The Road to the 2017 Cheltenham Gold Cup

A horse I would like to see run, in what is slowly becoming a poor renewal, is Many Clouds.

He ran in the Gold Cup the year he won the National so why not again?

A strong pace with the likes of Native River forcing it, a bit of cut in the ground and who knows.

As impressive as he was it must be said Thistlecrack has not yet had a real test over fences.

He has also never gone as far as this which while you think it is not a problem easily could be.

I just think about horses like Pendil who like Thistlecrack looked unbeatable but lost twice in the race.

So much can go wrong and Many Clouds has enough class to capitalize on it if things go wrong as has the likes of last years 3rd Don Poli

I reckon the field might be bigger than expected with more than a few trainers thinking their horse can be placed and maybe!!!!!!

Last time I saw anything on the subject Many Clouds was an intended runner in the Gold Cup. I'm an admirer and definitely fancy him to be placed but the main target is the Nashnal.

Agree totally.
He would be a record breaker to win a Gold Cup after winning GN but his owner deserves to make history with all the bad luck he endured in his early years as an owner.
Remember the year at The Festival Hedgehunter nearly unseated two out with the NH Chase at his mercy only for another Hemmings horse do the same one or two races later when in front. Had second and third in the Bumper to finish his day !

Hemmings saved my football club Preston North End.
I won't back him, but if by some miracle Many Clouds did win the Gold Cup I'd be as happy as him.

1 more victory in the national will make him the most successful Grand National winning owner ever. Hedgehunter, Ballabriggs, Many Clouds.

That's great news but the question has to be has time caught up with him, he's been on the go for 9 years now.
or did the win in very heavy ground at Haydock take the edge off him at Kempton?

If they even suspect that I am not sure I'd want to run him in the Ascot Chase I'd rest him as much as possible and go straight to Cheltenham.

Ruby Walsh reckoned after he was defeated by Denman "He (Kauto Star) left his race at Ascot" true or not PN never ran him in it again.

The last 3 winners never made it to Cheltenham although Cue Card won the Ryanair after winning it 4 years ago but that was then and this is now,

Hopefully nothing will turn up to take him on and he can have an easy time of it but the last thing he needs is a hard race before the Gold Cup IMO

Last edited:
Interesting to see Sizing John is to step up in trip to 3m for Irish Gold Cup next month according to Jessie Harrington.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pity for those with him backed AP for the Ryanair.

Potts would run a 6f horse in the GC if he trained it.

Irish GC is winnable for SJ but the Cheltenham version, maybe not this year at the very least

That's half my AP bets down the shitter if he doesn't run in the Ryanair.
Couldn't even see him placing in the GC.

I was very taken by Bristol De Mai on Saturday and have taken 16/1 NRNB for the Gold Cup.

The bare form doesn't add up to a winning chance but he looked to have an awful lot in reserve.

Pity for those with him backed AP for the Ryanair.

Potts would run a 6f horse in the GC if he trained it.

Irish GC is winnable for SJ but the Cheltenham version, maybe not this year at the very least

Not worried myself, they aren't daft enough to take Thistlecrack on with the Ryanair looking so winnable.

No, it's far from ideal.

Four figure pay out in danger so what to do. I've topped up my Sub Lieutenant Ryanair possie as he did run well enough the other day, miles clear of Black Hercules. And I've had to take 9s about SJ for Leopardstown.

To be fair he'd have to win and win well to be diverted.

It does look very winnable. The other factor is would they run him if the ground was very soft bordering on or actually heavy.

Looks like More of That has steered off the Road to the Cheltenham Gold Cup. Entered in the cross country at the weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a runner but Sara Bradstock who may or may not be on the ale says everything looks good for Coneygree to make Punchestown

Not sure his tender joints will get the ground he desires mind

Not a runner but Sara Bradstock who may or may not be on the ale says everything looks good for Coneygree to make Punchestown

Not sure his tender joints will get the ground he desires mind

I do hope Coneygree gets a run out this year. He'll be very angry if he doesn't.

Back