The Long Shot Thread

Sothwell 5.10 Voila Eric 40/1 - Finished 2 nd in a point-to-point 2L behind Report To Base (139 sadly killed at the festival this year) 25L back in 3rd was Brave Eagle (144) The selection came out in a NHF race l/t/o not unfancied but was tailed off. Too early imo to write him off, if trainer has sorted out his problems he may surprise?

Cheers, Chef! Followed you in for a wee profit. :)

Cheltenham 4.55 Goohar 25/1 - has decent course form but in an amateur jockeys race I tend to look at the jockey and his pilot is 3 wins from 5 races under rules
and 2 from 2 in h'caps including 1 on this horse. With jockey claim Goohar is 9lb better off for finishing 3rd over c/d & going in a class 3 0-135 btn 5 1/2L in April 2017this race is a 0-125. If fit first time out he could be well in?

Short notice so hopefully not too much damage done but in this 3.10 race at Cheltenham I've backed Roi De Dubai and Golden Birthday at nice prices. They're better than their odds, I think.

Cheltenham 4.55 Goohar 25/1 - has decent course form but in an amateur jockeys race I tend to look at the jockey and his pilot is 3 wins from 5 races under rules
and 2 from 2 in h'caps including 1 on this horse. With jockey claim Goohar is 9lb better off for finishing 3rd over c/d & going in a class 3 0-135 btn 5 1/2L in April 2017this race is a 0-125. If fit first time out he could be well in?

Following you in there. The Daly stable has been amongst the winners recently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oighear Dubh has been running ok in Ireland without winning but gives the impression a tougher task might be what he actually needs...33/1 on the machine and 4/1 for 5 places is my bet

ORNATE (Don 3:25) is a nice price at Doncaster in the sprint. Rated as high as 110 but now down to a mark of 94. He changed hands to Robert Cowell earlier this season, starting to look well handicapped after two wind operations. He reminds me, (in terms of profile) of Danzeno before his handicap successes last season, in that he has the listed & group three form, but now on a much lower rating for handicap events. He really just needs to put his best form in again. Some good money for him in the market tonight and very little 20/1 left. Andrea Atzeni booked to ride can't be a bad thing. Also reckon Domesday Book is a stupid price in the first at Cheltenham, mentioned him on the other thread. Let's hope I do better than in recent months with these two both each way.

Last edited:
This was some longshot bet!

One lucky punter based in Newcastle has unbelievably gone and won £307,087.81 after landing five winners from Thursday's meeting at Chelmsford. These five winners were put in a Lucky 63 accumulator placed at a Coral shop in Throckley, Tyne and Wear, where the customer only staked £6.20 which is remarkable.

A Lucky 63 is a bet made up of 63 bets which involve 6 selections in different events. The bet includes 6 singles, 15 doubles, 20 trebles, 15 four-folds, 6 five folds and a sixfold accumulator.

The first horse that started the bet off was the biggest odds of the lot and amazingly Ask The Meter in the 6.15 went on to win the race at odds of 150/1. From there he went on to land a further four selections that all landed at the Chelmsford track and landed the unnamed punter his big payday.

(Credit Racing Post)David Stevens from Coral today said: “The customer is a regular in this shop and, as far as we know right now, he doesn’t know he’s won this huge amount, as he hasn’t been back to the shop to check the results yet. He’s in for a wonderful surprise when he does come in.

“It’s rare enough that a 150-1 shot wins, so for The Meter to win at those odds and then set the ball rolling on this remarkable bet, which also included winners at 14-1 and 12-1, makes this one of the most – if not the most – spectacular winning bets we have ever seen.

“There was a further twist in that the punter actually staked the bet as if it was a 10p each-way Lucky 31, featuring five selections, so because he included six selections to make it a Lucky 63, the bet was settled in proportion, at 56 per cent, but either way we’re sure the customer will be delighted with his evening’s work. We look forward to congratulating him on his extraordinary foresight!”

Here is the man's selections in order of how they ran:

The Meter won at 150-1, Chelmsford 6.15
Dollar Value won at 14-1, Chelmsford 6.45
Full Intention won at 12-1, Chelmsford 7.15
Rampant Lion loser, Chelmsford 7.45
It’s Not Unusual won at 8-1, Chelmsford 8.15
Victoria Drummond won at 14-1, Chelmsford 8.45

I have a free bet going on from Pearl Of The West so I've stuck it on You Never Can Tell 25/1 in the next race.

Well, you never can tell :lol:

Last edited:
Wow, fair play to Tarboosh backers. He has been in cracking form the past few runs hasn't he.

Last edited:
Bangor 1.05 Chambard 25/1 missed a season butlast two races in France he beat Countister in a Grade 3 bumber and was beaten in a photo giving weight to Cut The Mustard.

Nermarket 2.15

Taking an absolute flyer with Petite Jack at 25/1 off a mark of 88. He's only had 6 turf runs and has won off 102 on the all weather. He was a non runner last month on turf because of soft going so presumably he will only run if the ground is good enough. One of those horses that would be easy to back with hindsight the day he does take advantage of his mark.

Nermarket 2.15

Taking an absolute flyer with Petite Jack at 25/1 off a mark of 88. He's only had 6 turf runs and has won off 102 on the all weather. He was a non runner last month on turf because of soft going so presumably he will only run if the ground is good enough. One of those horses that would be easy to back with hindsight the day he does take advantage of his mark.

Very much my kind of longshot, Slim.

Paved Paradise Dundalk 7.30 .33/1 ew
Ran very well in a maiden behind Lost Treasure at The Curragh the day most of you were watching Pope Francis trying to defy a penalty at Phoenix Park
First handicap off 50 which looks generous and well drawn in 4.

His Holiness was under a double penalty and a more vigorous ride than a confession box in the 60s...

Last edited:
Red all star 600d.
Likes to lead and drop back to 5f should help.25/1 or 22/1 4places.
Could get squeaky bum time close home.

5th

Last edited:
paved paradise dundalk 7.30 .33/1 ew
ran very well in a maiden behind lost treasure at the curragh the day most of you were watching pope francis trying to defy a penalty at phoenix park
first handicap off 50 which looks generous and well drawn in 4.

boom baby,thanks edgt

Paved Paradise Dundalk 7.30 .33/1 ew
Ran very well in a maiden behind Lost Treasure at The Curragh the day most of you were watching Pope Francis trying to defy a penalty at Phoenix Park
First handicap off 50 which looks generous and well drawn in 4.

Good lord Jesus. That's a shout for the ******* ages...

Well done Eddie. Made a right good case for it.

Back