The Road to the 2017 Cheltenham Gold Cup

Josses Hill is a flat track horse.

He is and he isn't if you know what I mean. I think Henderson has been fairly selective as to where he's been campaigned since he went chasing, largely due to his documented jumping issues. It was his jumping that was killing him, not his dislike of a stiff track. As a novice hurdler he came second to Vautour at Cheltenham in a race that has been franked again and again.

Now that his jumping seems to have improved hopefully we'll see him give his true running at the likes of Cheltenham & Sandown etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A big field Festival race just won't suit him. Today and first time out he dominated a small field, he won't at Cheltenham.

Ruby down to Ride Djakadam in the John Durkan. Townend goes to Cork for Douvan. The JD chase is worth 20K more for 1st place than the Hilly way so was always going to be that way.

JD field consists of:

Alelchi Inois
Black Hercules
Djakadam
Outlander (Russell)
Sub Lieutenant (cooper)

You're not the only one. Bit tongue in cheek here :D
6f9846fd2d50f84ba246de568b4e1f2d.jpg

Last edited:
Black Hercules has done little to suggest he's a better option than Djakadam at the moment. That JLT looks **** poor when looking back.

Doesn't surprise me Ruby goes to Punchestown.

It's all about the Grade 1's. Also, Djakadam has a difficult task on his hands in a very competitive John Durkan. As such will be best served by Ruby's assistance. Douvan will have a school around.

Djakadam's performance in last years renewal was a lovely run. Similar should be good enough tomorrow.
At 12/1 for the Gold Cup, he's one for ew Festival multiple's for me.

Black Hercules has done little to suggest he's a better option than Djakadam at the moment. That JLT looks **** poor when looking back.

That's kind of what you'd expect, given Black Hercules is only starting his second-season over fences, Bonjers. I just have it in for Djakadam, for reasons I can't quite figure out. :lol:

As for last year's JLT, the form hasn't been hugely tested to date, but As De Mee didn't do it any harm at Aintree, and BDM has been running solid races under big-weights since. Too early to write it off.

I like Sub Lieutenant a lot. Djack looked good in the race last year. For a horse perceived as a stayer it was a good showing.

Sub Lieutenants jumping will hopefully do it for him

Fair balls to Djakadam....hard to fault really.

Case to be made for him being mired in between trips, in terms of the Festival? A quick ground Ryanair might happen to quickly for him, but a quick ground Gold Cup maybe he just doesn't quite get home?

I need to get over it with this yoke - there's plenty to like about him.

I think they should send him to Kempton.

He just might be a bit like Florida Pearl.

Djakadam Kempton??????????????In the words of Judas to Jesus/Billy Connelly "See you big man I like you, I've always liked you but when you get a glass of that cheap wine in you, your patters rotten"

He'd never go the pace against the likes of Cue Card round there........He's way too one paced.....Big strong Mill House type a horse who never ran in a King George.

Now Douvan? There is a horse he'd love it round there........Did you see the distance he put between himself and the others 4 out? One minute the horse in 2nd looked like he could stay with him he next thing Douvan was nearly 10 lengths clear in a matter of strides...he has got spped to burn and we haven't even come close to having seen the best of him

He has just won a second Durkan over 20f, Tanlic - the pace of the King George should hold zero fears for him.

I'm not sure he doesn't get home in a Gold Cup. I think he's just a very very good horse who is more than likely to find one or two too good for him at the very highest level.

He's the best option Willie has for the Gold Cup by a distance at present so I think the chances of him going for the Ryanair are zero.

Yes I'm sure we could dig out a similar quote on last years thread about the late great Vautour. The difference here is Ruby and the owners don't have the same options to start messing about.

Faugheen and AP on the other hand.................watch this space.

Exactly and has won it twice now.

Race fit opponents today too.

C'mon lads you are pulling my chain. He just was all out to beat 160 rated animals Cue Card is different gravy to them and that's without adding Thistlecrack to the mix. He's miles too slow for the King George and isn't even quoted for the race.............i haven't heard the interviews but I doubt if it is even on Willie's subconscious to run him at Kempton

Back