The Long Shot Thread

Not one to be going mad on but Khelman 40/1 in the first at Doncaster usually runs alright first time up his mark has dropped a bit and has a 5lb claimer on top. Worth a look anyway imo.

In the same race Fingals Cave 25/1 is probably also worth a second look. Has some decent bits and pieces over 7f on soft ground and has run with some credit after his breaks without setting the world alight. Less sure about this one but worth a look anyway.

Last edited:
Downpatrick - 2.10 Fiveaftermidnight 40/1 in places - wasn't disgraced btn 32L in a grade 2 bumper l/t/o considering the winner and third were all out and went on to finish 1st & 7th in the champion bumper at the Cheltenham Festival. Selection has finished a close 2nd in a PTP so hurdles shouldn't be a problem and extra distance should be in her favour. With mares allowance and 7lb claimer she is getting a stone in weight off the fav. It wouldn't come as a surprise if she outran her odds in an easier race.

Downpatrick - 2.10 Fiveaftermidnight 40/1 in places - wasn't disgraced btn 32L in a grade 2 bumper l/t/o considering the winner and third were all out and went on to finish 1st & 7th in the champion bumper at the Cheltenham Festival. Selection has finished a close 2nd in a PTP so hurdles shouldn't be a problem and extra distance should be in her favour. With mares allowance and 7lb claimer she is getting a stone in weight off the fav. It wouldn't come as a surprise if she outran her odds in an easier race.

Unlucky there Chef. Travelled nicely and just nabbed the Gigi horse up the run in.

Running total.

Win - 0/1 = -1pt
Place - 0/1 = -1pt

Bit of a speculative one for tomorrow.

5.45 Wolves - He's Our Star - 20/1 Paddy Power and William Hill. Both 1/4 odds 1/2/3.

Right, so we have He's Our Star reappearing off a break tomorrow. He ticks a few of my boxes but he also has a couple of question marks.

I'm encouraged by the jockey booking. Rossa Ryan showed last back-end particularly that he was good value for the 5 and I don't expect that to last too long once he gets up and running. I think a mark of 65 is fair based on the below.

This horse ran a very good race to finish 3rd behind Gameplayer Emperor in what was admittedly a run of the mill 2yo auction maiden by Newbury's standards. The winner went on to win his next two starts before being sold to continue his career in Hong Kong. He left the UK with a rating of 85 and has run with credit in two starts at Happy Valley.

He's Our Star made his 2nd start in an early Bath maiden over 5f, won by the useful Helvetian from the Channon yard who kept his form well for the rest of the season. The 2nd that day, a filly from the Clive Cox yard (Swing Out Sister) went on to win a Sandown novice and finished the season rated 74. It was clear that the drop to 5f wasn't to the selection's liking but he was by no means disgraced.

The next two runs, one at Lingfield and the other at Leicester were both fair without obvious promise. However I believe the Lingfield race was probably the best 2yo maiden at the track last season and the Leicester race was a backend handicap which I'm willing to forgive.

He's Our Star returns as a 3yo, gelded and up in trip to the unique 9.5f around Dunstall Park. Fairly drawn with a promising apprentice booked first time points to a place prospect at the very least for me.

The main reservation is that this looks like a typical 3yo handicap at this time a year. There's a couple in hear with 3 inauspicious runs and a handicap mark and it wouldn't surprise me to see either Short Head, Braemar or Appenzeller come to the fore.

My preference though is for He's Our Star, both for tomorrow but also for the next few runs where hopefully he can do better than a mark of 65.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Two for today:

Mus 1.50 Exchecquer 20/1 - Not my main bet in the race but before his AW/turf ratings split he was about the same level on turf but his AW rating has gone up. He was blocked twice when not beaten far by Twin Appeal at Wolves in December and is 4lbs lower here. It’s a while since he ran on turf and if he appreciates the return to it for his new trainer he could be well handicapped.

Mus 3.35 Mount Tahan 25/1 - Again, not my main bet in the race but he looks on a serious curve on the AW since upped in trip yet appears ignored in the market here. Maybe I'm just missing something obvious but for me he should be a single-figure price.

Two for today:

Mus 1.50 Exchecquer 20/1 - Not my main bet in the race but before his AW/turf ratings split he was about the same level on turf but his AW rating has gone up. He was blocked twice when not beaten far by Twin Appeal at Wolves in December and is 4lbs lower here. It’s a while since he ran on turf and if he appreciates the return to it for his new trainer he could be well handicapped.

Mus 3.35 Mount Tahan 25/1 - Again, not my main bet in the race but he looks on a serious curve on the AW since upped in trip yet appears ignored in the market here. Maybe I'm just missing something obvious but for me he should be a single-figure price.

Good luck DO. Was looking at both races for a long shot but resisted in the end.

Fairyhouse 1.45 Design Matters 33/1 - This came to my attention as he is the most expensive purchase in the field at 45,000 euros and I would of had a minimum e/way just for that reason. I did some research and came across this article http://www.itm.ie/en/Media_Centre/News/INTERVIEW__MARTIN_CULLINANE_OF_MOUNT_BROWN_FARM/
Pay particular attention on what he has to say about Lot 76 as that is the selection.

This horse is up again today in the 1400 Cork - currently 66-1 (doubtful the most expensive horse in the field this time, but I like to follow a Chef special :) & maybe e/w up to 5 ?)

This horse is up again today in the 1400 Cork - currently 66-1 (doubtful the most expensive horse in the field this time, but I like to follow a Chef special :) & maybe e/w up to 5 ?)

Interesting reading this as he went into my alerts today for when he goes handicapping.

He's Our Star ran well enough the other day but was tapped for a bit of toe in the middle part of the race and ran on well to just miss the frame. Usually the way with these longshots but I expect it will be winning this season.

Running total

Win 0/2 -2pts
Place 0/2 -2pts
Total -4pts

Onto tomorrow.

Wolverhampton 4.20 Vincenzo Coccotti 20/1 general 1/4 1/2/3

I think this is horse has a fair chance tomorrow at 20s. Drawn down the inside and effective over both 6 and 7, the selection can run well under Hector Crouch. Feasibly handicapped off 62. Had 3 runs in a month to get handicapped and a break to be freshened up for the big run tomorrow... heard stranger things at sea.

I've had a look at the field for tomorrow's race and I don't think it's that competitive, despite a few having won recently. Critical Thinking doesn't look well in and Acadean Angel doesn't look capable of winning off 66. Herm may be close to his ceiling for the time being after two recent wins and Air of York hasn't really been threatening at Wolves having had enough chances in this grade.

I'm happy to chance Vincenzo Coccotti. The stable hasn't sent out a stack of runners, just 4 in the last 2 weeks but there was a winner amongst them and I'd be disappointed if this one didn't make the frame tomorrow.

Last edited:
Cheers Danny. Been hard going on the longshots but I think it's very much a case of carrying on and I'll start on a run of better results.

2.30 Chepstow Youngoconnor. 50/1. Much better than seem so far. Brought down last time but really could go well.

More value longshots in the Irish Nash than you can shake a stick at.

The nature of the race and the market means a lot of them are much longer than they really should be. I know this thread is for 20/1+ suggestions but there are far too many of them.

I'm going to limit myself to those at 50/1 and longer for this race on this thread. In order of preference:

The Paparrazi Kid 66/1
Kilcarry Bridge 80/1
Champagne Harmony 125/1
Lord Scoundrel 50/1

I've done two today at crazy odds. 1.40 caius college girl 66-1 and in the 3.25 sans souci bay also at 66-1. Both trainers partial to the odd silly price winner. Here's hoping I land the 4,489-1 double. :)

Just the one for me today but I should emphasise I'm only experimenting with AW racing. Normally I bodyswerve it.

Kem 5.00 Port Douglas 22/1 - an ex-Coolmore horse who went up to 111 for running up to US Army Ranger in the Chester Vase and was only 16/1 in the Derby (but beaten a long way). He wasn’t beaten far in the Irish Derby before moving to Singapore where he disappointed. He’s been with Paul Cole since January and had a run out last month so this is an interesting entry for him off just 95 and I like the booking of Probert.

Last edited:
I mentioned earlier in the week on another thread about really liking the look of Ghaiyyath last year and having looked at the betting for the Classics this year I'm thinking its likely he is going to swerve the Guineas and go the Dante-Derby route. He's 25/1 for the Derby and although I have to admit I was hugely impressed with Saxon Warrior at the back end of last season at the prices I don't mind taking him on. Not being the best judge of such things I don't really want to be laying out a huge chunk of my own dough on the opinion, so I've decided to try a couple more of those crazy e/w doubles that I love so much to see if I can buy some cheap money to run on to this whimsical fancy.

I have to admit to having various wagers already down on the Grand National but over the last week having been watching some replays of key races I have 2 fancies that I think hold fairly solid claims of placing and perhaps slightly more than a punchers chance of winning. The first I'd already mentioned somewhere was Saint Are 66/1 fairly straight forward really stayed on well for third last year and arrives back off the same mark incredibly well weighted with the 4th Blaklion who not only returns higher in the handicap but basically in preparation seemed to have run himself to a complete standstill at Haydock and he's about 1/5th off the price of the Saint.

The one I'm probably more keen on and I'm really warming too having not been keen initially is Regal Encore 33/1. I wrote a piece on him earlier in the week,

From the Hennessy I've looked at Regal Encore and Total Recall. Regal Encore is certainly weighted to reverse from that being 10lb better off for 9 lengths and certainly at this trip I always use 0.5lb to a length as a rough guide unless its Heavy Ground then I'd double it. Regal Encore generally 33/1 and can be considered value but I don't think he'll be too far removed from that on the day so I wouldn't be pulling the trigger just yet. He finished 8th in last years Nash which at first glance may put you off however in context of what that means he was less than 2 lengths away from 6th which most firms will pay 6 places on the day. Its also notable and you could consider that he was "held up and staying on" which is a little different from the others OFA And CoC (1st and 2nd) don't run. Saint Are 3rd was staying on however I think its safe to say that the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th, placed finishers all held their respective chances turning in and appeared to not get home ( I could make excuses for some if pushed on it) . In other words he hasn't been beaten because he failed to stay.If anything he was probably held up too far back he was still in the back line of horses roughly 30-40L off the leaders he made up a lot of ground just before they turned for home and then looked held for a while but if you take a look at his position after the last fence he still looks about 15L down on the likes of Pleasant Company and Vieux lion rouge but by the line he's right up their backsides. As a first attempt at the National I'm thinking they've held him up trying to make sure he see's out the trip (always a bad/false strategy in my view) I'm wondering if now he's proven to have seen it out whether they may make a bit more use of him this year or even if the ground is a bit more testing whether that would help. Last year he took in a run at Cheltenham before hand when Pulling up in the plate this year looks a lot more like he's more been completely laid out for the Nash and certainly looks a bit better than last years efforts where he'd pulled up 3 times. He comes in this year off the back of a win in a Handicap just after the weights were set. Whilst that win was comparable, beating Minella Daddy, around Ascot (mirror result of some 14 month earlier) may suggest he's not progressed I have his 3rd in the Hennessey by far the best run he's ever produced figures wise. The more I type the more I talk myself into this one tbh and I'll definitely have some involvement by the day and he'll be one for the combi's I'm sure.

Total Recall on the other hand whilst I admit I've been impressed with what he's done so far ( I must have been to have a small involvement on him at some point) I'm drawing the Conclusion that he won't get the trip or if he does he's an unbelievable animal. I've noted from watching the replays that he's a very keen going sort. His spin over hurdles in Ireland he was entitled to be very keen as he was a class above his rivals and I wouldn't have though anything there could make him raise a gallop. However, both the Hennessey and The Gold cup were run at Grd1 pace and he was still fairly keen to my eye. We didn't get to see how he'd finish at Cheltenham and he did stay on strongly in the Hennessy but there is another mile here and he's not as well Handicapped as pointed out by my view of Regal Encore.

So 5 places NRNB with 365 for the nash runners.

Regal encore 33/1 £15 e/w double Ghaiyyath 25/1 (Derby) 3 places 5th
Saint Are 66/1 £10 e/w double Ghaiyyath 25/1 (Derby) 3 places 5th.

Wincanton 3:15 Agincourt Reef. 33/1 (Each Way)

I have seen worse 33/1 chances! He needs forgiving the last two runs. I reckon he needed them. His handicap rating looks more than fair. The heavy ground is a question mark, but on the limited occasions he went on soft/heavy in 2016, he won and finished second a couple of times. He's never really encountered that ground since then, but I fancy he's one of those rare lower-grade types, that can act on this when he races on it. The claimer takes off seven pounds which is less weight on his back. All in all, I think 33/1 is a stonking price for each way purposes, with the 10 runners. Some market support would be good to see.

Last edited:
Ludlow 5.05 Crazy Jack 33/1 - 4th in this race last year btn 5 1/4L by todays opposing fav Full Throttle. Full Throttle probably could have won further that day but my selection is 13lb better off and has decent course form, that suggests he is overpriced and a drop to this trip will suit.

Chef I've followed you in for a few quid as that's a fair case you make and I've also been able to boost laddies 33's to 40's so fingers crossed mate that you are serving up one of your specials :) (cheesy I know)

I have one big fancy (the market is saying otherwise, though) today.

4.40 Robinshill 40/1 (I took 33s earlier) - I’m inclined to ignore the two Ps in his form as they were both over 2m5f and after a longish break. I’d also strip out his fifth last time as he was always going to be outclassed in the Arkle, also after a long break. That leaves the rest of his chase form this season reading U11 at 2m and he was 4 lengths clear when unseating at the last. He goes in the ground and is a lovely price.

I also have some sickness insurance on Savello (66/1) in the same race as he's miles clear top on his old form and I'd kick myself if he went and won.

Also, at Chelteham I had a small ew double dabble on the two Sizings (Codelco and Platinum) as I had nice ratings for them. They don't look as attractive today in their given races but again if they were both placed and I wasn't on I'd be out on the streets looking for cats to kick.

I put up Diakali on the Aintree thread at 50/1, though he's generally 25/1 now (bits of 28/1). Still a fair each-way price in a moody race.

Back