The Road to the 2012 King George

I'm not sure whether to be pleased at reading the discouraging remarks about LR on here, or not so pleased.

I'm pleased because, if this is a random sample of what punters think, I'll be able to avail the bookies of some very generous prices for the KG, which I think he'll win given he looked 80 percent fit today.

Or not pleased because decent judges like EC1 are going to abandon him! Don't do it EC1, he'll be a different horse when 100 percent fit.

He hasn't exactly lost nothing in defeat reputation-wise, but looking at it objectively and using my two eyes, if that is him at what looked about 80 per cent he can still win the KG.

Last edited:
I'm not sure whether to be pleased at reading the discouraging remarks about LR on here, or not so pleased.

I'm pleased because, if this is a random sample of what punters think, I'll be able to avail the bookies of some very generous prices for the KG, which I think he'll win given he looked 80 perecent fit today.

Or not pleased because decent judges like EC1 are going to abandon him! Don't do it EC1, he'll be a different horse when 100 perecent fit.

He hasn't exactly lost nothing in defeat reputation wise, but looking at it objectively and using my two eyes, if that is him at what looked about 80 per cent he can still win the KG.

Agree with this but again today imo the difference is the jockey and how many times can you keep accepting the man on top.

Agree with this but again today imo the difference is the jockey and how many times can you keep accepting the man on top.

I'd agree with that about the jockey.How many times fitness can be used an excuse for deficiencies in technique baffles me.

Fair enough. The amount of momentutm he lost just before and after a fence was massive. I think horses usually do that when their tired.

But with his history of doing this my theory might be questionable, you might just say he's a bad jumper. I have to say after checking his odds I was expecting bigger than best priced 9/2 for the KG.

I'll wait for bigger odds on the day.

Last edited:
I'd agree with that about the jockey.How many times fitness can be used an excuse for deficiencies in technique baffles me.

Don't even think today was about technique for me he allowed the race to be run at a farce which could never have suited the horse. Even allowing for not front-running him why would he not put more pressure on Ruby and SC when on a proven stayer.

I'm pleased because, if this is a random sample of what punters think, I'll be able to avail the bookies of some very generous prices for the KG, which I think he'll win given he looked 80 percent fit today.

Or not pleased because decent judges like EC1 are going to abandon him! Don't do it EC1, he'll be a different horse when 100 percent fit.

He hasn't exactly lost nothing in defeat reputation-wise, but looking at it objectively and using my two eyes, if that is him at what looked about 80 per cent he can still win the KG.

i'm going to have to desert him Marb..yes i know it was FTO but this run isn't near his run in it last year ..when he lost a good few lengths with his jumps... his effort here looks like it did in the GC..he just plods on at the end

He was fit enough just like last year . The problem is that last year the cracking gallop set by Kauto exposed flaws in his jumping this year was again outjumped by a much better jumper of a fence off a sedate pace that then had too much toe for him .

He might win at Kempton - there are a number of ifs and buts about the opposition but if Al Ferof gets 3miles I think he will have too many gears for him .

Good to see Captain Chris jump so much better especially on ground he hates . FR may hate it too but that was a very disappointing display and Geraghty hardly accepted it before the terrible error at the last .

Well I will desert him aswell if one of these cowards won't go bigger than 9/2 five weeks before the race.

The winner looked very good and I'm not saying Long Run will even win the Gold Cup, but the KG is his for the taking.

Last year from memory he put in a couple of howlers in this race. He didn't jump as badly today, it was a tiredness thing imo which was losing him momentum.

Last edited:
There is the possibility that the KG might be another tactical affair if lots of speed horses turn up .

Don't even think today was about technique for me he allowed the race to be run at a farce which could never have suited the horse. Even allowing for not front-running him why would he not put more pressure on Ruby and SC when on a proven stayer.

Agreed

Long Run won't be winning any more GC's..he jumped as well as he has ever jumped there and has found nowt at end

Surely this is too hasty. He did nothing wrong and found one too good (a match fit horse that has already won this season), reversing form with this year's Gold Cup runner-up. It doesn't look bad form to me. Probably right where he should be about now.

Last edited:
Please don't anyone tell me long run will win either a KG or GC again.cant jump.Long Run Long Gone.tacticless ride for me too

Why shouldn't he? He's in a very small handful of the top staying chasers in training and still only seven.

Last edited:
Wouldn't argue with that Trudij but it may have pointed out flaws in the Henderson pair.

Why on earth SWC didn't take SC on down the backside is beyond me. I think everyone saw what was coming bar him.

While Finnian's Rainbow got 2m4f well enough at Aintree today was a much more demanding ask and he failed miserably. Granted Nicky's horses aren't in the best of form but FR seemed to hit a brick wall when stamina came into play. There has to be some doubt about him getting 3 miles.

Not sure about Captain Chris he was probably one of the most disappointing horses of last season but he looked a different horse today. He jumped really well and was always in command but 17 lengths to make up with Long Run is an awful lot plus conditions at Kempton will be a lot different hopefully.

2 horses that might not get the trip are Cue Card and Sizing Europe but I'm beginning to think one of them might pull it off. Cue Card gets 2m4f no problem and it must be said that although Sizing Europe has failed to get the trip twice it was on soft ground.

I've been dead against him going for this but maybe and just maybe he'd get home on good ground. Almost every year it's good to soft or good so there must be a chance despite my previous reservations he'd get home.

Colin Tizzard is not the best pilot in the world, Cue Card would probably be certified by now if he were human but I thought he ran fantastically well in the Arkle even although he was somewhat flattered and that last race of his indicated that he's improving every time he steps on a racecourse.

The Peterborough Chase is said to be where he goes next and he'll need to win easily and not be leaving his race at Huntingdon as it's only a fortnight after to Kempton.

Thing is if he does hack up at Huntingdon he'll be close on fav for the King George. It's still 3 weeks until then so probably a couple of days before the Peterborough when we know for sure he's well and going to run in it is the best time to be backing him for the King george.

Right now Cue Card is the one I fancy most but I'll hold fire as long as I before taking the plunge.

Finnys was never going to go well in the ground they had there, even allowing for my bias!! I was suggesting this to all sorts of people who were touting him as the nailed on horse of the day - and getting poohpoohed, so I gave up. Their money, their choices. Far as Im concerned,most importantly Finnys physically is fine - wether or not he is mentally of course is a different matter - hes a clever clever horse, I just hope its not made him start to think too much.

(of course, we still dont know if he will get 3 miles, i hope he does - but I wouldnt be at all suprised if he doesnt.)

as for Long Run, I dont have a problem with SWC, but I am starting to agree with the "if you want the big prizes again, maybe its time to use someone else" brigade.

Back