The Road to the 2017 Cheltenham Gold Cup

Kauto stamina was't his strong suite(Ruby knew how to make it happen and I imagine he'll try the same tactics with Vautour, after last year's KG -go from the front- experiment failed) and was/would be vulnerable to a horse like Denman, Coneygree or Don Cossack at their best. Denman wasn't himself again after the heart problems thats why KS beat him that season, he was never the same horse.

So we forgive Denman his ailments but we know with absolute certainty that KS gave his running the day Denman beat him in the Gold Cup?

Pfft.

I'm not getting involved. Read the thread DG posted - it's all in there.

Last edited:
He's so under the radar compared to some of his stable companions........

I could make practically the same argument about Vautour, to be honest. There are probably four in Ricci's string alone, who command more column inches.....until December 27th 2016 anyway.

Last edited:
So we forgive Denman his ailments but we know with absolute certainty that KS gave his running the day Denman beat him in the Gold Cup?

Pfft.

I'm not getting involved. Read the thread DG posted - it's all in there.

Denman literally had his heart STOPPED in order to fix his irregular heart beat, he missed a full year thereafter. What was KS excuse the previous year in which Denman was still undefeated over fences and was at his best ?

Interesting row I had on Twitter last week:

Grassie - Vautour or Kauto Star over 2m5f at Cheltenham, good ground. Who wins in a mythical match-up?

Interesting row I had on Twitter last week:

Grassie - Vautour or Kauto Star over 2m5f at Cheltenham, good ground. Who wins in a mythical match-up?

Good question!

Kauto Star didn't run often at the trip, but his Old Roan and Ascot Chase form were both right out the top-drawer. On the other hand, the track might just be in Vautour's favour.

I'd need to see the betting first. :lol:

Vautour not even fit to be mentioned in the same sentence as Kauto.

Ridiculous assessment, Benny, and typical of how badly he is under-estimated. Any other horse who had won a Supreme Novices, a JLT and a Ryanair - in his three outings at the Festival - would be lauded, and for the life of me, I cannot fathom why Vautour is not more universally admired. I find the attitude to this horse in some quarters very, very odd.

Last edited:
Powder will be kept as dry as possible before Xmas but for AP value purposes will be tracking the trajectory of Valseur, Vic, Zabana and Black Hercules.

Will be interesting to see how well KV comes back from that nasty sprawl at Leopardstown.

KV is my big hope for the season, injury permitting. Christ knows where he'd turn up though. Willie said he had the speed for the Arkle after his Leop victory but he's also done Thistlecrack over 3m. Intriguing horse.

Ridiculous assessment, Benny, and typical of how badly he is under-estimated. Any other horse who had won a Supreme Novices, a JLT and a Ryanair - in his three outings at the Festival - would be lauded, and for the life of me, I cannot fathom why Vautour is not more universally admired. I find the attitude to this horse in some quarters very, very odd.

Not to mention how impressive he has looked in all 3

KV is my big hope for the season, injury permitting. Christ knows where he'd turn up though. Willie said he had the speed for the Arkle after his Leop victory but he's also done Thistlecrack over 3m. Intriguing horse.

Agree with KV.

A plea from an increasingly senile amnesiac. Please give the full names of the horses you're talking about, I get brain sprain trying to work out who the eff you're talking about.

Speaking following Blood Crazed Tiger’s win at Cork today, Elliott stated “he (Don Cossack) is back doing roadwork and dressage for the past eight weeks and all the scans have been good and everything has been ok.
"The plan is to have one run and then go for the Gold Cup but he doesn't owe us anything so if he's not 120% he won't run."

Powder will be kept as dry as possible before Xmas but for AP value purposes will be tracking the trajectory of Valseur, Vic, Zabana and Black Hercules.

Black Hercules the one I'm very much interested in. Stupidly early days, but 33/1 about the Gold Cup has been taken.
Nothing flashy. Jumps and stays.

Going by Mullins comments in his stable tour with ATR Black Hercules will be going Ryanair route.

Last edited:
Back