the back foot.

Much easier to see Ruby be able to ride a similar race to Haydock and Kempton without Denman in the line up at Cheltenham. And it's not Wahley-Cohen bashing either to suggest Ruby against a 5lb claimer that can't claim is a massive asset, particularly as Wahley-Cohen must be wondering what they can do differently to tip the scales back in their favour.

Kauto was magnificent yesterday . When Long Run tries to mix it with him early his jumping suffers. When Kauto is allowed to run a more tactical race he does Long Run for toe .

I suspect Kauto would have won more easily yesterday had he been trained with this as his no 1 target rather than the Betfair.

He is much the most likely Gold Cup winner for me.

Will Long Run and his jockey still be an intact combo Or will one of those errors catapult SWC off ? Kauto has won the GC twice already and last year when he was not right is the only time he has not got up the hill ( barring that fall )

SWC is a decent jockey- he's riding against some of the best ever. Doesn't mean he will be unseated.

That was not my point . If Long Run makes the sort of errors he has been doing this year at Cheltenham any jockey might come off .

The time to question SWC's ability in the saddle was before LR's two defeats....not after.

It just looks like sour grapes if you slag him off now, as I'm sure any of the "I told you so" brigade would testify - if only we could find one of them. They've been largely unsighted since Haydock.

;)

SWC has now 15 day ban to serve between 1st Jan & Gold Cup day, on days when there are Amateur races - do we know if it includes flat races?

Amateur races. (Hunter Chases to be added)

Its his horse though. It would show a massive set of baws to get off and let Barry have a go with him.

Back