The Road to the 2017 Cheltenham Gold Cup

i'm not saying Cue Card will win..but why is soft ground a negative for him do you think?..he won last years Betfair Chase on soft ground head in chest..in fact he has won most of his races on soft ground. From his last 9 wins...5 have come on soft ground
Sorry, I was referring to seeyouatmidnight being suited by soft ground, rather than CC being inconvenienced.

Sent from my SM-G360F using Tapatalk

Sorry, I was referring to seeyouatmidnight being suited by soft ground, rather than CC being inconvenienced.

ok i see

i think at the moment re CC we are all wondering how much he retains of his brilliant best..if he is still the same horse as he was last year then its over..but we all know what happens at some point

i'd like to think if he wasn't showing his brilliant best at home..they would retire him..as he is running..will assume its same package as last year..would take some stopping if so

ok i see

i think at the moment re CC we are all wondering how much he retains of his brilliant best..if he is still the same horse as he was last year then its over..but we all know what happens at some point

i'd like to think if he wasn't showing his brilliant best at home..they would retire him..as he is running..will assume its same package as last year..would take some stopping if so
After seeing him in the Charlie hall, I wonder home much doing the 3 festivals last year took out of him

Very possible he's declined but it didn't help that they went no pace at Wetherby and he was asked to lead earlier than is ideal.

yes for a keen horse//the better pace the better

i still would still like to believe if he wasn't up to his best//they wouldn't run him..then again..maybe the betfair is the race they are using to make that judgement

if he is as good..really good..but if not..i'd rather see him go out like SS has done

Anybody have any concerns regarding the tight nature of the track for Coneygree? Not sure whether it'll suit or not. Seem to remember a similar thing a few years back with Bobs Worth.

I can see Coneygree needing the run this time but not sure I'd regard the tighter track as much of a negative

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another way to look at it it, he has prob been ready to run for a good while now, there is a Million bucks at stake and they aren't going to risk him unless they think he is right

Every chance Cue Card needed the run at Wetherby, I reckon. He only beat Dynaste a little over 3L in the same race last year, and left that form well behind when he ran at Haydock.....and it's not unreasonable to expect a similar level of improvement this time - especially on much softer ground.

I honestly expected to see Cue Card slightly odds-on for this, and having now checked, I'm a little amazed to find that he is available at 7/4. I think that is a knocking price, to be honest.

Coney has had a least two gallops at Haydock, don't see the track being a problem at all

Track won't be a problem (Won at Uttoxer and Kempton) though the trip might be, over a sharp 3m. Made a couple of errors when winning his Kempton novice and was simply done for toe over 2.5 at Cheltenham.
Attritional ground would help his cause greatly.

Last edited:
Aidan Coleman rides Coneygree on Saturday but will be jocked off by Dickie if ground deemed too soft for Menorah

Last edited:
Aidan Coleman rides Coneygree on Saturday but will be jocked off by Dickie if ground deemed too soft for Menorah

Cue Card, Coneygree, Silviniaco Conti, Seeyouatmidnight, Irish Cavalier, Menorah & Vezelay

Shame only 7 runners as would've had a good bash EW on Seeyouadmidnight with 3 places

Race to watch now & personally hope Coneygree bowls along from the front, gets a little tried and Cue Card chins him on the line!

SYAM likely to take on Coneygree for the lead?

after thinking he was too short i'm coming round to the idea of Cue Card but this will likely be a no bet race for me now, especially now the e/w angle is gubbed

Ground update

Haydock had a mixture of heavy showers and sunny intervals, all adding up to 7mm of rain by dusk with a few more showers forecast before midnight.

Clerk of the course Kirkland Tellwright said on Thursday afternoon: "It has been an unpleasant day and we could have 10mm by the end of the day.

"Today was the worst forecast, with 6mm tomorrow and 3mm on Saturday, and we are soft now. If we get all that is forecast we'll be heavy in places on Saturday."

(From RP)

Seeyouatmidnight must go close on that ground. Coneygree obviously would win if fully primed but there has to be a doubt about that.

Back