The Road To The 2012 Champion Hurdle

Listen, I'm not suggesting he didn't know he was a top-drawer horse - only that Mullins perhaps didn't fully appreciate just how good he was.

Regardless, I'm hardly going go try to convince you it's the case, am I? :cool:

Last edited:
He hasn't been on a racecourse since that Punchestown defeat behind HF in 2010, Simon, and I've not heard anything about him this season.

Where is Punjabi? I thought he was going chasing this year.

From the Sporting Life:

PUNJABI SIDELINED AGAIN
Connections of 2009 Champion Hurdle hero Punjabi have confirmed the gelding will once again miss the entire season through injury.
The nine-year-old has not been seen since finishing well beaten at the 2010 Punchestown Festival, with a setback ruling him out of an intended novice chasing campaign last season.
Nicky Henderson and his team had hoped Punjabi would start off his career over fences this time around and he had even started schooling over the larger obstacles, but another injury has left him on the sidelines once again.
Tony Stafford, racing manager for owner Raymond Tooth, said: "He had a setback and unfortunately he is out for the season again.
"It wasn't the same injury as before but with horses like him who have had time off, you need to be 100% sure they are right before you bring them back.
"It's disappointing as I know he had schooled really well over fences. Tony McCoy schooled him one day and was delighted with the way he jumped.
"He's a Champion Hurdle winner and when you have a horse like that, you don't want to jeopardise their future health in any way.
"It probably isn't a serious injury, but he needs time to recover and there is no point bringing him back in May.
"Hopefully we can bring him back into training at the end of the summer and have another go."

I realise I'm in the fundamentalist wing when it comes to Hurricane Fly, but is it possible that Mullins thinks he has a genuine, genuine superstar on his hands, and he wants him 101% straight every time he runs, in order that he can demonstrate the full depth of his talent?

No - He's just difficult to train and Mullins is quoted as saying he tries too hard when he is working and can over extend himself before he even gets to the track. Hence its a balancing act. To summarise - He's a Montjeu and he's mental.

I've watched the Triumph again and am increasingly coming to the conclusion that, Hurricane Fly aside, Zarkandar is the one.

I remembered he won the Triumph well but, having seen it again, I was forgetting how easily. He never looked in danger at any stage.

No - not fragile exactly although he clearly isn't the most robust. Very very highly strung might be another way of putting it. Or over enthusiastic? I'm definitely not questioning whether he's genuine, i'm almost saying he tries too hard for his own good. At least that's what Mullins seemed to be indicating when interviewed.

He would probably need a rocket launcher up his backside to win an Irish Champion Hurdle.

RP reporting that spirit son could return in the Irish champion hurdle.

Can't see this happening in a million years. I'd be very very surprised if Henderson took him over to Ireland to take on Hurricane Fly first time out.

I would have thought he'd go to Sandown for the Contenders Hurdle, Binocular to Leopardstown and Grandoeut to Wincanton for the Kingwell.

VLV being pointed at the Irish Champion. Shaping up to be a belter of a race!!

Absolutely, looking like a cracker. Massive anticipation on the Fly's return and a chance for a few of the young pretenders to step up to the mark. Cannot wait meself. At least Sir Tom has joined me as the world's only Oscars Well fan so hopefully he can step up again on his previous run :):)

I've watched the Triumph again and am increasingly coming to the conclusion that, Hurricane Fly aside, Zarkandar is the one.

I remembered he won the Triumph well but, having seen it again, I was forgetting how easily. He never looked in danger at any stage.

Totally agree

Betfair have reported that Spirit Son's odds have drifted overnight for the Stan James Champion Hurdle.

Second in the Supreme Novices' at last season's Cheltenham Festival, hopes had been high at the start of the season that the six year old could develop into Nicky Henderson's principal Champion Hurdle contender.

The six year old has yet to make it onto the racecourse this season but reportedly impressed in his work at Seven Barrows earlier in the week ahead of possible assignments in the Irish Champion or the Contenders Hurdle at Sandown with the latter deemed the more likely target.

Despite that, however, Sprit Son - a general 7-1 chance with the bookmakers - has drifted to a high of 25 in Betfair's win market and 6 in their place market and is still available at double figure prices.

Think he has had a problem after his gallop on Thursday. Not sure what or how serious though.

The market is hardly very optimistic and I wouldn't be backing him until we have heard what the problem is.

Rumours circulating that Spirit Son saw a clip of last year's Champion Hurdle, and is currently being treated for Hysterical Incontinence Syndrome.
:cool:

Rumours circulating that Spirit Son saw a clip of last year's Champion Hurdle, and is currently being treated for Hysterical Incontinence Syndrome.
:cool:

:lol:

Its such a bloody shame - better to not wreck him forever by trying and its not like hes died, but still a shitty shame for everyone.

Back