The Road to the 2017 Cheltenham Gold Cup

I would have thought his race would be the National but @142 on the machine it would seem they aren't even considering the race for him

Another point about Djakadam is that he's still a young horse, 7 going on 8, and might be able to produce a bit more this season.

Not sure about that, Art.

Djakadam has had twelve chase starts now, which is three more than Vautour and more than twice as many as Coneygree. I don't think age is relevant, tbh, and I'm not at all convinced that he can progress again.

He is not one that could be considered a shell of a horse either - for me he falls in the bracket of very good horse just below top top class.

In saying all of that, I was surprised how he won the JD last year with such relative ease

He's still young enough but I've reservations about whether he can find the improvement to hit the top step. That said, if we were to get another soft ground race then he would have a chance for sure.
He does look decent place material.

Would like to see him given the chance to pick up the 2 big races in Ireland through the winter.

Seeing as they are competing against Gigi this Christmas and Ricci's other will likely be at Kempton, he should really take in the Lexus

Last edited:
About time he was campaigned like a 3 miler.

Nice showing from Valseur.

Would question his jumping at championship pace a little but glad I backed him before today.

Waiting for the Gigi boys to tell me he is Ryanair bound now

Don Poli looked lazy again today, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was half fit and Elliott is basing his campaign around getting his mark down before the National.

Valseur Lido looked impressive and won as he liked in the end, but Silviniaco Conti looked as though he blew up, still finished second, and had a well paying prep for Haydock.

He's still young enough but I've reservations about whether he can find the improvement to hit the top step.

One of the main reasons I've backed Djak is because I think there's an excellent chance he doesn't need to show this improvement.

Last edited:
Conti is never on top form first time out but that's still lovely from Valseur Lido. You couldn't ask for much more than that.

Great start for Valseur Lido -I think he will get an intelligent campaign and will appreciate the distance of the Gold Cup-jumping is the doubt-even so 16/1 is a price with a certain amount of fat on it.

One of the main reasons I've backed Djak is because I think there's an excellent chance he doesn't need to show this improvement.

I haven't given up hope he can go one better. Whether he would need to improve may depend on the ground. That said, I can see him being in the 3 whatever the ground.

I question the logic of those who have faith in Djakadam, but have none in Vautour.

When your God is found to be fraudulent, then you need to find another God.....otherwise you are no better than ISIS.

Yes....that's how much of an intellectual threat you are. :cool:

It's all based on price. If Vautour was 16s I'd be accentuating the Kicking King's rather than the Florida Pearl's.

Racing Post @RacingPost
16s
Vautour has died after a freak accident at Willie Mullins' yard. "He broke a foreleg and has had to be put down," reported the trainer
eurgh how f*cking awful :(

just read that on twitter, i have goose bumps, how many blows will Willie receive this seasons.. this is a huge one.. RIP

Back