The Road to the 2017 Cheltenham Gold Cup

Coneygree's t/s figures for his first 3 races; 127; 128; 152.
Thistlecrack;........................................... 66;69; ? (probably less than 3 figures).

Make your own interpretation.

You obviously don't like the horse so will you lay me a price for The Gold Cup?

I'd question that rather than shoot you down. I personally would struggle to back a horse that didn't have the pace to win the 4 miler. But you obviously like the form from that race given that you also think Minella Rocco could enter the frame. I can't personally remember a true GC contender ever emerging from the NH Chase though.

I do I Bear. Native River gave weight away and a very good beating to Blacklion yesterday. I also though Minella Rocco was coming to win his race at Cheltenham the last day before he was hampered. Given Jonjo's are rarely straight first time out I took that as a big positive.

Last season may well be a freak year, but the form of the NH Chase has been franked several times now, and it is turning out to be a much better race than the RSA.

You obviously don't like the horse so will you lay me a price for The Gold Cup?

On the contrary, all I've ever said was that the horse has yet to prove he can jump fences at speed and in the melee of a championship race. However, he's unproven enough for me to lay you half a point above whatever obtains on Betfair at the time of the bet - if you're daft enough to take it.

On the contrary, all I've ever said was that the horse has yet to prove he can jump fences at speed and in the melee of a championship race. However, he's unproven enough for me to lay you half a point above whatever obtains on Betfair at the time of the bet - if you're daft enough to take it.

Very brave!

I'd guess he'll keep Minella Rocco and More of That apart. The conundrum for me is which Jonjo thinks is the better of the two, and given connections I suspect one will have four months of getting his handicap mark down. The problem is knowing which one.

I think Minella Rocco will end up being the better chaser, but Jonjo and JP may think differently. I've take some 33's each way to small stakes anyway.

Thistlecrack was only 3 secs outside the course record apparently
I must have missed something?

He was 4.55 sec slow!!! The hennessy was run in 6.00 secs fast.????who told you such rubbish????

The last race was run in a 3 second average, faster time.

If I have time I will look closer :0)

351F Lexus S'chase (Grade 1) €88,500.00( 3m - 5yo+ )

12131 1 Alelchi Inois (FR)(161) (WPMullins) -
11,10 31331 2 Arctic Skipper(150) (VLHalley) -
11,10 52052 3 Clarcam (FR)(154) (GElliott) -
11,104 Coneygree (GB) (MBradstock (inGB))
11,10 -f232 5 Djakadam (FR)(170) (WPMullins) -
11,10 -323p 6 Don Poli(161) (GElliott) -
11,107 Eduard (NRichards (in GB)) -
11,10 p-111 8 Empire Of Dirt(159) (GElliott)
11,10 43114 9 Fine Rightly(152) (SRBCrawford)
11,10 -5542 10 Gilgamboa(159) (EBolger)
11,10 -p5f1 11 Irish Cavalier (RCurtis (in GB))
11,10 3pp-2 12 Lord Windermere(154) (JHCulloty)
11,1013 Many Clouds (OSherwood (in GB))
11,1014 Minella Rocco (JO'Neill (in GB))
11,1015 More Of That (JO'Neill (in GB))
11,10 -p-23 16 Mozoltov (GB)(150) (MFMorris)
11,10 21-13 17 Otago Trail(150) (VWilliams (in GB))
11,10 f222f 18 Outlander(157) (GElliott)
11,10 32fp2 19 Road To Riches(161) (NMeade)
11,10 -1663 20 Roi Des Francs (FR)(157) (GElliott)
11,10 11p16 21 Smashing (FR)(161) (MFMorris)
11,10 1p311 22 Sub Lieutenant(159) (HdeBromhead)
11,1023 Taquin Du Seuil (FR) (JO'Neill (inGB))
11,10 -u221 24 Valseur Lido (FR)(169) (HdeBromhead)
11,10 2-264 25 Wounded Warrior(153) (NMeade)
11,10 4u141 26 Zabana(153) (ALynch)
11,03 27 Kotkikova (FR) (NHenderson (inGB))
11,03 1-111 28 Vroum Vroum Mag (FR)(155)(WPMullins)

Last edited:
It was. He wouldn't have been far off Many Clouds otherwise.

He was noticeably carrying a lot of condition. I don't know whether Jonjo has him well short of peak fitness, or whether he's just stuffy horse that takes a lot of work to get to his peak.

Gary Moore seriously thinking of supplementing Ar Mad for the King George!!! He said he's kicking himself for initially scratching him and reckons that after today he clearly needs a step up in trip!! Am my missing something here? Surely you'd try something less audacious? Horses more stamina assured than him have often walked home those last few furlongs!!

33/1 with Bet Bright if it floats your boat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knee jerk reactions seem to be the theme of this season. Ar Mad absolutely clouted one today which completely stopped him in his tracks. I think it's far more likely that it was his God given ability that got him so close at the line rather than an abundance of stamina. It's a very creditable first run back after injury and as Gary Moore himself said, he'll come on a bunch for that.

An error free round at full fitness would've put him bang there today. Has to be given another chance over the minimum trip.

There must be some other viable option tho to test the water. And it wouldn't cost the owners a supplementary fee. Step him up to two and a half first even.

Last edited:
The Desert Orchid at Kempton (not G1 admittedly) and the Victor Chandler would seem viable targets to me. Then put him away for the Celebration chase if he has to go right handed

More of That looked much fitter than Minella Rocco did yesterday. A decent enough performance over a trip too short I thought. Presumably he'll be seen over three miles next time unless they're thinking Ryanair.

Not for this thread really, but huge credit to Nicky Henderson. Josses Hill's jumping was fantastic, particularly when you consider how awful it's been previously. He's obviously had a huge amount of schooling over poles and fences. I'd say he is a real Ryanair candidate on that performance, which is something I couldn't imagine ever saying!

Back