The Long Shot Thread

Also, at Chelteham I had a small ew double dabble on the two Sizings (Codelco and Platinum) as I had nice ratings for them. They don't look as attractive today in their given races but again if they were both placed and I wasn't on I'd be out on the streets looking for cats to kick.

Fvcking fourth (I was on at 100/1 & 20/1). I was on Codelco at 50s in the Ultima. If he'd run there the way he ran here he'd have gone very close. Mind you, he also stookied every other fence at Cheltenham. If he could jump he'd be dangerous.

Des as I know you were slightly interested in Road to riches I had a small interest at 66/1 with Bet365 which I've cashed out for the same value. Ladbrokes are 80/1 but if you can get the price boosts they offer that goes to 100/1 so I've replaced my voucher with that.

I'll add one or two more as I come across them but first up today is:

1.45 Sumkindofking 20/1 - not my main bet in the race because of the trainer's form but I'd otherwise be all over this one like a rash. Tom George had four runners on Thursday. One was pulled up and the others were beaten 38L, 29L and 40L. Of his four other runners going back to 31 March, two pulled up and the others were beaten 74L and 32L. How on earth he got Summerville Boy to win the Supreme beggars belief. Sumkindofking can therefore only carry a saver. I presume he’s been trained for this all year. He was sent off 8/1 co-fav for this race last year off 4lbs higher but he might need better ground anyway.

Next up...

4.05 Art Mauresque 20/1 - this is one of my two main bets in the race (the other is Theatre Territory). I've always had good figures for this one but he's obviously had issues, being so lightly raced. His first run this season was in the good hundred-grander at Ascot won by Go conquer but he fell at the first and then was off for a while. His two runs since the turn of the year don't read at all badly now, beaten 8L by Waiting Patiently and then doing a bit much close to the pace in the Betdaq, also worth £100k. He also jumped left in those races and his early-career peaks were at left-handed tracks. If he can improve for going left-handed again he could easily win. Of course, he'll have to jump but that's the game, innit?

Next...

5.15 Al Dancer 40/1 - NTD tends to send his better horses to this race so with the first-time hood he's a lovely each-way price.

Next up...

4.05 Art Mauresque 20/1 - this is one of my two main bets in the race (the other is Theatre Territory). I've always had good figures for this one but he's obviously had issues, being so lightly raced. His first run this season was in the good hundred-grander at Ascot won by Go conquer but he fell at the first and then was off for a while. His two runs since the turn of the year don't read at all badly now, beaten 8L by Waiting Patiently and then doing a bit much close to the pace in the Betdaq, also worth £100k. He also jumped left in those races and his early-career peaks were at left-handed tracks. If he can improve for going left-handed again he could easily win. Of course, he'll have to jump but that's the game, innit?

I've taken small bets at nice prices to back up the main two:

Eastlake 28/1
Rogue Angel 33/1
Shanahan's Turn 20/1

For the most part they're sickness insurance as they owe me but I've been backing them because they are very well handicapped on their best old form. Shanahan's Turn is maybe the least fanciable of the three, certainly at the prices as I was hoping for 40/1, but I backed him at the festival at 66/1 for the Brown Advisory when he travelled very sweetly for a long way. I'd be pig-sick if he won and I wasn't on.

Good luck Des glad to see you putting up Art Mauresque I put it up earlier in the week on the Aintree thread but I have to say I've been put off a little by testing conditions. I haven't got a single on him but he's in plenty of e/w doubles with a fair few National Fancies (It was actually a permed Trixie with Kings Socks yesterday but that sod bit the dust) So I'd be happy to see him win.

I have a fairly light day today but I do like Jester Jet 25/1 in the first. Put up a fantastic effort for a long way when behind Arthurs Gift at Cheltenham over 3 mile just failing to last home in testing conditions but put up a big figure. Was dropped back to 2m4f where I really fancied it in a mares race but I personally thought the ride was pathetic as they went at a crawl and the Jockey just seemed happy to sit rather than to make use of the horses stamina. I'd hope they go hard here and if so I think Jester Jet has a cracking chance.

I put up Le prezien earlier in the week I think there is 20's still available. If his jumping holds up I still think that is a fair price although I have a bet on the nut at 33's as I think he's an all or nothing job. I.e his jumping holds he runs big, his jumping doesn't hold he finishes well beaten.

I was going to put up Mystifiable in the Topham but the price has long gone and with conditions seeming to get worse I think he's a solid chance of a place but little chance of the win and he's too short odds for me to get involved with that opinion. I like your Theatre Territory as well Des.

Sorry its brief but I'm short on time. Jester Jet I feel is a fairly solid proposition.

Next up...

Just announced as a NR

4.05 Flying Eagle 40/1 small e/way - Trainer Peter Bowen has a great record in the race - no runners for the last 4 years but from 2006 to 2013 inclusive his record is 4th - 1st - fell - 4th - 1st - 1st - 1st & 5th thanks mainly to Always Waining and Dunbrody Miller. I'm hoping he has found another horse to follow in their hoofprints. With most bookies paying 5 or 6 places I have to have a go.

Good luck Des glad to see you putting up Art Mauresque I put it up earlier in the week on the Aintree thread but I have to say I've been put off a little by testing conditions. I haven't got a single on him but he's in plenty of e/w doubles with a fair few National Fancies (It was actually a permed Trixie with Kings Socks yesterday but that sod bit the dust) So I'd be happy to see him win.

I have a fairly light day today but I do like Jester Jet 25/1 in the first. Put up a fantastic effort for a long way when behind Arthurs Gift at Cheltenham over 3 mile just failing to last home in testing conditions but put up a big figure. Was dropped back to 2m4f where I really fancied it in a mares race but I personally thought the ride was pathetic as they went at a crawl and the Jockey just seemed happy to sit rather than to make use of the horses stamina. I'd hope they go hard here and if so I think Jester Jet has a cracking chance.

I put up Le prezien earlier in the week I think there is 20's still available. If his jumping holds up I still think that is a fair price although I have a bet on the nut at 33's as I think he's an all or nothing job. I.e his jumping holds he runs big, his jumping doesn't hold he finishes well beaten.

I was going to put up Mystifiable in the Topham but the price has long gone and with conditions seeming to get worse I think he's a solid chance of a place but little chance of the win and he's too short odds for me to get involved with that opinion. I like your Theatre Territory as well Des.

Sorry its brief but I'm short on time. Jester Jet I feel is a fairly solid proposition.

Bravo

You called it, Danny!! Brilliant shout. Well done.

2.00 Fighting Back

(I did back it in the 4 place market too, now I'm off to celebrate with my small winnings in the Aftertimers Arms)

Last edited:
Cheers lads, Although I have the feeling Le prezien will put himself through a few fences he'd be a big result should he oblige. Fingers crossed and Prayer mats out haha.

Back