The Long Shot Thread

I suspect this one might shorten up this evening/overninght/tomorrow.

If it doesn't we can probably forget it but I've taken the price anyway.

Sandown 3.00 Coole Cody 33/1, 5 places - a few pounds lower than when second in this valuable race last season off disappointing form. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the seasonal target, given the prize, and I can see punters latching on to it.

I haven't yet decided if I'll back anything else in the race but it's so valuable and competitive they should all be trying.

I've dug up another. It's probably a right dug but I can't resist...

Musselburgh 3.15 - Blow By Blow 40/1 - I backed this when it won the Martin Pipe a couple of years ago so that's probably a factor in my backing it here. It went up 152 over hurdles for that but hasn't done much since. It took in the Grand National but had a nightmare there and is probably now a scunnered beast. However, Giggi held on to it until October there and it now runs off 122 following a string of poor runs. This is simply a leap of faith that the change of scenery to a very small yard will work one day and I want to be on when it does! I've taken it in an ew double with Coole Cody above to very small stakes.

Sandown 3.00 Coole Cody 33/1, 5 places - a few pounds lower than when second in this valuable race last season off disappointing form. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the seasonal target, given the prize, and I can see punters latching on to it.

Hmm... blue pretty much across the board already :ninja:

i'd love to have a Ferrari, even a slightly used one and have determined that I will lump the outrageous suggestions put forward by Reet and Desert Orchid in a multiple EW trixie and with the slightly less adventurous Silver Sheen in the 2.30 Leop. on Sunday in an EW yankee. Even with very small stakes, if all were to win the result would be a decent six figure number. I haven't lost my mind completely, but have decided that today I must be optimistic for the future, whatever my brain tells me.

Last edited:
DO.
Whilst it takes me six hours to mow the lawn when the racing and football are on the telly, estate is probably not right word. However at 100 plus per hour, with my driving skills and you reading the satnav, a decent spin would be fun!

I've dug up another. It's probably a right dug but I can't resist...

Musselburgh 3.15 - Blow By Blow 40/1 - I backed this when it won the Martin Pipe a couple of years ago so that's probably a factor in my backing it here. It went up 152 over hurdles for that but hasn't done much since. It took in the Grand National but had a nightmare there and is probably now a scunnered beast. However, Giggi held on to it until October there and it now runs off 122 following a string of poor runs. This is simply a leap of faith that the change of scenery to a very small yard will work one day and I want to be on when it does! I've taken it in an ew double with Coole Cody above to very small stakes.
He's supposedly got a severe wind issue. Sold for 5k or so last year which is crazy on the face of it given his exploits 18 months beforehand.

DO.
Whilst it takes me six hours to mow the lawn when the racing and football are on the telly, estate is probably not right word. However at 100 plus per hour, with my driving skills and you reading the satnav, a decent spin would be fun!

:)

I gave up mowing the lawn a couple of years ago. Between getting the mower and strimmer ready, filling them with petrol, cutting the grass, tidying up and showering afterwards, it was two hours out of my life each time, followed by a few days of painkillers.

Then my doctor said I needed to avoid that kind of exertion so I found a guy who did the lot in half the time for a very acceptable amount of money and have left him to it ever since.

I recommend such an approach!

We had a gardener but stopped using him for various reasons which I won't put on here. Never had the time when I worked but I actually enjoy most of the work involved and have some decent boy's toys that make it easier.My doc. agreed with me that the physical aspect was beneficial so I do the upkeep and the missus does the flowers. Cricket on the radio and I'm happy.

Getting back on topic...

I held back on this one until this morning to see if it drifted enough to qualify for the thread, which it has so I've backed it and included it in multiples with the others (Tout Seul, I'll see your Ferrari and raise you a villa in Spain).

Sandown 1.15 Diakali 20/1 - only two places for each-way betting is slightly disappointing but I think first time up may be the time to catch this one right and Moore loves plotting up Sandown winners. On his very best form Diakali will run this lot into oblivion, it's just a question of whether he's anywhere near his best. I'm prepared to pay to find out.

Wetherby 2.45 Just Your Type 20/1 - has run 3 times over 4m in his last 5 races, including showing up well for a long way in the Festival 4 miler. His penultimate run over 3m he broke the heart of his 137 rated opponent off level weights and his last race he didn't stand a chance trying to give weight to the admirable Sam Brown now rated 152. The selection was rated 134 over hurdles so should be a mid 140's rated chaser. I believe he has achieved that level a couple of times already, but his performances have been disguised by the races he has run in, and his odds are generous.

I hadn't looked at the Leopardstown card so wasn't aware that Duc Des Genievres (25/1) was running.

He clearly has a lot on his plate given the quality of opponent. Ruby Walsh often says we'd be hailing Min as something special had he not been up against Altior through his career yet Townend rides Chacun Pour Soi here. Is Min being saved for Cheltenham, Aintree and Punchestown? That wouldn't surprise me in the least.

It may have been a substandard Arkle last year but I had Duc Des Genievres 8lbs clear and potentially a right good thing. If he makes 'normal' progress into his second season he could end up a mid-170s horse. He got off to a disappointing start but there was a lot to like about the way he travelled last time and I think they've just been bringing him along steadily because they know they have a championship contender.

At 25/1 today, he might still have something bigger in mind down the line (Cheltenham again) but I have to be on him at those odds.

If I lump him in with the others, £1 could easily get me £1m...

("Easily" meaning the odds will be well over 1m/1, not that any of them will win win easily.)

Wetherby 2.45 Just Your Type 20/1 - has run 3 times over 4m in his last 5 races, including showing up well for a long way in the Festival 4 miler. His penultimate run over 3m he broke the heart of his 137 rated opponent off level weights and his last race he didn't stand a chance trying to give weight to the admirable Sam Brown now rated 152. The selection was rated 134 over hurdles so should be a mid 140's rated chaser. I believe he has achieved that level a couple of times already, but his performances have been disguised by the races he has run in, and his odds are generous.

I'm with you on this one, Chef. Good luck :)

I haven't yet decided if I'll back anything else in the race but it's so valuable and competitive they should all be trying.

Snatched up when the winner came up his inner. I thought Schofield left enough of a gap so can’t see Jack Tudor did anything wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coole Cody definitely trying and that's all I'll ever ask.

I wouldn't blame Tudor too much for the situation on the turn for home. I think CC probably did too much following the pace and didn't have the energy to hold his place when things got tight but I think it was the one on his outside that caused the squeezing.

Coole Cody will drop a few more pounds for this and should be competitive off a less fierce gallop.

I think it's safe to say Blow By Blow isn't the horse he was.

It also looked like his stamina completely gave out over a mile out.

If they can sort his breathing properly he might still have a small race in him at les than three miles.

Leo 2.30 Oscar Knight 50/1 (Sky going 6 places) - 5lbs lower than when a very creditable second to the lobbed-in Total Recall in this race last year. Not in good form so it's a leap of faith.

Back