The Road to the 2017 Cheltenham Gold Cup

Looking at More of that ground should be perfect and I'm sure he's got a monster performance in him at least once. His run last time was very eyecatching until the fall.

P2P Expert Declan Phelan points out some interesting facts regarding Djakadam:

I will keep to my convictions and repeat that horses who have failed in previous Gold Cups deserve to be opposed. Cue Card is the most decorated runner in the line-up. In serious contention when falling in this race last year, he has been a little in and out this winter, excellent wins at Ascot and Haydock mixed with below par efforts at Wetherby and Kempton. Father time may be beginning to tell against this veteran. Every second pundit I meet seems to have a love affair with Djakadam for this race: I am dead against him. His proponents reference that he has placed second in the last two runnings of this race and that he has had his season tailored to line up fresh this time and he has enjoyed an ideal preparation as they describe it. Sounds great but let me help you deal in facts. During the career of Djakadam, he has won only once at a trip of three miles or more, that was when he won the 2015 Thyestes Chase, when competing off a rating of 145 (as a comparative Champagne West won the 2017 version off 154) …that was a handicap chase….to date, he has never won any graded chase over 3 miles plus….and he is now in his fourth year as a chaser. Returning to 2016, the narrative now is that he was not 100% in last year’s Gold Cup because he had not fully recovered from a cut suffered in a fall at this track in January….Yet this week last year Willie Mullins opted to run him in the Gold Cup in preference to Vautour because the story was he was working superior to Vautour at home….of course Vautour cruised to a Ryanair win last March, and Djakadam ended up a fortunate second in the Gold Cup (would have been third if Cue Card had stood up)….my conviction all along was that Vautour had sheer class and Djakadam does not, and they played the cards wrong in 2016, trying to win both races….spinning the story that Djakadam was out working Vautour prior to the 2016 Festival then, and now making excuses about him not having a clean preparation simply don’t tally…..what we have with Djakadam is the perfect “excuses horse”….the truth with most excuses nags is that they simply are a tad shy of the class desired to get the job done. Finally, in my case to the jury to convict Djakadam, I offer the clear evidence that he is merely a horse for the deep winter months…..his record in the last three years for races in the months of March and April….6 runs…0 wins….he is not a spring horse….I close my book of evidence there and submit that Djakadam will not be the horse to supply Willie Mullins with his first Gold Cup.

Minella Rocco

If they go a good clip and he gets his act together he is overpriced. Likes course, ground time of year. EW Bet for me in average GC

Last edited:
I think us Native River fans will know our fate reasonably early. If there's still 5 or 6 of them on his tail at the top of the hill we could be in trouble.

3.30 TIMICO CHELTENHAM GOLD CUP CHASE (GRADE 1) (CLASS 1) (5yo+) Winner £327,463 14 runners 3m2f70y Good ITV
[TABLE="width: 695"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]NO.[/TD]
[TD]FORM[/TD]
[TD="colspan: 2"]HORSE[/TD]
[TD]AGE[/TD]
[TD]WGT[/TD]
[TD]TRAINER RTF%[/TD]
[TD]JOCKEY[/TD]
[TD]OR[/TD]
[TD]TS[/TD]
[TD]MON
11-10[/TD]
[TD]Notes[/TD]
[TD]RPR[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]3[/TD]
[TD]43121[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]Cue Card[SUP]27[/SUP]t [/TD]
[TD]11[/TD]
[TD]11-10[/TD]
[TD]Colin Tizzard[SUP]20[/SUP][/TD]
[TD]Paddy Brennan[/TD]
[TD]170[/TD]
[TD]160[/TD]
[TD]180[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]184[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]4[/TD]
[TD]23-213[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]Djakadam[SUP]79[/SUP] [/TD]
[TD]8[/TD]
[TD]11-10[/TD]
[TD]W P Mullins[SUP]45[/SUP][/TD]
[TD]R Walsh[/TD]
[TD]165[/TD]
[TD]166[/TD]
[TD]174[/TD]
[TD]+[/TD]
[TD]181[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]10[/TD]
[TD]22F21[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]Outlander[SUP]79[/SUP][/TD]
[TD]9[/TD]
[TD]11-10[/TD]
[TD]Gordon Elliott[SUP]44[/SUP][/TD]
[TD]B J Cooper[/TD]
[TD]168[/TD]
[TD]131[/TD]
[TD]174[/TD]
[TD]p[/TD]
[TD]174[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]2-2213[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]Bristol De Mai[SUP]34[/SUP] [/TD]
[TD]6[/TD]
[TD]11-10[/TD]
[TD]Nigel Twiston-Davies[SUP]50[/SUP][/TD]
[TD]Daryl Jacob[/TD]
[TD]166[/TD]
[TD]149[/TD]
[TD]171[/TD]
[TD]++[/TD]
[TD]177[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2[/TD]
[TD]FP-311[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]Champagne West[SUP]50[/SUP] [/TD]
[TD]9[/TD]
[TD]11-10[/TD]
[TD]Henry De Bromhead[SUP]47[/SUP][/TD]
[TD]David Mullins[/TD]
[TD]167[/TD]
[TD]154[/TD]
[TD]170[/TD]
[TD]+p[/TD]
[TD]176[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]13[/TD]
[TD]16-473[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]Smad Place[SUP]48[/SUP] [/TD]
[TD]10[/TD]
[TD]11-10[/TD]
[TD]Alan King[SUP]44[/SUP][/TD]
[TD]Wayne Hutchinson[/TD]
[TD]162[/TD]
[TD]157[/TD]
[TD]170[/TD]
[TD]+
(176)[/TD]
[TD]172[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]9[/TD]
[TD]1-2111[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]Native River[SUP]34[/SUP]p [/TD]
[TD]7[/TD]
[TD]11-10[/TD]
[TD]Colin Tizzard[SUP]20[/SUP][/TD]
[TD]Richard Johnson[/TD]
[TD]168[/TD]
[TD]158[/TD]
[TD]167[/TD]
[TD]p?[/TD]
[TD]175[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]12[/TD]
[TD]3-3211[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]Sizing John[SUP]33[/SUP][/TD]
[TD]7[/TD]
[TD]11-10[/TD]
[TD]Mrs John Harrington[SUP]60[/SUP][/TD]
[TD]Robbie Power[/TD]
[TD]167[/TD]
[TD]150[/TD]
[TD]167[/TD]
[TD]p[/TD]
[TD]172[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]5[/TD]
[TD]P11-12[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]Empire Of Dirt[SUP]33[/SUP]t [/TD]
[TD]10[/TD]
[TD]11-10[/TD]
[TD]Gordon Elliott[SUP]44[/SUP][/TD]
[TD]Jack Kennedy[/TD]
[TD]166[/TD]
[TD]118[/TD]
[TD]166[/TD]
[TD]p[/TD]
[TD]171[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]14[/TD]
[TD]3-5241[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]Tea For Two[SUP]33[/SUP][/TD]
[TD]8[/TD]
[TD]11-10[/TD]
[TD]Nick Williams[SUP]40[/SUP][/TD]
[TD]Lizzie Kelly[/TD]
[TD]158[/TD]
[TD]138[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]169[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]6[/TD]
[TD]151P35[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]Irish Cavalier[SUP]27[/SUP]p [/TD]
[TD]8[/TD]
[TD]11-10[/TD]
[TD]Rebecca Curtis[SUP]25[/SUP][/TD]
[TD]Paul Townend[/TD]
[TD]156[/TD]
[TD]134[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]168[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]11[/TD]
[TD]5-3F21[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]Saphir Du Rheu[SUP]29[/SUP] [/TD]
[TD]8[/TD]
[TD]11-10[/TD]
[TD]Paul Nicholls[SUP]44[/SUP][/TD]
[TD]Sam Twiston-Davies[/TD]
[TD]156[/TD]
[TD]150[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]((175))[/TD]
[TD]168[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]7[/TD]
[TD]21-3FU[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]Minella Rocco[SUP]33[/SUP]tp[SUP]1[/SUP] [/TD]
[TD]7[/TD]
[TD]11-10[/TD]
[TD]Jonjo O´Neill[SUP]47[/SUP][/TD]
[TD]Noel Fehily[/TD]
[TD]156[/TD]
[TD]112[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]166[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]8[/TD]
[TD]3-P36U[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]More Of That[SUP]33[/SUP]p [/TD]
[TD]9[/TD]
[TD]11-10[/TD]
[TD]Jonjo O´Neill[SUP]47[/SUP][/TD]
[TD]Aidan Coleman[/TD]
[TD]157[/TD]
[TD]68[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]166[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

I’m only going to have one more involvement in the betting. I have Cue Card at 8/1, Bristol De Mai at various prices from 14/1 up to 33/1 and it would be a huge winner for me, and Saphir Du Rheu at 50s. While I have reservations about the finishing efforts of King’s runners this week, Smad Place’s slaughtering of Many Clouds in the trial here last January gives him prospects of a place although there’s no guarantee he’s still as good. But at least he’s here and he’s 11lbs better off with Native River for just under 10 lengths from their Hennessy meeting when Smad Place never really went with his usual enthusiasm. I’ll try to see if I can get a nice place-only price about him.

I see Djakadam, Outlander and Champagne West as entirely credible winners. If Djakadam wasn’t quite right last season when he put up a career best then he can be fancied to get close to Cue Card. Outlander and Champagne West are curve horses who are entitled to go close too. If Native River is clear approaching the last I’ll be cheering him on but it’s a huge task he faces on the form he’s shown.

Overall, though, it’s an incredibly open and high class race.

Last edited:
Is EOD still running in this? I'm glad I didn't throw my ticket away if so at a big price. Not that I'd be expecting a performance if it went all out yesterday....

I think Cue Card might just do the business today. Thrown Djakadam into some multiples just in case RUby has another unbelievable day

Nice performance. The big price I had on him for the Ryanair is hurting right now...

Just glad Cue Card is OK. Just doesn't go on good ground at this level anymore.

Djakadam unlucky to keep coming up short, but think Sizing John stayed well enough from the last to suggest he was getting by Djakadam anyway. Very Imperial Call in his progression since the turn of the year.

I can't have Sizing John for this. It's bound to be a searching test of stamina and vastly different to the sprint that the Irish GC turned into. Djakadam for me and I'd agree if he runs the same race as he has the last 2 years then he should win

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A rather embarrassing post this. Well done SJ backers.

Just saw Djakadam clouted the 2nd last so hard he broke the rails

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sizing John was super there style of it reminiscent of Best Mate's first Gold cup always travelling and won very comfortably .

Very pleased to see Cue Card gallop up the hill apparently unscathed he looked to be struggling to me unlike last year .

I think Native river went as well as he could Minella Rocco ran him out of second just as he did last year .

I imagine Nicholls will be thrilled with Saphir du Rheu

Brilliant win for all Sizing John's supporters. He was never on my radar either. Wasn't sure he'd stay too. Wrong on all fronts!

Great run from Saphir Du Rheu though, the only good thing about the race for me. :(

Back