The Road to the 2012 2000 Guineas

Camelot showed more speed than SNA ever had; off a slow pace and on fastish ground he had the RPT easily put to bed fully 2 from home.
The majority of those he beat (out of sight) haven't run since, one the comfortable winner of a minor listed, the only other much closer to French Fifteen (himself a best priced 12/1).
Maybe those bandying the fancy prices about Camelot ought to start talking with their wallets?

I think if you look back on the forum we had exactly the same last year..oooh SNA isn't yer ordinary staying RPT winner..oooh he's got loads of speed off that slow pace in the RPT

RPT winners don't win Guineas as they haven't got speed for it..RPT is a mile and half pointer race..always has been

12/1 isn't a fancy price..its what i see as correct

you must be balls deep on Camelot i assume..best of luck with it me old..you will need it

Camelot showed more speed than SNA ever had; off a slow pace and on fastish ground he had the RPT easily put to bed fully 2 from home.
The majority of those he beat (out of sight) haven't run since, one the comfortable winner of a minor listed, the only other much closer to French Fifteen (himself a best priced 12/1).
Maybe those bandying the fancy prices about Camelot ought to start talking with their wallets?

Every horse he beat in his maiden has had at least one start with the most being four!!!. The highest rated of those the 80 rated Canary Wharf finally won a Wolverhampton maiden in January by a sht hd. All the others are still looking for that elusive first win. Zip Top who was 2nd in the RP was destroyed by Crius (3,5 lengths) and Fire Lily by 20 lengths with four others between him and the winner before that. Fencing, Telwar and, Learn are good 3yo's in a large 3yo population no more no less. There are many I would rate higher than those.

Last edited:
Conduit was a real money spinner for me, those type of overrated slow boats usually are.

Aye, as a " very fortunate winner" of his first Breeder's Cup, you must have made a mint laying him for his second.:lol:

EC
I'm aware of the merit of the RP Trophy as a Derby Pointer, but I'm also aware that it's usually an attritional race run on late season ground. Last year's was different.
I rarely back ante-post, and wouldn't dream of betting Camelot for the Guineas until I know the field and the ground.
Having said that, he looks much the likeliest winner at this stage, and 6/4 on the day might be finding money in the street.

Last edited:
Reet; in contrast to you I am never very dogmatic about anything in this sport. That Breeders Cup Turf was weak that year and considering that the US tote odds on Conduit were almost 3/1 I availed myself of that price in no uncertain measure. Then I had to sweat it out as that slow boat had to get the royal treatment form Mr. Moore to beat an american rag on the line.

Last edited:
Aye, as a " very fortunate winner" of his first Breeder's Cup, you must have made a mint laying him for his second.:lol:

EC
I'm aware of the merit of the RP Trophy as a Derby Pointer, but I'm also aware that it's usually an attritional race run on late season ground. Last year's was different.
I rarely back ante-post, and wouldn't dream of betting Camelot for the Guineas until I know the field and the ground.
Having said that, he looks much the likeliest winner at this stage, and 6/4 on the day might be finding money in the street.

i just can't have it Reet..good luck an all that but not for me

yes i know you have to take them as individuals but it is very similar to SNA and history of RPT sways me well away from this profile of horse for the guineas

it might be that Camelot is the next super horse..but % call he isn't

I’ve not seen too much to worry about from the exposed participants, so if there are dangers I think they'll come from the less exposed headed by the likes of Tales Of Grimm.

RP reports that Stoute isn't too keen on running Tales of Grimm having missed his prep.

Into evens now with Ladbrokes which is just ridiculous. Fully justified favourite given the doubt over the next three in the betting but far far too short. He's a 7/2 chance at best.

Going to get stuck into French Fifteen and Trumpet Major more and more as the day gets closer. Already backed TM and Abtaal but can't understand how Abtaal is now shorter than FF.

Suggestions that Abtaal will come on more for his run in the Djebel might be playing into it, but 3pts shorter seems strange alright.

Profile is not dissimilar to Henry the Navigator and he's a similar price heading into the guineas. On paper he's the likelier guineas type and with this stable the second strings have plenty of success.

Re: Abtaal - I'm pleased to see the price contract. Given my position and the prices I've taken I should be able to lay off some of my stake and minimise my risk given he's still not a definite starter.

6/4 is a horrible price for Camelot but 3/1 is not much better. 6/1-10/1 would be more like it in my book. What type of evidence are you going on with this horse because what he has shown on track doesn't come within a New York mile of winning this race. This has St. Nick Abbey Pt. 2 written all over it.

We must of course remind ourselves that St Nicholas Abbey is another horse. He wasn’t ready for the Guineas and O’Brien has admitted to pushing him into the race. They won’t want to do this again. Reports suggest Camelot is further forward at this stage, he looked very good at Doncaster and the Guineas trials this term have not appeared anything special.

I’ve averaged a little above 3/1 on Camelot and at that price am all over him. I won’t go shorter as I reckon two or three others should be much shorter than they are and I’ve got time to cover myself with these if necessary.

Into evens now with Ladbrokes which is just ridiculous. Fully justified favourite given the doubt over the next three in the betting but far far too short. He's a 7/2 chance at best.

Going to get stuck into French Fifteen and Trumpet Major more and more as the day gets closer. Already backed TM and Abtaal but can't understand how Abtaal is now shorter than FF.

Power quoted at 14's with Ladbrokes. Maybe they know something and Power isn't up to much.

We must of course remind ourselves that St Nicholas Abbey is another horse. He wasn’t ready for the Guineas and O’Brien has admitted to pushing him into the race. They won’t want to do this again. Reports suggest Camelot is further forward at this stage, he looked very good at Doncaster and the Guineas trials this term have not appeared anything special.

I’ve averaged a little above 3/1 on Camelot and at that price am all over him. I won’t go shorter as I reckon two or three others should be much shorter than they are and I’ve got time to cover myself with these if necessary.

if SNA had been 110% he wouldn't have won the guineas

He might have looked good at Donny but he doesn't really show any superior time in that and the horses he beat weren't up to much. Started life in what can now only be called a poor mile maiden and then went to the racing post trophy where the level of competition doesn't look so hot now either.. As EC1 has stated hardly the profile of a guineas winner

I've just gone thru the list of winners of the RP since 1990 and the two winners that stand out by a long way are Motivator and High Chaparral, hardly Guineas material. King's Theatre another winner and a very good horse won his Craven and was then thrashed in the Guineas. Celtic Swing came closest but even at 4/5 he could not take it. I'm sure if I looked to see how many of the others ran in the Guineas there would be quite a bit of deadwood.

As you say we must of course remind ourselves that none of these was Camelot. Just hope that's not your only argument, as I have not seen anything else or I plain missed it.

if SNA had been 110% he wouldn't have won the guineas

That may well be true (and is also my view) as he was a middle distance type that never ran at a mile again. But as he was pushed into the race before he was ready we'll never really know.

He might have looked good at Donny but he doesn't really show any superior time in that and the horses he beat weren't up to much. Started life in what can now only be called a poor mile maiden and then went to the racing post trophy where the level of competition doesn't look so hot now either.. As EC1 has stated hardly the profile of a guineas winner

I've just gone thru the list of winners of the RP since 1990 and the two winners that stand out by a long way are Motivator and High Chaparral, hardly Guineas material. King's Theatre another winner and a very good horse won his Craven and was then thrashed in the Guineas. Celtic Swing came closest but even at 4/5 he could not take it. I'm sure if I looked to see how many of the others ran in the Guineas there would be quite a bit of deadwood.

As you say we must of course remind ourselves that none of these was Camelot. Just hope that's not your only argument, as I have not seen anything else or I plain missed it.

Like I say I'll be betting against him at current odds from a choice of two or three I've sorted out that should be better suited to a mile and have longer prices than chances. I am not putting Camelot up as the most obvious of milers, but at 3/1 (as I said at the beginning of this thread) I believe he may prove good enough as I believe he is a superior individual to his more exposed rivals. However some of the unexposed Guineas hopefuls interest me more this year.

Back