The Road to the 2017 Cheltenham Gold Cup

33s with bet365 this morning (could have changed mind) and 40/1 with betfair last week.

Might stick a few quid each way on him. Backed him every month for national at 25s, 16s most places now I think.

Surely if Thistlecrack stands he wins this now, failing to see what could beat him. Only Cossack who quite possibly may not be the same horse again.
Still available at 40s with betfair. Considering native river is 13/2, its not such a bad price.

Sent from my SM-G360F using Tapatalk

SkyBet's 4/6 that Tizzard trains the winner is hugely interesting - although not sure how much they'll let us have on - when you consider he trains four of the first seven in the betting including the odds on (in places) favourite and one of the other three is coming back from serious injury.

Last edited:
No big surprise there. They never come back (not from tendon injuries anyway)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Empire Of Dirt in same ownership. I wonder if this is significant, and we might see him re-routed to the Gold Cup?

Last edited:
Full respect for the Don. Such a shame a fit Don doesn't line up and put it right up to Thistlecrack.

I suppose we knew to expect the worst where Don Cossack and Coneygree were concerned but it's a great pity all the same.

they're nuts if they run cue card in anything but this. it's turning into a weak renewal and they shouldn't just give up on the basis of one below par run. he's obviously got a lot on his plate to overcome thistlecrack but as mentioned several times throughout the thread he's got to jump all the fences and the trip is still a minor question mark.

Just shows how spoiled we were in the era of Kauto Star, Denman and to a certain extent, Long Run, and how soon we forget that the Gold Cup is a total ******* of a race at finishing the careers of the winners. The last five GC winners have won two races since the season in which they triumphed? Bobs Worth a Lexus and Coneygree that win in October 2015?

No big surprise there. They never come back (not from tendon injuries anyway)

Lotta Faugheen fans be hoping you're wrong but there are tendon injuries and tendon injuries and many do come back many more don't...A horse of PN's was off for a year Caid Du Berlais and won a 12k race on his second outing this season.

If things keep going the way they are going Nicky Henderson will be bringing Bobs Worth out of retirement.

I was really hoping Don Cossack would make it and give Thistlecrack a true test.

Mind you Native River is bound to make it a real test of stamina but opposing Thistlecrack should carry a gov heath warning.

I have to wonder was Cue Card's Betfair race was not flattering after his poor King George Performance but surely he must be given another chance before Cheltenham before saying where he runs

Remember Cue Card has been at/near the top since winning the Bumper as a 4 year old !
Write him off at your peril.
As for Djakadam he is still only eight and Gold Cup is his main target for the year.
Plenty of life in this Gold Cup field, make no mistake.
Len hit the nail on the head when saying we were spoiled in the last ten years, but plenty of decent horses about.
Should Empire Of Dirt come good Colm Murphy would not be wrong in committing hari kari.

Cue Card stays this route apparently. It should be interesting because even if TC is an unknown who could take it all in his stride - plus he's unbackable at the prices-, Djakadam was the one with the best GC form in this field but now with CC in it as well Djak might find another too good in his 3rd attempt.

He'll surely find at least one too good if running the same race as the last two years but a different prep this time may work out better. The fall at Trials Day last year wouldn't have done his GC chance any good so I'd say there's a reasonable chance he'll improve this time. A concern that he didn't win the Lexus though

running only 4 lengths behind the best staying chaser since Kauto would've won Djak a lot of renewals. I actually think that form will be sufficient to win it if the rest don't improve(TC) or show their best(CC over 3 miles). That implies he should run to that form so Lexus is a worry but the excuse is that it came too soon after John Durkan..

Back