The Road to the 2017 Cheltenham Gold Cup

Seen that..Fingers crossed...

Hope he's ok for all concerned but Coneygree being pulled out of the KG so early is a worry. I've ridden a lot of horses in the past who had a bad day at the office and 3-4 days later they turn in a sparkling piece of work and leave you scratching your head. Maybe I am just suspicious but for such an important race I would have thought she would have waited till mid week....I don't think we're getting the full story.:confused:

Seen that..Fingers crossed...

Hope he's ok for all concerned but Coneygree being pulled out of the KG so early is a worry. I've ridden a lot of horses in the past who had a bad day at the office and 3-4 days later they turn in a sparkling piece of work and leave you scratching your head. Maybe I am just suspicious but for such an important race I would have thought she would have waited till mid week....I don't think we're getting the full story.:confused:

Exactly what I was thinking

Me too. Immediate thoughts were that we may not see Coneygree on a racecourse again. Hopefully that's an extremely pessimistic thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think anything's wrong with Coneygree, they know he'll have a better chance over further to beat CC and if the last work wasn't good enough then its understandable they wouldn't want to risk it.

Native River is such a game horse to see race. Really attacks his fences.

Tizzard story is a really amazing one. Fair play to him for his campaigning and type of horse he trains

immense performance today. suspect he finds one or two too good in the big one but he fully deserves to line up.

Trainer Colin Tizzard said: "I might send Cue Card to the Ascot Chase and the Ryanair Chase because I don’t really want Native River, Cue Card and Thistlecrack in the same race."

Man this just gets weirder by the minute. Cue Card all but proved he's up to just about winning a Gold Gup when going best of all 3 out but fell?

Obviously not at his best in the King George it is possible he is not the horse he was and the Betfair just flattered him. In which case he wins nothing at the Festival.

If that is not the case and he had an off day then Tizzard's job is to get him back on track.

Let's say he gets him spot on for March what is he going to tell the owner..............Don't take on Thistlecrack? How about you go fook yourself Colin would be my response

The Ryanair when 2nd place in the Gold Cup is worth as much? I don't think so.

If any horse deserves another crack at the Gold Cup it's surely Cue Card?

Cue Card is rising 11yo, still unproven at the Gold Cup trip, and is effectively now the yard third-string for the race. I don't see targeting the Ryanair as an alternative option at the Festival, being a major drama myself.

Last edited:
they had the owners on c4 before the king george and in the middle of what seemed to be an admittance from them that they were up against it versus thistlecrack they said "well we've won a king george already, it's the gold cup we want"

i'd be surprised if they just drew stumps on the idea on the basis of one run

he's obviously got a lot to find against TC but i'd be fairly disappointed in them if they opted for the ryanair

they had the owners on c4 before the king george and in the middle of what seemed to be an admittance from them that they were up against it versus thistlecrack they said "well we've won a king george already, it's the gold cup we want"

i'd be surprised if they just drew stumps on the idea on the basis of one run

he's obviously got a lot to find against TC but i'd be fairly disappointed in them if they opted for the ryanair

Being in Thailand I never seen that but hey!! just proves how smart I am:lol:

Of course they want to go Gold Cup... TC could come down at the first Gawd forbid.........then as an owner you would be free to blow your brains out

Having seen first hand how p@@@@d off Noel Meade was last year with the news Road To Riches was Ryanair Chase bound I firmly believe anyone with Gold Cup aspirations from Cue Card to Flemenstar should be allowed take their chance.
When Norton's Coin, Lord windemere et al can win everyone is allowed to dream.
The year Carvills Hill was home and hosed after Chepstow it was an also ran there that benefited at Gold Cup so nothing is certain in racing.

The RTR tripe last year was ridiculous. If I was the trainer in that scenario I would have told them straight. He runs in Gold Cup. Now jog on.

Sarah Bradstock already speaking of "Aintree and Punchestown", though caveats it with "I'm sure he'll get to Cheltenham".

Doesn't sound too promising.

No mention of Coneygree telling her "He is fed up", or that he thinks he "might have overdid it at Christmas".

As we said at the time, it was ominous that the decision not to run Coneygree at Kempton was taken so far in advance of the race.

The thing is he came back for the Betfair and never raised a gallop despite the fact he went off at 2/1 and that form might just be crap..

So if he goes straight to the Gold Cup how can it be with any confidence if she thought he was straight enough to win the Betfair?

They are on a wing and a prayer with him..........Their thinking? hopefully if he can't win the Gold Cup but stays sound maybe he'll improve for the race and we can win at Aintree or Punchestown like Grassy says.

I still have faith in Don Cossack coming back and winning for a 2nd time and all is well so far.

Tizzard knew all alog Thistlecrack was going KG but didn't want to tell us?................*uck him DC for the Gold Cup :lol:

Back