The Road to the 2017 Cheltenham Gold Cup

Can't remember the penalty structure for the Denman - do NR and BDM meet at level weights?

Refreshingly, given the straightforward nature of the trainers involved, we don't have to worry about any ducking and diving between now and final decs.

I see they both carry 11st6bs. Most bookies can hardly split them despite Native River being much shorter in the Gold Cup. Never ceases to amaze me how often you see that and sometimes the big race outsider goes off favourite.

Hope you are right and they both run, what a cracking race it should be. On the down side it could deplete the Gold Cup filed even further if one of them gets trounced by the other.

Aidan Coleman now rides Native river in the Denman. What happened Johnson in the last race?

Edit. Richard Johnson reported to be unwell. Flu seemingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hard to crab Native River after that. Cleared away very nicely.

Like Le Mercurey for the National. Solid jumper and shapes like a real stayer.

It is going to take a very, very good performance from something, to deny Native River in the Gold Cup, imo.

Disagree. Le Mercurey is a two and a half mile horse and NR will have to jump and travel much better at Cheltenham. Not saying he can't win but for me he's a 10/1 shot.

Yup quite happy to be on at 6/1. Shame I missed the fancy prices but this fella looks the real deal. Didn't back him today as thought it might be a bit sharp and ideal for BDM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends.

If Don Poli wins it, you can write the Irish ones off (possibly Djakadam excepted).

Don Poli stays on for a place I think.

I also reckon he finishes ahead of Native River.
Depends if the horse can be bothered on the day.
Don Polis beat Djakadam in the last two times they've met, but you refuse to rule out Djakadam.

Last edited:
That's where I am. Thistlecrack hard to beat on decent ground. If soft I'd have it between Djakadam and Native River.

With a clear round on better ground then Thistlecrack will be hard to beat. His jumping is a concern for me though.
Nothing not to like about Native River though. Can see Djakadam being in the 3 but whether he can win I'm not sure.

Don Poli stays on for a place I think.

I also reckon he finishes ahead of Native River.
Depends if the horse can be bothered on the day.
Don Polis beat Djakadam in the last two times they've met, but you refuse to rule out Djakadam.

What Euro said. Djakadam is straightforward, whereas Don Poli is a basket-case, who is as likely to tail himself off, as run into the places.

FWIW, I expect Empire of Dirt to put himself in the GC picture tomorrow.

It is going to take a very, very good performance from something, to deny Native River in the Gold Cup, imo.

Be Ironic if the fav's taken out of his comfort zone by the jumping of his own stablemate, eh?
Not hard to envisage with proper cut in the ground, either.

Back